Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: How to clean and store Collared Dove?  (Read 6384 times))

Offline SagaciousKJB

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
How to clean and store Collared Dove?
« on: August 26, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »
My friend has been shooting collared doves at his property with his powder burner and just throwing the bodies away or letting his dogs play with them.  I told him that was a waste of good meat, and he told me I was welcome to fight the dogs over them.

So...  How do I clean and store these?  Have zero experience butchering/processing game.
Remington Vantage NP .177 (JM molly paste, JM Seal, GRT-III trigger blade and polished sears, polished and buttoned piston, brass pivot washer mod, CPHP 4-16x40AO)

Beeman RS2 Silver Kodiak X2 .177/.22(JM molly paste and tar, polished sears, trigger over-travel stop, custom scope stop, polished and buttoned piston, included 4x32 scope)

Offline StevenG

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
Re: How to clean and store Collared Dove?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 02:38:27 PM »
I have never shot a collared dove, but why not just cut out the breast like any other bird that size? Then the dogs can have the rest.
  • West Seneca, NY

Offline UCChris

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Regulated or nothing
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 02:43:33 PM »
WARNING: THIS WILL BE GRAPHIC

Okay, here goes.

First, if you are in a suburban area, place dove in a bag to help contain feathers.

Pluck the feathers off of the breast area.

Slice the skin down the sternum (try not to cut the meat)

Once the skin is peeled away you are left with the breast. Trophy shot of perfect entry wound!

Now, I was shooting these photos myself, so at this point, I couldn't take anymore pictures because of the blood on my hands. Anyway, you're going to cut the breast off at the wing joints. Then take a knife and slice the underside of the breast. Kind of hard to show without pictures, but a dove breast is shaped like a heart. At the bottom point of the heart you will see a white/yellow fat line dividing it from the legs. Slice right on that line. Reach your fingers under that slice and pull up. The breast will then separate from the body. Finish chopping it off the wings and it should come off. If you flip the breast over, there is a hard bony part still in the breast. Pull the breast away from the bony part (sternum) and there you have it. A nearly whole breast. The fat in the middle of the breast will keep the whole breast together. Slice down the middle of the breast and you will have two halves. Trim the excess fat and grizzles and you've done it!

Most people will tell you to just rip it out of the bird. That is fast, but it doesn't get all the meat.

Offline SagaciousKJB

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 02:54:42 PM »
Thanks, yeah I saw a lot of YouTube videos where it seemed like they were just trying to demonstrate how to do it quickly and they didn't really explain how to cut it off the shoulders/head very well.
Remington Vantage NP .177 (JM molly paste, JM Seal, GRT-III trigger blade and polished sears, polished and buttoned piston, brass pivot washer mod, CPHP 4-16x40AO)

Beeman RS2 Silver Kodiak X2 .177/.22(JM molly paste and tar, polished sears, trigger over-travel stop, custom scope stop, polished and buttoned piston, included 4x32 scope)

Offline Chako

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 06:59:45 PM »
Ted made a video on it  ;) He's a really cool guy.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:59:13 PM by Chakolichous »
  • Utah
Qb79 HPA (.22)
Diana 34 (.22)
Beeman P17 (.177)

Online Rico14

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 07:46:13 PM »
If your friend isn't head shooting the Eurasians, it probably won't be too easy cleaning them as they will be pretty torn up. I've also breasted them out but my favorite way is to pluck them. It takes less than 5 minutes per bird. I use heavy duty kitchen shears and cut the legs off at the "knees". Then a cut the wings off as close to the body as possible. Then I start pulling all the feathers out, they come out real easy and it takes less than 5 minutes per bird.  Once done, I cut the head off at the shoulders and cut the rear part of the bird off, leaving an opening big enough to get my finger inside. Pull out all the guts , clean out the inside, and rinse them off. If I don't have enough for a meal, I vacuum seal them. To cook them, I quarter them. Cut in half, and in half again. I marinate them overnight in a hoisin based marinade. I stir fry them in a wok, with onions, grated ginger, shitake mushrooms, and snow peas.
Serve over a plate of steamed white rice. My friends can't get enough of this
  • California

Offline longislandhunter

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • The 3rd GTA Musketeer (per Gene Curtis)
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 08:30:31 PM »
I love Teds videos..... that one made my mouth water for dove !!!!   

Jeff
  • Long Island, New York
If it was easy it wouldn't be hunting it would be shopping.

