GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > Hunter Class Field Target

Range Finders - Useful practice tool...or not?

(1/2) > >>

GatorCountry:
Anyone find these useful for setup or practice for HFT?  There's one in the bargain gate currently that got me thinking about this.  Its got my curiosity up, but not sure how I'd use it.

I set my side wheel markings by focusing on measured increments once, then record/refine holdovers during practice at whatever mark lines up.  The number almost seems irrelevant.  The marks are just fixed focus/aim points.

At variable distances beyond the 10-55yds for HFT a range finder makes a lot of sense, but in the controlled/known HFT zone...am I missing something?

ss23:
Nice gun range. Is this yours?
You already have a range finder in your targets setup.
If you know your velocity you can estimate your trajectory at different ranges through practice.
A range finder is great outdoors in the hunting or plinking world, where ranges are not set.

tommy2toes:
I know you mentioned range finders in the context of HFT, but I bought mine for back yard pest control.  Have a number of trees at various distances and I wanted to make sure I knew exactly how far each was from my outside deck rail, where I hunt/pest from typically.

I bought a Nikon Monarch 3000 Image Stabilizer Range Finder ( spent more than I needed ), but I am very happy with it so far.  So for me, the range finder is used a lot for marking tree distances, that will have squirrel activity for back yard pest control. 

re. your base question, "are they useful?"  Yes, my hold overs/unders are now more precise for POA purposes but not exactly sure how this might apply to HFT under 55 yards, based on your question.

Will keep watching thread for an answer.

GatorCountry:

--- Quote from: ss23 on November 21, 2018, 11:03:11 AM ---Nice gun range. Is this yours?

--- End quote ---
The range is owned by a shooting buddy.  He cleared a 100+ yard lane into the woods on a slight downhill slope, that terminates at the base of a hill.  The pic shows part of a setup we created for a PB fun shoot.  I've got space, but mostly flat open land with neighbor's houses in line of sight.  His range is near perfect IMO.

--- Quote from: ss23 on November 21, 2018, 11:03:11 AM ---A range finder is great outdoors in the hunting or plinking world, where ranges are not set.

--- End quote ---
I believe we're stating the same thing differently and if so, that's what I was thinking...very useful for ranging beyond the preset markings (10-55yds) on the sidewheel.  Redundant inside those distances.

GatorCountry:

--- Quote from: tommy2toes on November 21, 2018, 11:06:40 AM ---I know you mentioned range finders in the context of HFT, but I bought mine for back yard pest control.  Have a number of trees at various distances and I wanted to make sure I knew exactly how far each was from my outside deck rail, where I hunt/pest from typically.

--- End quote ---
Definitely see the ability of a range finder to take the slope into account for true linear ground distance (probably a better term for that) as very useful too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version