GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > WFTF Class Field Target

WFTF PCP or WFTF Spring-Piston ... is it easier to see pellet strikes with PCP?

(1/1)

gokidd:
Addressing ONLY sub-12 fpe rifles (WFTF format), here is my question regarding PCP vs. Spring Piston.
Is it noticeably easier to see pellet strikes in real time on target faceplates while shooting a PCP rifle than a spring-piston rifle? Can you regularly see the pellets in flight?

I love my very well tuned HW97, but it still likes to jump in celebration of each firing, so I seldom see the pellet strike as it happens.
Bob

Allow me to add: I do not have photographic memory. I realize judging wind effects is a learned skill. I have a chart for windage corrections. The biggest glob of misses on a target does tell a tale. Wind is like a river. I am on a journey. Puppies are cute. If swelling persists for more than three hours consult a physician.

dan_house:
In flight will depend on a number of factors..... when the sun is just so, I can see the pellet arc in from apogee to just missing the KZ.... :)

seeing the splash on the face plate will depend on several factors.... your setup/posture/folow thru.

gonzav:
It will always be easier see pellet flight with a PCP. Recoil of the springer will always make it hard to see pellet flight. Although you might be able to see the pellet flight at longer distances when you recover from the recoil. If you have a soft and smooth shooting piston rifle, you will be able to see your pellet flight.

Motorhead:
Generally YES .... and only when you practice good follow threw technique really paying attention !!
Otherwise not really unless your shooting virgin face plates & paddles.

gokidd:
Fair enough, men, all of that sounds right and mirrors my own experiences with my lovely HW97.

Many thanks, as always, for the insight.
Bob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version