Offline Chako

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 08:34:09 PM »
only problem is he only releases 1 every month or so. Some one should invite him to be a member here.
  • Utah
Qb79 HPA (.22)
Diana 34 (.22)
Beeman P17 (.177)

Offline Bullit

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 08:40:16 PM »
Lotsa us dove and crow hunters, just split the skin at the breast and open it up.  Peel it back.  Keeping just the breast. Easy/cleaner to cut and take out.    It's a good start if you ain't sure.  There's youtube stuff that will get you going in the right way.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 08:42:20 PM by Bullit »
  • Kentucky

Offline UCChris

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Regulated or nothing
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 10:23:05 PM »
I brine them for 2 hours then rinse them off. Marinate in Italian dressing overnight and then wrap them in bacon like filet mingnon.

Offline bbv13

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 12:37:25 PM »
Don't make it complicated because it's not. First pull off the wings close to the base then put you thumb below the breast and pull it out. Pull the skin off and wash it off with water and slice the meat from the bone if you want. Most of the time I freeze the whole breast. There's no reason to pluck out feathers and the legs don't have enough meat on them to mess with so I discard the rest of the bird. I can remove the breast from a dozen doves in about 5 minutes. Larger birds may take a little longer but the process is the same. You can freeze it the same way you would with any other meat. Vacuum sealing works really good.

I like to stir fry them with A1 sauce green peppers and onions. Wrapping them in bacon also is good because it's really lean red meat. Either way it's really good.

Bryan
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:43:34 PM by bbv13 »
  • NC

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2014, 05:07:12 PM »
I don't have much experience with the Eurasian Collared Doves, but the Mourning Doves are a different story.  We always feathered the whole bird before splitting it open down the back and removing the insides.  (Keep the heart and gizzard.)  The skin was left on because there is much flavor and delicious liquids there.

The birds were then placed in a skillet that has a tight fitting lid.  About 1/4 inch of your favorite oil is added.  The birds are browned on all sides; the heat is then reduced and sliced onions are added along with the hearts and gizzards.  Seasoning (to your taste) is added and the skillet is covered.  After about 15 minutes, add about a cup of Sherry wine and replace the lid.  Cook until done (about an hour) and serve over seamed white rice.  Baked Sweet Potatoes could be served with this dish. 

I see no reason why Eurasian Collared Doves could not be cooked in this same manner.
  • USA - Tennessee  --  Murfreesboro
Murfreesboro, Tennessee - Was Louisiana
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went. Will Rogers.
Passer par la porte arrière - D. L. Menard                    
Abbreviations / Acronyms ---> http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=51866.0;topicseen

Offline StevenG

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 06:52:55 PM »
I don't have much experience with the Eurasian Collared Doves, but the Mourning Doves are a different story.  We always feathered the whole bird before splitting it open down the back and removing the insides.  (Keep the heart and gizzard.)  The skin was left on because there is much flavor and delicious liquids there.

The birds were then placed in a skillet that has a tight fitting lid.  About 1/4 inch of your favorite oil is added.  The birds are browned on all sides; the heat is then reduced and sliced onions are added along with the hearts and gizzards.  Seasoning (to your taste) is added and the skillet is covered.  After about 15 minutes, add about a cup of Sherry wine and replace the lid.  Cook until done (about an hour) and serve over seamed white rice.  Baked Sweet Potatoes could be served with this dish. 

I see no reason why Eurasian Collared Doves could not be cooked in this same manner.

That sounds delicious! I am stealing this.
  • West Seneca, NY

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2014, 06:56:53 PM »
You honor me - enjoy!
  • USA - Tennessee  --  Murfreesboro
Murfreesboro, Tennessee - Was Louisiana
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went. Will Rogers.
Passer par la porte arrière - D. L. Menard                    
Abbreviations / Acronyms ---> http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=51866.0;topicseen

Offline Seanh

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 08:47:24 PM »
Bringing to the top.. good recipies here.

For me it's the dove breast wrapped in bacon and thrown on the grill. Sometimes a jalapeno strips with cream cheese.
  • USA, Houston, TX

Offline flashover1969

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 06:22:24 PM »
Collared doves are delicious and the only dove you can hunt year round (at least in Arizona and California). I debone the breast meat, smash the *(&^ out of it with a meat tenderizer mallet, season with your favorite seasoning. My go to seasoning is called ChickenShit (yes it's a real thing).  Then I put a few tablespoons of bacon grease in a cast iron skillet and fry them up. Very low fat meat, so that's why it's recommended to use some sort of fat to cook them in.
  • Yucca Valley, California, USA
Hatsan Flashpup QE .22
Benjamin Titan GP .22