Pyramyd Air
Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets

Author Topic: HW95L part?  (Read 530 times))

Offline Struckat

• Sharp Shooter
  • The red dog is always watching
Re: HW95L part?
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2021, 01:18:32 PM »
Ed I put a new factory seal in when I repaired mine a few weeks ago. Cleaned and Krytoxed, I fond the fir to be close to what is often described on GTA. Not tight, but sure didnít seem loose to me. But then itís a first seal replacement for me.

I have an ARH in stock now and by the time this new factory seal fails, I will have others to try. I always thought that there was a bit of a knock to my shot cycle, so I also think it was slamming right from the start.
With the new seal, the shot cycle is much smoother.
  • In the basement, Illinois
1377, 1986
1300kt .177, May, 2020
HW30 Deluxe .177, Aug, 2020
P-17, Aug, 2020
HW95 .22, Oct, 2020
Daisy 717, Dec, 2020
ASG DW BB/.177, Dec, 2020
2240XL, Jan, 2021
Daisy 86/70 Jan, 2021

Offline SpiralGroove

• Ruminating Perfectionist !!!
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • >The gun's gotta look good and shoot straight ->
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2021, 08:05:42 AM »
There's a reason I literally strip and gut these guns as soon as I get them. I buy HWs for thier barrel and rekord trigger, and expect to fix everything else. Once they're tuned up they're beautiful shooters that last a lifetime.
Well, I'd have to say that's a pretty big exaggeration ::).
I buy a Weihrauch for everything but the spring and guide.

I don't buy Diana's because of their ungainly stocks, plastic parts and lack of finish quality. You buy a Diana as a usable tool not a luxury purchase like an iPhone.
Weihrauch lines are more like an iPhone' s in they radiate beauty/usability.
  • Bothell, WA
PCP's:
BSA R10 (.177) Regulated
AR2079A-HPA (.177)
AR2079A-HPA (.22)
QB79-HPA (.22)
RAW HM1000x LRT Camo - (.22)

Pumper's:
1973 Benjamin Franklin 342
1984 Benjamin Franklin 347

Springer's:
Beeman R9   (.20) - Circa 2019
Beeman R10 (.20) - Circa 1988
HW30S (.177)
HW35E (2) (.177)
HW35E (.177) Nickel
HW50S (.177)
HW50S Nickel (.177)
HW80 (.20)
HW95 Hybrid (.177)

Online Bladebum

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2021, 09:40:29 AM »
There's a reason I literally strip and gut these guns as soon as I get them. I buy HWs for thier barrel and rekord trigger, and expect to fix everything else. Once they're tuned up they're beautiful shooters that last a lifetime.

I don't buy Diana's because of their ungainly stocks, plastic parts and lack of finish quality. You buy a Diana as a usable tool not a luxury purchase like an iPhone.

We might have differing opinions there Kirk, i can't stand iphones  ;D

I love HW don't get me wrong, but I have had way more problems with out of the box HW than I have with Diana. I still prefer HW, I've just accepted that they need need work(and a little extra cash) from out the factory to be the sweet shooters they really are. Cracked and scored piston seals, rattling shot cycles, stock screws backing out constantly,  galling on some models and reciever with edges that can skin a buck are things that do cheese me off when I pay 4-600 for a pellet gun.

Thing is, us HW fans have just gotten used to those facts...but imagine your not an airgun fan just someone who wants to get a pellet gun that lasts a lifetime, and it shows up like the 6 that I got out of the box :-\ had i kept shooting them the way they came to me, im not sure id ever get the right experience. 

Good example,  my buddy shot my hw30 the other day. After he was ready to go buy one because of how nice it shot...I said well, it took a bit of work to get it like that..after I told him how much $ I was ultimately into it, he wasn't real interested.   :-[
  • Bigfork,  MT.  USA

Offline SpiralGroove

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2021, 08:13:21 PM »

We might have differing opinions there Kirk, i can't stand iphones  ;D

I love HW don't get me wrong, but I have had way more problems with out of the box HW than I have with Diana. I still prefer HW, I've just accepted that they need need work(and a little extra cash) from out the factory to be the sweet shooters they really are. Cracked and scored piston seals, rattling shot cycles, stock screws backing out constantly,  galling on some models and reciever with edges that can skin a buck are things that do cheese me off when I pay 4-600 for a pellet gun.

Thing is, us HW fans have just gotten used to those facts...but imagine your not an airgun fan just someone who wants to get a pellet gun that lasts a lifetime, and it shows up like the 6 that I got out of the box :-\ had i kept shooting them the way they came to me, im not sure id ever get the right experience. 

Good example,  my buddy shot my hw30 the other day. After he was ready to go buy one because of how nice it shot...I said well, it took a bit of work to get it like that..after I told him how much $ I was ultimately into it, he wasn't real interested.   :-[

"We might have differing opinions there Kirk, i can't stand iphones  ;D"
Yeah Josh, what I really meant by the comment was ... when iPhones first came out - you could get a portable computer that looked really cool ... forget about the phone part - The Computer ;).
Apple stock subsequently skyrocketed, shortly thereafter ..... Apple was the ONE who had the very smart Idea ;)

"I love HW don't get me wrong, but I have had way more problems with out of the box HW than I have with Diana."
Yeah, you never know what your going to get from any manufacturer ... I bought a $800 Pro-Sport and had to get another piston because the button inserts weren't manufactured correctly and the piston rubbed the compression chamber.  Way costlier/serious manufacturing mistake.
- I put a D34 to my shoulder at a pawn shop to see what I thought ... what a clunky feeling gun

No, I'm the guy who has probably purchased close to 20 Weihrauch airguns and tuned them all because I'm a Tinkerer Nut.  The gun's can be tuned beautifully for about $25, including ARH or Vortek springs. 
Remember, I'm the guy who made the muzzle brakes for your HW95 and HW30S :P.
But yes, HW30S's and HW50S's have issues with the forearm cocking wedge (just remove the spring).

