PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles

Author Topic: Will this be a better season?  (Read 1819 times - 1 votes) 
)

Offline dk1677

• Squirrel !
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • "Disco Dave"
Re: Will this be a better season?
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2021, 08:05:13 PM »
Nice ones Mike!
  • NY
22 Disco, Hammerli 850 22, Beeman RS3 22 ,Gamo viper express,Crosman 180 22 . One of many Dave's  ;) Forum Rules-  http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=919.msg6662#msg6662

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2021, 09:05:35 PM »
Thank you, Dave, for the reply.
It was one of those fun days.
  • USA - Tennessee  --  Murfreesboro
Murfreesboro, Tennessee - Was Louisiana
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went. Will Rogers.
Faites-moi une faveur: Ne pissez pas sur la poignée de la pompe !                
Abbreviations / Acronyms ---> http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=51866.0;topicseen

Online ranchibi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2021, 05:06:31 PM »
Hoo dang…nice hunt and shooting there Mike, nice photo! The third one was surely gonna take that nut with him to the other world!
  • U.S. CA
JSAR Raptor .22 TJ slug barrel Discovery HD 5-20X50 SFIR FFP
RAW HM1000x LRT Chassis .22 Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50 FFP MOA APLR3 Gen2
Beeman P17
PRod Discovery HD 4-20x50 FFP SFIR

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2021, 06:27:44 PM »

surely gonna take that nut with him to the other world!
Randall, I left that nut in his mouth and discarded his remains just that way.  He is indeed taking it with him.
Thanks for you kind compliment.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went. Will Rogers.
Abbreviations / Acronyms ---> http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=51866.0;topicseen

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2021, 03:52:58 PM »
Monday - November 1, 2021
I was in the woods by 6:30 a.m. and the breeze was already starting.  I took a stand at the bottom end of Canyon Land were Tree Stand Valley actually starts. (But there ain't no tree stand on that end.)  Almost immediately the Grays started barking at me somewhere in the canopy.
About 30 minutes later, one had changed trees and was close enough for the shot.  I missed it three time when twigs and vines got in the way.  I hit it on the 4th shot and had to finish it off on the ground.  About five minutes later, one offered a shot when it left the 'V' where I saw it and went up a limb and stopped.  I tried successfully for a headshot, and out of the tree it fell.  However, it grabbed a limb in the small Hickory tree below and held on.  I had to finish it off too.  As I retrieved it, I realized the head shot was to the nose/mouth area [Picture #2].  I saw more squirrels but none offered quality shot opportunities.  And the wind kept getting stronger.  I headed back to the truck.

Thank you kindly for looking in.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2021, 03:55:18 PM by Bicycleman »

Online ranchibi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2021, 07:40:39 PM »
Mike! Excellent shooting on both of those nutters! Good pics too. Those 2 will make a fine meal! Stay safe and WARM!
  • U.S. CA
Beeman P17

Offline Jshooter71

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • ~Ora et Labora~
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2021, 08:31:34 PM »
Good hunting there, Mike! I’m planning on taking some off my property next week. Until then I’ve enjoyed seeing you take yours this season, so far.
  • USA, Arkansas, Prairie Grove
Daisy 1938 Red Ryder 70th Anniversary
DPMS Panther A4 Classic .177 UTG 2-16x44
Umarex Octane Elite .22 UTG 2-16x44
Diana AMO3 Stealth .22 UTG 2-16x44
Beeman QB78 Deluxe .177 UTG 3-12x32
Walther Terrus .177 (gifted by fwbsport) UTG 3-9x40
Walther LGU Varmint .22 UTG 6-24x56
FDAR XS60C .177 REX 3-12x40
Walther Parrus .22 Factory Sights
Feinwerkbau (FWB) Sport .177 UTG 2-16x44
RWS 3400 .177 UTG Sub-Compact Rear/Factory Front Sights

“Slay dragons, do noble deeds and never, never give up.”

Find other GTA members in your area. 🇺🇸
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2021, 09:13:29 PM »
Mike! Excellent shooting on both of those nutters! Good pics too. Those 2 will make a fine meal! Stay safe and WARM!
Thanks for the compliments, Randall.  Both shots were in the trees at about 25 yards each.
I am thinking about saving up for a Squirrel and Sausage Gumbo soon.  My son really enjoys squirrels and gumbo - win, win!
And about that stay WARM thing - our weather guy is predicting FROST and maybe our first freeze this week.  The first week of November is usually when we get our first freeze.  I will be staying warm thought.

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2021, 09:15:34 PM »
Good hunting there, Mike! I’m planning on taking some off my property next week. Until then I’ve enjoyed seeing you take yours this season, so far.
Hi, John.  Thanks for the kind words.
Good luck thinning out your squirrels. 
Take some pictures if you have time.

