Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Is it wrong to settle disputes between animals?  (Read 942 times))

Offline ER00z

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
Is it wrong to settle disputes between animals?
« on: April 30, 2021, 12:12:37 AM »
Today I was doing a bit of target practice and heard some birds making a commotion in a tree out back. The tree is next to a large storage shed of mine and squirrels try and store nuts and tear things up inside. There happend to be a red squirrel checking out the shed, and decided to go after the robins who just put a nest in the tree. I've seen this one go after the greys in the area and decided enough is enough. He was 26 yards out and my D460 made short work of It. I've seen red's be aggressive, but not as much as this one, as it acted very territorial. So, is it wrong to settle these disputes?

He was a goner either way, don't like them getting in the shed, barn or house. Otherwise they usually get a pass.
  • USA, NY, Wolcott

Online lizzie

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
Re: Is it wrong to settle disputes between animals?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 12:18:42 AM »
To me, it isn't even a question of right and wrong. We are the only species capable of making these judgements, and when it comes to nature in general, it is generally who has the biggest baddest attitude plus the ability to enforce it....so.....

It is like asking if it is wrong for me to shoot starlings. It isn't right or wrong. It is human intervention in nature, for better or worse.

In your situation, I would likely have done the same.
  • USA, TX, DFW
"Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running." -anonymous

Offline ER00z

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 12:41:08 AM »
The cat usually tends to the affairs around the property. But with age he's slowing down. I see airguns getting a lot more use around the house and property. Usually it's others calling me to help with pests. Don't know if I should feel lucky or be irritated. Lol.

Take it easy
  • USA, NY, Wolcott

Offline skyowa

• persona non grata
  • Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 01:00:36 AM »
The situation doesn't fit the question.

It is unethical for you to intervene in two animals fighting in the wild, it is not unethical to shoot squirrels to protect your property.

In the case of the wild, you're intervening in the dictates of nature, you might shoot the strongest instead of the weakest and set off a cascade that ultimately weakens a herd, it's not for you to decide.
  • Iowa
Benjamin Armada .22
Benjamin Cayden .22
Hatsan Flash Wood QE
Gamo Swarm Magnum G2 .22
Benjamin 342

Offline EdinGa

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 01:08:16 AM »
The squirrels are dominating my feeders and running all the birds off. After this bag of sunflower seeds are gone, I think I'm going to quit feeding until squirrel season comes back in. I'll settle all the disputes then.
  • Gray, Ga

Offline triggertreat

• ...2017 GTA (PCP class) ...Fun Shoot Winner
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • ☉ Aim high and shoot far ☆
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 01:21:25 AM »
It's over and I am not going to send congrats your way nor go against your decision, if that is what this is all about.  If you are now questioning it, maybe it wasn't the best thought out plan for you.  Nature can be cruel to observe.  I am not going to judge what you decided to do.  You were there and made the decision you now have to live with.  You are not alone though with this type of thing.
  • USA - Tennessee
(Matthew 12:25)   Jesus said “Every kingdom divided against itself will be ruined, and every city or household divided against itself will not stand".

22 Marauder (MMHF) - Reflex
25 Marauder - Reflex
25 FX Impact II - Shogun
30 FX Impact II - Shogun
357 Slayer - Emperor
AV-4500
Stikman

Offline ER00z

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 01:39:05 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

I should have made the title a bit different, but had it not been for the robin's commotion I'd never know the squirrel was there. Oddly, it really seemed as if the squirrel was going after the robin, behavior I haven't seen before. Either way, my aim was true and the squirrel never knew what hit it. Instantly gone to chase walnuts in the afterlife. I have no regrets in my decision. I can't count, nor do I want to count how many critters I've sent to the great beyond.

I was more curious as to the behavior of the squirrel than anything else. Unfortunately, I can't bring myself to eat squirrels. Rabbits on the other hand are delicious, but haven't had any around in a while. The cat and coyotes REALLY think they're delicious.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 01:47:08 AM by ER00z »
  • USA, NY, Wolcott

Offline EdinGa

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 02:28:36 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, I can't bring myself to eat squirrels. Rabbits on the other hand are delicious, but haven't had any around in a while. The cat and coyotes REALLY think they're delicious.

I'm not a big fan of squirrel either, but a great aunt cooked some up for us one time and I still use the recipe. You season to taste, pan fry the meat until it browns, cover in milk gravy and simmer until tender. Spoon it over fresh biscuits and enjoy.
  • Gray, Ga

Offline mrbulk

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Little things affect little minds” - Thoreau
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 03:33:23 AM »
Hey Zack no worries, I was entertained by your story and likely would have done the same, especially if it was your private land and you preferred having the robins around so you humanely protected them from that bullying red.

As for sending animals to their great (whatever-it-is-depending-on-the-species) final resting place in the sky, I once did that to 395 mynahs (a pest bird in Hawaii where I used to shoot) in a single night. And the owner of that egg-laying farm sure was happy I was there to do it. 8)
  • Las Vegas, NV, USA
Remember that none of this will matter in a hundred years. Have fun now.

Offline ER00z

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 07:57:21 AM »
Charlie, having rid of 395 anything in a single night (or day) is impressive. I'm not familiar with mynahs but the numbers you encountered that evening seem very great.

The worst I've encountered was when I got a call for Chipmunks from a friend. They said there was a bunch and were looking to be rid of them. When I arrived to the property I was shocked, as I stopped counting at 47 different ones in the front yard alone. That was with out any double counting, there were more but didn't want to get mixed up. The funny thing is, his wife was feeding them corn. Quite a few chunky ones. Anyway, the baiting stations really helped  ;D
  • USA, NY, Wolcott

Offline dk1677

• Squirrel !
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • "Disco Dave"
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 07:58:00 AM »
Reds are nasty and around my property always a target. They will take eggs and kill young birds. Always legal here to take them
  • NY
22 Disco, Hammerli 850 22, Beeman RS3 22 ,Gamo viper express,Crosman 180 22 . One of many Dave's  ;) Forum Rules-  http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=919.msg6662#msg6662

Offline JohnnyPDX

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2021, 08:24:03 AM »
Nice job protecting those Robin, they are so nice to have around in the yard!

I did see the humor in your post title and I GET IT.

Offline Mole2017

• Squirrel Researcher
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2021, 01:17:01 PM »
Red and grey squirrels will eat other animals, young birds included, so you may have done that robin a huge favor. I think of my squirrel control efforts as part recreation, property protection, research and wildlife management. A walk around the block sure makes me wonder if I am making any headway--squirrels everywhere these days--but if they come to my yard I try not to let them leave...
  • Pendleton, SC
Gamo CFX .177 and .22, old style triggers
BSA R10 MK2 .177
Crosman 1377

Offline skyowa

• persona non grata
  • Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2021, 02:14:38 PM »
Oddly, it really seemed as if the squirrel was going after the robin, behavior I haven't seen before...
Squirrels are known cannibals that engage in infanticide, I've seen them rob nests too

• Iowa
Benjamin Armada .22
Benjamin Cayden .22
Hatsan Flash Wood QE
Gamo Swarm Magnum G2 .22
Benjamin 342

Offline ER00z

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2021, 02:44:04 PM »
I've only noticed red squirrels to go after greys. I had no idea they were aggressive towards other animals. I've taken reds on the request of friends and family who don't want to or can't when they become a problem around homes or property.
  • USA, NY, Wolcott

Offline avator

• Global Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Happiness is a warm airgun... -Lennon Modded-
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2021, 03:28:20 PM »
Often times I don't post my actions here, lest they be judged. I won't judge your actions either.
I have my reasons for doing the things I do as I'm sure others do as well.
  • From deep within the Rabbit Hole, Alabama

Offline JimD

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2021, 04:12:19 PM »
As far as I'm concerned it is up to me to decide which animal is more desirable and take out the less desirable.  But it isn't squirrel season here and as much as it disappoints my dog I'm trying to wait.  She loves retrieving them for me and that avoids any risk of them running off. 

I think the three keys to eating squirrels are to clean them efficiently (still working on that), cut off the legs and rear part of the back and throw the rest away (avoids the rat look), and to simmer them for a half an hour or more so they are tender.  They are dark meat but actually pretty tasty if cooked properly.  I also like them simmered in gravy over biscuits.  I've simmered them in brown gravy over egg noodles and simmered them in cubed tomatos over pasta too.  But I think in home made white gravy over biscuits is the best. 
  • USA, South Carolina, Lexington
Benjamin Marauder Pistol (Prod) tuned to 16-20 fpe
Sheridan Blue Streak, stock, about 14 fpe
Crosman 1377 shot as carbine and not modified about 5fpe
Air Venturi Avenger 25, current tune is 45-50 ft lbs

Offline ranchibi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2021, 06:27:41 PM »
Zack, like Lizzie said! And, I think you did the right thing. I saw a couple of crows taunting a Cooper’s hawk....I placed a pellet on the branch the crows were standing on and that ended that. I don’t like anything bullying anything and if it were the hawks messing with a crow I would do the same thing. Last week we had 3 crows in our front yards round garden two had one pinned and I opened the door and shouted and they all flew off....hate that...
  • U.S. CA
JSAR Raptor .22 TJ slug barrel Discovery HD 5-20X50 SFIR FFP
RAW HM1000x LRT Chassis .22 Athlon Ares 2.5-15x50 FFP MOA APLR3 Gen2
Beeman P17
PRod Discovery HD 4-20x50 FFP SFIR

Offline mrbulk

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Little things affect little minds” - Thoreau
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2021, 06:46:54 PM »
Charlie, having rid of 395 anything in a single night (or day) is impressive. I'm not familiar with mynahs but the numbers you encountered that evening seem very great.

The worst I've encountered was when I got a call for Chipmunks from a friend. They said there was a bunch and were looking to be rid of them. When I arrived to the property I was shocked, as I stopped counting at 47 different ones in the front yard alone. That was with out any double counting, there were more but didn't want to get mixed up. The funny thing is, his wife was feeding them corn. Quite a few chunky ones. Anyway, the baiting stations really helped  ;D

Haw!!! Hey Zack that’s his problem right there! But she deserves a heartfelt thanks for bringing all your targets in closer!
  • Las Vegas, NV, USA
Remember that none of this will matter in a hundred years. Have fun now.

Offline ranchibi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2021, 09:01:08 PM »
Hey Zack no worries, I was entertained by your story and likely would have done the same, especially if it was your private land and you preferred having the robins around so you humanely protected them from that bullying red.

As for sending animals to their great (whatever-it-is-depending-on-the-species) final resting place in the sky, I once did that to 395 mynahs (a pest bird in Hawaii where I used to shoot) in a single night. And the owner of that egg-laying farm sure was happy I was there to do it. 8)

Holy moly Charlie! That’s almost a full tin! LOL! Lots of Mynah’s in HI! Great shooting 😉
  • U.S. CA
JSAR Raptor .22 TJ slug barrel Discovery HD 5-20X50 SFIR FFP
RAW HM1000x LRT Chassis .22 Athlon Ares 2.5-15x50 FFP MOA APLR3 Gen2
Beeman P17
PRod Discovery HD 4-20x50 FFP SFIR