GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > Hunter Class Field Target

16X for Field Target Hunter Class?

<< < (2/6) > >>

ReedOH:
Scott, Ed,  thank you for the information.

I took a look at an ALPS OutdoorZ three legged stool that states that it is 16 inches tall.  Is that the kind of tri legged stool that you were referring to?  Also, Trigger Sticks offers one, two, and three legged shooting sticks.  Which configuration is used the most?

Is there a general scope magnification that most people dial down to when they shoot the standing, or kneeling lanes?

The scope that I bought for the HW95 is a second focal plane.  Now that I've read your feedback, I can see that a first focal plane scope might be a bit friendlier to work with.  I got the impression when I was looking into what I should get, that most people were shooting Field Target with second focal plane scopes.

Frank in Fairfield:
Reed,
I use a Primos Gen I stick.
No, you can’t get them anymore.
Gen II and III can be used with a small modification.
I sit on a five gallon bucket but sometimes a shorter seat is better.
I am 75 years old, 6 ft 3.5”, 285 lbs..

Motorhead:
The HEIGHT of the seat you shoot from is best determined by how tall or short you are, leg & arm reach.
Your ideal position will have your elbows on your knees and gun comfortable held with the YOKE of BIPOD out as far as you can on rifles fore stock.
The height of your seat changes the ratio of butt to knee. If seats to high you can't get your elbows locked in on the knees .... So one wants to generally shoot from a seat LOWER than a bucket.  I'm 6' with long legs and arms & shoot off a tri-stool of just 14" and could go shorter BUT NOT any taller.

RULES dictate BIPOD or Mono Pod .... TRIPODs are not allowed ( unless a leg removed ) which is not stable anyways or desired to loose the vertical support of 2 opposed legs where 2 canted is not stable.

nced:

--- Quote from: ReedOH on September 24, 2020, 01:36:02 PM ---Scott, Ed,  thank you for the information.

I took a look at an ALPS OutdoorZ three legged stool that states that it is 16 inches tall.  Is that the kind of tri legged stool that you were referring to?  Also, Trigger Sticks offers one, two, and three legged shooting sticks.  Which configuration is used the most?

Is there a general scope magnification that most people dial down to when they shoot the standing, or kneeling lanes?

The scope that I bought for the HW95 is a second focal plane.  Now that I've read your feedback, I can see that a first focal plane scope might be a bit friendlier to work with.  I got the impression when I was looking into what I should get, that most people were shooting Field Target with second focal plane scopes.

--- End quote ---
"I took a look at an ALPS OutdoorZ three legged stool that states that it is 16 inches tall.  Is that the kind of tri legged stool that you were referring to?
As long as surface of the shooter box is firm enough to suppport the tips of the legs with your body weight, all is good. I personally bought a "bucket" and swivel seat from a Gander Mountain decades ago to use as a shooting seat. I then cut off the bottom of the bucket so the height would allow me to place both elbows on my knees while aiming with the gun on cross sticks. Initially I cut a disk and a ring from a piece of 1x12 pine board to support the seat shell. The bottom ring was sized to the OD of the bucket where cut and the ring was sized to the ID of the bucket, then the bucket was screwed to the inner ring. This way my weight on the "bucket shell" was supported by the bottom disk and the screws into the side of the ring held the bottom to the shell. I used the bucket with a flat bottom disk for a while but found that on uneven shooter box ground that the disk was too unstable due to tottering a "high spot". Then I made another ring to go under the bottom disk and the "tottering on a high spot" issue was solved. Here are a few pics.......

"rigger Sticks offers one, two, and three legged shooting sticks.  Which configuration is used the most?"
Three legged sticks aren't allowed for hunter class field target unless one of the legs can be "folded up" and inoperative. My brother always used a two legged Triger stick whereas I used/use a two legged Stony Point cross stick, again bought at a Gander Mountain a few decades ago...........

"Is there a general scope magnification that most people dial down to when they shoot the standing, or kneeling lanes?"
Those with more current info please correct if I'm wrong because I would prefer to turn down the scope power for "standing lanes" but I was told that adjustment after starting wasn't allowed.

"I can see that a first focal plane scope might be a bit friendlier to work with"
I prefer the "second focal plane" because the reticle "stays the same" regardless of the focus distance which makes it easy to base my "holdover" on symbols added to my AO or sidewheel..........

Anywhoo....whatever works best for you is the way to go.

As a side note...........
Don't get too hung up on HFT minutia at first. Simply take what you have (run with what ya brung) and have some fun shooting a few matches. That way you'll get a handle on what works for you and what doesn't! I's very difficult to buy a "perfect" HFT rig that doesn't need to be updated as experience grows!

ReedOH:
Thank you guys.  The pictures helped a lot.

Ed,  your bucket modification was pretty creative. 

Frank,  what is the modification that you referred to regarding the later generation Trigger Sticks?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version