Anyway ...  8)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 08:16:19 PM by SpiralGroove »
  • Bothell, WA
PCP's:
BSA R10 (.177) Regulated
AR2079A-HPA (.177)
AR2079A-HPA (.22)
QB79-HPA (.22)

Pumper's:

Springer's:
HW30S (.177)
HW35E (2) (.177)
HW35E (.177) Nickel
HW50S (.177)
HW50S Nickel (.177)
HW80 (.20)
HW95 Hybrid (.177)

Online Bladebum

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2021, 01:22:24 AM »
I remember well Kirk,  they're the best brakes I've had,  and I didn't have to fix a thing on them  :P

I guess I just would like to see HW listen and change certain things that I feel could be addressed/redesigned.  Maybe I'm just a snob for tuned guns now IDK  :-\
  • Bigfork,  MT.  USA

Offline Yogi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2021, 06:53:01 AM »

Kirk,

The Diana Hogsback stocks in walnut put any Weihrauch stocks to shame. >:(  If I could replace every POS HW stock with a Diana Hogsback I would.  They look better, they shoulder better, they feel better when just carrying.  Love your HW's, but not because of their wood. :-*

-Y
  • San Francisco, CA
Hatsan 95 Vortex, .22
RWS 6G, .177
RWS LP8 Magnum, .177
Diana 340 N-Tec, .22 Compact Lexus
HW 50S, .177, .20, and .22

Offline SpiralGroove

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2021, 07:41:08 AM »
Kirk,
The Diana Hogsback stocks in walnut put any Weihrauch stocks to shame. >:(  If I could replace every POS HW stock with a Diana Hogsback I would.  They look better, they shoulder better, they feel better when just carrying.  Love your HW's, but not because of their wood. :-* -Y
Post a pic of the Hogsback - I've never seen one.
Yeah the old HW30S stock and the HW95/HW80S stocks diminish the rest of the gun :P.
Weihrauch would find many takers for their gun's in a Walnut stocked version.  I'd pay an additional $50-$100 for a decent piece of Walnut.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 07:43:28 AM by SpiralGroove »
  • Bothell, WA
PCP's:
BSA R10 (.177) Regulated
AR2079A-HPA (.177)
AR2079A-HPA (.22)
QB79-HPA (.22)

Pumper's:

Springer's:
HW30S (.177)
HW35E (2) (.177)
HW35E (.177) Nickel
HW50S (.177)
HW50S Nickel (.177)
HW80 (.20)
HW95 Hybrid (.177)

Offline SpiralGroove

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2021, 07:45:05 AM »
I remember well Kirk,  they're the best brakes I've had,  and I didn't have to fix a thing on them  :P

I guess I just would like to see HW listen and change certain things that I feel could be addressed/redesigned.  Maybe I'm just a snob for tuned guns now IDK  :-\

Hey Josh,
Sorry for my rant yesterday - it was a bad day...
  • Bothell, WA
PCP's:
BSA R10 (.177) Regulated
AR2079A-HPA (.177)
AR2079A-HPA (.22)
QB79-HPA (.22)

Pumper's:

Springer's:
HW30S (.177)
HW35E (2) (.177)
HW35E (.177) Nickel
HW50S (.177)
HW50S Nickel (.177)
HW80 (.20)
HW95 Hybrid (.177)

Offline nced

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2021, 09:20:06 AM »
No joke, both the 95l I sold and my R9 both had piston seals like that straight from the factory. Theres a reason I literally strip and gut these guns as soon as I get them. I buy HWs for thier barrel and rekord trigger, and expect to fix everything else. Once they're tuned up they're beautiful shooters that last a lifetime
Hummmm....here is a pic of the piston w/seal directly from the .177 HW95 before stripping the factory lube and relubing with non-dieseling Krytox.........

Factory HW95 piston seal after stripping factory lube and after Krytox lube..........
  • USA, North Carolina, Rougemont

Online Bladebum

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2021, 10:04:30 AM »

Hey Josh,

Hey Kirk, no apologies neccessary! It didn't sound like a rant to me at all. I also don't expect everyone to agree with me, as I'm usually the one rattling cages in my walks of life ;D always appreciate your input.

I hope anyone looking to buy thier first HW doesn't think they're junk from my comments,  because thats not the case at all otherwise I wouldn't have bought 6. Just like with most products though, there is areas that can be improved. They are still the best springers for the money hands down.
  • Bigfork,  MT.  USA

Offline SpiralGroove

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2021, 12:17:45 PM »

Hey Josh,

Hey Kirk, no apologies necessary! It didn't sound like a rant to me at all. I also don't expect everyone to agree with me, as I'm usually the one rattling cages in my walks of life ;D always appreciate your input.

Well Josh I wrote the red part because I mis-read a paragraph you wrote, which got my blood up. I thought you had said that I was an inexperienced shooter wanting to buy a gun lasting a lifetime - without ever tuning it?? .

Sometimes when your tired + having a bad day - it's best to wait ... before posting a rebuttal to anyone :D.
  • Bothell, WA
PCP's:
BSA R10 (.177) Regulated
AR2079A-HPA (.177)
AR2079A-HPA (.22)
QB79-HPA (.22)

Pumper's:

Springer's: