GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Machine Shop Talk & AG Parts Machining

JuryRigger's Lathe Build Log

(1/30) > >>

JuryRigger:
   Starting this thread instead of adding to another thread about an ACP I intend to build...
For some time now; I have been working on building a small lathe-it will have about 3" of swing over the carriage and roughly 18" between centers; and I am trying to make it from as few store-bought components as possible; with hand tools and a drill press. So far; it appears all that I will need to purchase is a piece of all-thread for the leadscrew; and some pan head cap screws.
The bed I made some time ago while I had access to a welder-it is a piece of .5" x 3" cold rolled steel bar; plug welded to a piece of 1" x 2" bar; 24" long. All other parts are cut and filed by hand mostly from 1/2" or 3/8" mild steel plate and bar scraps that I have collected; along with several pieces of bearing bronze that I saved from the scrap bin...

The headstock is not quite what I originally intended; but the task of boring out and scraping in split block bearings from my extremely limited and precious bronze supply proved too daunting... And I reverted to some cheap .5" shaft 2-bolt flange bearings that I had laying around; which in a preliminary test cut made with everything clamped together proved to be quite rigid and relatively smooth... Drive will be by countershaft from miniature V-belt step pulleys from that will be turned from stacked 1/2" nylon flat stock; again saved from the garbage bin... If I can manage it later; I even have a gear set rescued from an old hammer drill that will make a backgear of about 1:3 final reduction... The carriage cross slide is moved with a 1/4-20 stud pulled off an old lawnmower engine; and the carriage feed itself will be from a 3/8-16 threaded rod by a split nut and carriage crank wormwheel.
Finishing this project will take some time; a lot of details are being sorted out as I go and some parts are not even designed yet... I intend to scrape in all sliding surfaces; which will be quite a task in of itself.
I will update with pics as I go; progress will be slow due to limited playtime and primitive methods, so hang in there  ;)
Jesse

JuryRigger:
The very beginning-

Overall view of carriage-

Close-ups of carriage-

Updated overall view with headstock-

Jesse

Rob M:
nice , the good news is once a chuck is mounted, you can make more parts for the lathe.  I see after rereading you already tested those headstock bearings.. cool project, a lot of pateience.

JuryRigger:
No kidding.... Not having ANY machine tools past a tired old drill press is a hassle.  :(
If and when this is ever finished; a hand-powered shaper is next....
Need to snap a pic of my test piece; mind you I had to tap the carriage along with a stick to "turn" it while revving up the hand drill I was spinning things with, cutting being done by a 3/4" triangle carbide insert with one corner broken off that I picked up bolted down on top of whatever fit under it, LOL...
Jesse

sb327:
Excellent stuff right here!!!!

Keep your determination, I’ll be cheering from here.

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version