Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Need some help figuring out a lighting option for my air rifle.  (Read 242 times))

Offline DuneRider66

• Shooter
  • yes
Been in need of some sort of light that I can get attached to my air rifle setup for the night time. Got an M-Rod 25 and a 1 inch wide hammer varmint scope. Originally thought about an expensive 3D printed accessory that'd allow the mounting of a weaver rail somewhere on the front of the gun but then that'd be pretty expensive budget wise if I'd also drop money on a good flashlight. I then found some bulkier but cheaper options in the form of clamps that mount directly onto the barrel or scope. Some of them are dedicated lights, others are just clamps that seem to fit whatever you need. However with this option I'm worried about it putting some sort of weird off balance weight on the gun or the clamps damaging the scope/barrel.

Would highly appreciate some opinions and advice from people who use stuff like this. Thanks ahead of time!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 10:48:52 AM by DuneRider66 »
  • United States of America, Louisiana, Melville

Offline Rico14

• GTA Senior Contributor
Re: Need some help figuring out a lighting option for my air rifle.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 12:26:12 PM »
I use this one. It's not the lightest but not too heavy either. I like it because it has the constant on/off button so you don't have to keep pressing the button to keep it on.  The clamp is adjustable so it will fit any scope you are using.It can easily be put on and removed.  It will light up a critter's eyes farther than your Mrod can shoot. If you have an IR that lights up red, get the green light. Hopes this helps

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y5LPXTT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • California

Offline ranchibi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 06:32:14 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LDBKV7R/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_NR35PDJF3X4RBMJSS6TJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have one of these for use on any picatinny rail/adapter. Most creatures are unable to see the red light spectrum but can see itís brightness. Itís very tiny and compact but very bright.
  • U.S. CA
JSAR Raptor .22 TJ slug barrel Discovery HD 5-20X50 SFIR FFP
RAW HM1000x LRT Chassis .22 Athlon Ares 2.5-15x50 FFP MOA APLR3 Gen2
Beeman P17
PRod Discovery HD 4-20x50 FFP SFIR

Offline PlinkoCalmie

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 05:10:40 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LDBKV7R/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_NR35PDJF3X4RBMJSS6TJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have one of these for use on any picatinny rail/adapter. Most creatures are unable to see the red light spectrum but can see itís brightness. Itís very tiny and compact but very bright.

Can someone try to explain this to me please?  I've seen it a bunch recently, and I can't quite figure out what this is trying to say.   I understand the not seeing red part (I'm red/green colorblind so find optics interesting) , but I can't figure out what you mean by "but they *can* see it's brightness"?  I thought only *we* see the brightness and they have no idea...

My understanding of the red light thing was always that the pest can't see that red part of the light spectrum, so it doesn't even know it's being illuminated.

So for an example of what I thought was happening:   

The Predator is hunting you at night in thick canopy jungle.  It's pitch black and you can't see anything at all, but the Predator can see you just fine.  You are "illuminated" to the Predator,  because you're still reflecting the UV or infrared portion of the light spectrum that the Predator can see just fine. 

Thanks for the help with an explanation guys....oh shoot, I forgot to mention one other important detail.....When the Predator is hunting you, your only weapon is your very 1st airgun, but it has a really cool bayonet....
  • USA, MO, Kansas City

Offline ER00z

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 01:42:54 PM »
Best I can figure is think of their vision as in a B&W television. The light in red will actually show up as dark grey in their vision. They can see it, but not enough to spook them. Otherwise blue to pure white lights show up white or very bright. I might be wrong, but that's what I've come to understand.
  • USA, NY, Wolcott

Offline ranchibi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 08:26:25 PM »
Like Zack said, like having a black and white TV and adjust it's brightness, it is noticeable while watching when one adjusts it. I know if I turn my back red flood light on when a rat is on the bait station, it spooks it, but, if the light is already on when it arrives, it does not seem to bother them.
  • U.S. CA
JSAR Raptor .22 TJ slug barrel Discovery HD 5-20X50 SFIR FFP
RAW HM1000x LRT Chassis .22 Athlon Ares 2.5-15x50 FFP MOA APLR3 Gen2
Beeman P17
PRod Discovery HD 4-20x50 FFP SFIR

Offline BordertownDevil

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 09:01:53 PM »
 This is the setup I use lately. A weaver mount on a ring mounted directly to the scope. Quick on/off for use during the day w/out the light.
  • Tucson AZ, USA

Offline BordertownDevil

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 01:08:32 AM »
If you use a red or green light, it doesnít seem to bother them or make them nervous. I guess they donít see it or equate it with a threat.
  • Tucson AZ, USA

Offline PlinkoCalmie

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 02:44:28 AM »
Thanks for all the answers guys.  Didn't intend to hijack the thread, that light setup is awesome. 
  • USA, MO, Kansas City