GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > Field Target Gates

ASC FT Match Notices and Results

<< < (19/19)

Cloud 9:
 FT Match Report Arlington Sportsman’s Club 03/26/2023

Our March match was what I can call “an adventure” for those of us who put it on each month.  We had to move the match back by one day to be able to support the ASC Youth Day event on Saturday.  Scott, Chris, and I spent all day helping young boys and girls experience the thrills of shooting an air rifle at reactive targets.  At the conclusion of this event at 4pm, we drove down to the 3D archery lanes and were greeted with grass that was almost one foot high on most lanes!  “Holy Crikey Batman, what’ll we do now?”  We made a quick call to our Archery Director, Rodney, and he agreed to run the zero-turn mower down the lanes (none of us are qualified yet) while I used the weedeater to clean up the edges.  This is a lesson in delegation for me; I need to get the assistant to the match director, Scott, who has time on his hands (unfortunately), to come out and mow before the next match and give him a free match entry that is worth $5!  He’s already painting the targets during his down time, so what’s one more task?

While I was helping Rodney mow, Chris and Scott started setting up on the lanes that didn’t need mowing. The layout this month was a warmup for the Cajuns Classic Grand Prix in Baton Rouge, Louisiana the next weekend and consisted of 2 targets per lane on 15 lanes and conformed to all AAFTA rules for GP’s.  All the targets were challenging due to long distances, elevated locations, deep shadows, small KZ’s, cramped shooting boxes, or obstructions in the obvious shot line.  Scott and Chris really took my layout to the max while they were setting it up.  When I finished mowing, I helped the guys do the last lane or two, confirmed the targets worked, and then we left at about 7:15pm…a 12-hour day!  Thanks to both, and to everyone who helps me setup, run, and takedown the course each month.  Kudos!!   The average Troyer this month was 34.5, SD 5.07, Avg Dist 31.6 yds, and Avg KZ 1.05”.

Sunday arrived early and I arrived tired but early to the club before the sun was up, but I sure love shooting Field Target outdoors in Texas in the spring!  It was warmer this month than it has been, with temps in the high 50’s when we started and up to the 70’s by the time we finished.  And everything looks green and alive too!  Shooters came from as far as Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Austin, San Antonio, Arkansas, and Houston to shoot with us today.  We had four new shooters this month, and they were paired with an experienced shooter to show them the ropes.  We started at 9:00am after an extended safety and rules meeting, and then spread out on the course “shotgun” style and started shooting.

Hunter PCP was once again the most numerous and contested class for the day with fifteen shooters.  1st place was Ron Robinson shooting his Daystate Wolverine with an ancient Weaver scope, unsorted pellets, and bad eyesight with 48/60, followed by Thom Davies shooting his FX Royale with 45/60 beating out Jim Byrd shooting his FX Impact with 44/60.

We had three Hunter Piston shooters today.  Long-time ASC member, Chris Simmons bested the others and finished 1stshooting 28/60 with his AA TX200.

In WFTF, we had three shooters.  Stan Kaloyanov finished 1st today with a 41/60 shooting his Thomas.

Finally, we had one shooter in the Unlimited class and one shooter in WFTF Piston class.  Jerry Cox shot 27/60 and Scott Cotton shot 36/60 in their classes, respectively.

The new shooters conveyed their extreme enjoyment to me after the match and assured me they would be back and maybe bring a friend next time.  Looking at the results, the scores were understandably lower than our normal matches due to the difficulty level, but some shooters performed better today than they typically do.  I guess strong challenges bring out the best in some of us.

You can see all the other scores and the equipment used in the table below.  Take a look at the growing content of our shooting score analyses website https://airgunshoot.com/ that shows your score on each lane, your hit percentage by lane or near/mid/far targets, how you compare to your class average, your class winner, and the HOA winner.  Thanks to Scott for his work on this, you should be able to tease out some areas where you can improve and hopefully finish higher in the standings.

Our next match will be on Saturday April 22 which is our usual 4th Saturday.   This match will start at 9am since the time has changed and it should hopefully be a little warmer.

See you at the next match,
Jeff Cloud
Field Target Match Director
Arlington Sportsman’s Club

Cloud 9:
FT Match Report Arlington Sportsman’s Club 04/22/2023

I decided a couple of weeks ago that our April match was going to be a repeat of our difficult March match to give the veteran shooters a real challenge.  Everything was going as planned until I was unable to be present on Friday to setup the course, so Scott had to do it by himself.  I will say that he did a great job and is now promoted to Assistant Match Director!  The course consisted once again of 2 targets per lane on 15 lanes and conformed to all AAFTA rules.  The average Troyer this month was 33.1, SD 5.07, Avg Dist 31.6 yds, and Avg KZ 1.08”. Thanks to Scott for the setup, and to everyone who helps me run and takedown the course each month.  Kudos!!   

It was a perfect spring Texas day for shooting outside!  The temps were in the 60’s when we started, and the winds weren’t nearly as strong or from the west like last month.  Shooters came from as far as Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Austin, San Antonio, Arkansas, Brownwood, and Houston to shoot with us today.  We had five new shooters this month that are part of the Howard Payne University Shooting Sports class, and they came to “take their final exam” on the course.  We started at 9:00am after an extended safety and rules meeting, and then spread out on the course “shotgun” style and started shooting.