Offline dk1677

• Squirrel !
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • "Disco Dave"
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2021, 09:17:45 PM »
Nice ones Mike!
  • NY
22 Disco, Hammerli 850 22, Beeman RS3 22 ,Gamo viper express,Crosman 180 22 . One of many Dave's  ;) Forum Rules-  http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=919.msg6662#msg6662

Offline ray1377

• Just one more airgun. What can it hurt? :)
  • Sharp Shooter
  • Master of the 1000 inch shot.
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2021, 11:39:23 PM »
Hey Mike, great shooting for the season so far. I enjoy a good squirrel hunt that ends in a bag full of meat for the pot:)
Our season opened the first of last month but its been too warm and I look forward to the coming frosty temps forcasted for this coming weekend.
I hope to get the Prod out and be in the woods before daylight this Saturday morning. Keep up the good writing and hunting cause we all enjoy it. I miss the hunting stories from member SteveV.
Later
Ray
  • New Albany, MS
All that is needed for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2021, 10:27:47 AM »
Nice ones Mike!
Thanks, Dave.
Stay well.

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2021, 10:34:08 AM »

Hey Mike, great shooting for the season so far. I enjoy a good squirrel hunt that ends in a bag full of meat for the pot:)
Our season opened the first of last month but its been too warm and I look forward to the coming frosty temps forcasted for this coming weekend.
I hope to get the Prod out and be in the woods before daylight this Saturday morning. Keep up the good writing and hunting cause we all enjoy it. I miss the hunting stories from member SteveV.
Later
Ray
Ray, your words brought back memories of those early season Louisiana hunts with the sweltering temperatures, mosquitoes, and Red Bugs [Chiggers].  It was wonderful.  The otherside of that was those fat Fox Squirrels we brought home.
Thanks for your reply and GOOD LUCK Saturday morning.

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2021, 04:13:04 PM »
Wednesday - November 3, 2021
The hunt this morning was a little strange.  It started out frosty and cloudy.  The clouds stayed.  I didn't see any squirrels on my first stand.  But when I started moving in the canyons, I saw two playing chase.  The first one came up in a tree to check me out.  I shot it and turned on the second one.  It stopped as I sighted it and died about three seconds later.  Two squirrels in about one minute.  However, I could not find the first one - must have fallen in one of the crevices.  Later while waiting for a long shot that didn't happen, a Fox Squirrel started barking.  When I finally spotted it, I took a head shot.  It was hanging on too long to be dying.  It took two more shots to bring it down.  Three hits in the head and it still had some breath left in it on the ground.  About a half-dozen turkeys put on a show for me.  I actually sighted in on one.  When I would normally have squeezed the trigger, I said 'BANG' instead.  I now have an imaginary Thanksgiving Turkey.
The third picture is another one of those comparison pictures.  Both are mature animals.

Online ranchibi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2021, 07:38:20 PM »
Mike, nice hunt and shot on those 2! That one sure is much larger than the other one, nice photo and some critters are just TOUGH.
  • U.S. CA
Beeman P17

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #75 on: November 03, 2021, 08:27:41 PM »
Randall, thanks for the kind words. 
Yes, squirrels are tough animals.  Head shots don't always kill them right away.
Stay well and keep warm if you have a winter in your area.

Offline dk1677

• Squirrel !
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • "Disco Dave"
« Reply #76 on: November 03, 2021, 09:16:05 PM »
Nice ones again Mike!
  • NY

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #77 on: November 04, 2021, 10:00:11 AM »
Dave, it always good to hear from you.
Thanks for the compliment.

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2021, 03:05:28 PM »
Tuesday, November 9, 2021
The weather was not as cool as the last several days, but still chilly.  The wind was calm until about 8 - 8:30 a.m., but never strong.  I watched 17 turkeys fly down and land about 15 yards from where I sat waiting for the sun to rise.  I also heard a deer behind me.  But no squirrels there - so I moved on.  I missed one at the next place when it moved right as I squeezed the trigger.  The next one was not so lucky.  The pellet entered the left side of its face and exited in the belly area.  DRT  I saw several more before the day got too warm for the amount of clothes I had on.
Yep, another one that died before it had a chance to finish breakfast.

Offline Jshooter71

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • ~Ora et Labora~
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2021, 09:06:49 PM »
Good shot, Mike! I can’t say I’ve ever shot one that hung onto a nut in its mouth. And you’ve gotten more than one! My squirrels think they’re getting a pass. Plenty of food for them this year on my property from my trees, I’m glad to see it. But, any day now and I’m going to start culling them in the mornings.  ;D
  • USA, Arkansas, Prairie Grove
Daisy 1938 Red Ryder 70th Anniversary
DPMS Panther A4 Classic .177 UTG 2-16x44
Umarex Octane Elite .22 UTG 2-16x44
Diana AMO3 Stealth .22 UTG 2-16x44
Beeman QB78 Deluxe .177 UTG 3-12x32
Walther Terrus .177 (gifted by fwbsport) UTG 3-9x40
Walther LGU Varmint .22 UTG 6-24x56
FDAR XS60C .177 REX 3-12x40
Walther Parrus .22 Factory Sights
Feinwerkbau (FWB) Sport .177 UTG 2-16x44
RWS 3400 .177 UTG Sub-Compact Rear/Factory Front Sights