Hunter PCP was once again the most numerous and contested class for the day with seven shooters.  1st place was Rick Cuccio shooting his FX Royale with Hawke scope with 59/60, only one shot from cleaning the course!  We had a tie for 2nd that was settled by shootoff with Derrick Wall shooting his Kalibrgun Cricket2 TAC beating out Thom Davies shooting his FX Royale both with 57/60, while new shooter David Turner finished 4th shooting his Daystate Redwolf with 53/60.

In WFTF, we had four shooters.  I finished 1st today with a 54/60 shooting my RAW TM1000, beating out Eric Pianori with his Tau Brno with 52/60.

We had one Hunter Piston and one Unlimited and one Pistol shooter today.  Each of these shooters finished 1st in class.  Congrats to you all!

The Howard Payne U students enjoyed their “final exam” more than I remember “enjoying” any of mine back in college.  They shot in the Fun Rifle class that awards one point for hitting the face plate, and two points for knocking the target over.   David W came out on top with 77/120, but their professor, long-time shooter Bob Pacatte, tells me they will all “Pass” no matter where they finished.  Happy to have you all present and hope you continue shooting in your adult lives after school.

You can see all the other scores and the equipment used in the table below.  Take a look at the growing content of our shooting score analyses website https://airgunshoot.com/ that shows your score on each lane, your hit percentage by lane or near/mid/far targets, how you compare to your class average, your class winner, and the HOA winner.  Thanks to Scott for his work on this, you should be able to tease out some areas where you can improve and hopefully finish higher in the standings.

Our next match will be on Saturday May 27 which is our usual 4th Saturday.   This match will start at 9:00am since we are in the warmer months and want to get started before it gets too hot.

Jeff Cloud

Cloud 9:
FT Match Report Arlington Sportsman’s Club 01/27/2024

This month, one of our guest shooters suggested we have a garage sale to allow the collectors amongst us to empty out our closets, so to speak.  So, we delegated the task of organizing the sale to that same guest that suggested it, and he willingly volunteered.   Many thanks to our longtime friend, Craig Martin for stepping up.  Volunteerism keeps our matches and our club running.  There were 8 tables setup in the barn with approximately 40 rifles and lots of other airgun accessories spread about on them and under them.  I will say that it was a buyer’s market with many rifles, scopes, and accessories undervalued to move them on to a new home, but I didn’t see that many items sell.  I did see an RTI Prophet, a RAW TM1000, a Benjamin Marauder, a Joe Brancato Great White air tank, a couple of scopes, and many tins of pellets sell for good prices.  Perhaps if we do this again, more serious buyers will show up.
After the garage sale wrapped up at noon, we moved over to the very soggy and muddy 3D archery course to have a 60-shot FT match.   We had about 2” of rain on Friday afternoon, evening, and night, and with the cold temperatures overnight, the conditions on the course were more appropriate for staying home in front of the fire.  But 20 brave souls came out to shoot, and as the temperatures rose to the high 50’s F, and the sun came out, it was an awesome day by the time we were finished at about 3:30.
A North wind blew all day between 5-12mph which blew pellets this way and that and kept most scores lower than normal, but not everyone was affected.  The course was 60 shots on 10 lanes with one off-hand lane and one kneeling lane.  The average Troyer this month was 31.6 before the wind modifier, SD 6.13, Avg Dist 28.0 yds, and Avg KZ 0.98”.

Thanks again to everyone who helps me setup, run and takedown the course each month.  Kudos to all of you!! 

Here is the breakdown of classes and winners today.   Hunter PCP had 13 shooters competing.  1st place was Brian Stafford shooting his FX Crown with a very respectable on this day, 54/60.  Second place and only two points behind was Scotty Haslam shooting 52/60 with his Benjamin Marauder.  3rd place went to Derrick Wall with a 46/60 shooting his BRK Ghost.  Unlimited class had two shooters, and Jerry Cox took 1st place with his Daystate Renegade shooting 41/60.  This is Jerry’s first time coming out on top of the Unlimited class.  Great job Jerry.  Eric Pianori took the WFTF PCP class shooting his custom Tau Brno and hitting 43/60.  The remaining classes had only one shooter, but we did have a new shooter with us today.  Welcome to Susan Gehrig shooting in Fun Rifle class and doing very well hitting more than 50% of the target face plates.  Great job, and you are welcome to come back and shoot with us anytime.  You can see all the scores, finishing positions, and equipment list below.  Congrats to everyone and I hope that you had fun!

See below for all the results of the match.

Take a look at the growing content of our shooting score analyses website https://airgunshoot.com/ that shows the average score on each lane, your score on each lane, your hit percentage by lane or near/mid/far targets, how you compare to your class average, your class winner, and the HOA winner.  Thanks to Scott Cotton for his work on this, you should be able to tease out some areas where you can improve and hopefully finish higher in the standings.

Our next match will be on Saturday, February 24 which is our usual 4th Saturday.   This match will start promptly at 10:00am.

Jeff Cloud

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version