Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Hog organ meats  (Read 1011 times))

Offline VaporTrail

• E.D.F.
  • Expert
  • yes
Hog organ meats
« on: May 31, 2020, 09:27:14 PM »
Just curious if any of you consume them? What parts? Anything to watch out for in particular?

Way back when, we would include organ meats in a dish we have. Only thing is that the pig was usually raised/domesticated. We'd use some of the blood and throw in some organ meat; heart, liver, sometimes kidneys. Ears and nose if it wasn't going to be roasted. Heck, we'd even clean out the stomach and some of the intestines. I know some of you are probably  :o right now, but that's cool. Lol.

Wild pigs are probably a little different. I don't think I'd be using kidneys, stomach and intestines. Even the liver for that matter. What about the heart, though? I'm thinking it can be prepared same like the mountain oysters; sliced up, put on the grill with some salt and pepper and then dipped in a lemon/garlic/hot pepper/onion sauce.

Whaddya think?
  • Guam, USA
Gamo Magnum IGT .22
Stock Bullboss .22
Bullboss .25 (sold)
Winchester 70-35 (Legendary Edition)
Piatt Sumatra 2500 Long .25
Rally Version BullBoss .22
Pitbull Bulldog Carbine
Duk IL Hunting Master 2 .22
Duk IL Hunting Master RS .22
Sumatra Carbine .25

Offline longislandhunter

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • The 3rd GTA Musketeer (per Gene Curtis)
Re: Hog organ meats
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 09:54:05 PM »
I have no experience whatsoever with  wild pigs but I'm really looking forward to the responses from those who do  :)

Jeff
  • Long Island, New York
If it was easy it wouldn't be hunting it would be shopping.

Offline VaporTrail

• E.D.F.
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 10:08:30 PM »
just this weekend I fried up some wild pig. Took one rib cage, cut it in half length-wise an cut the ribs individually. Then gave it a light batter of flour, cornstarch, black pepper and garlic powder. Salted the ribs before tossing them in the flour, fried them till a nice golden brown.

Oh my my...that was some good eatin. I also sliced up some backstrap; that one had a nice layer of fat on it. Same deal, little bit of flour and some hot oil. The fat was sinful.  :o
  • Guam, USA
Gamo Magnum IGT .22
Stock Bullboss .22
Bullboss .25 (sold)
Pitbull Bulldog Carbine
Sumatra Carbine .25

Offline SwampHunter

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 01:27:15 AM »
Bottom line, anything that you would normally eat off of a domestic hog is safe to eat off of a wild one. The liver and heart are some of my favorite fixins fried up!!! Either go great with gravy over rice or mashed potatoes.
  • USA, FL

Offline VaporTrail

• E.D.F.
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2020, 02:03:18 AM »
Hmm...maybe the ones that are on my ranch I'd trust a little more. Those guys eat good stuff all year round. Tubers from November to about March-ish, guava, avocado, breadfruit, star apples, crab apples, mangoes, coconuts and mountain apples April to October.

The ones coming around the inlaws I wouldn't trust so much with organ meat, and that's because it's a semi-urban setting. I'm sure they're getting into some trash and whatever else is in the back. Some of them look like they've had a hard life; mangy coats, weird bulbous growths on various parts of their bodies, sometimes sporting an eye that doesn't look right.  :o Those I usually give a hard pass; I prefer healthy meat fully cooked through.

I do love me some liver and heart too. Gravy or dipped in a soy-lemon dipping sauce with onions and peppers. Oh boy...hot rice? Champ!!
  • Guam, USA
Gamo Magnum IGT .22
Stock Bullboss .22
Bullboss .25 (sold)
Pitbull Bulldog Carbine
Sumatra Carbine .25

Offline Chris USA

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 06:48:59 AM »
I am the type of person that will try about anything. There is not much I would not eat. I like hot foods.

As for "old-time/hard times" recipes, there is hogs head cheese. Cooked, put in a loaf pan and cooled,... I understand it is like a gelatinized cold cut/lunch meat.

The other one would be a variation of corn meal mush,.... "Scrapple". Pretty much, the cooked corn meal is just the binder. Any and all scraps of meat would be cooked and shredded, cooked with the corm meal mixture, put in to loaf pan, cooled and the sliced off and then fried on the stove top like mush or a meat patty would be.

I have not had either but I would try both. I have thought about making the scrapple with conventional store bought meat just to try the concept.
  • Ohio
Daystate Red Wolf HP/FAC in .25, 8-34x56 Athlon Argos
Maximus "hunter" in .22, 4-12x44 UTG
Barra 1866
Avanti 499
75th anniversary Red Ryder

Offline Tonykarter

• Crappie Savant
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 07:56:54 AM »
I would think that it would be okay if they are truly "wild", having eaten an organic diet in the woods.  To the extent that they can.  Pretty sure they wouldn't pass on any available carrion though!  The one wild pig by-product I haven't been able to put in my mouth is cracklins: the smell of a wild hog can be remembered for a loooong time, and I could never scrape that off.  Cracklins are just too close to that for me.  (Have you seen cracklins prices lately?  $20.00/pound!!!)
  • East Texas:  Snuff Gully, Surrounded by the Big Thicket Preserve

Offline SwampHunter

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 09:22:53 AM »
Hmm...maybe the ones that are on my ranch I'd trust a little more. Those guys eat good stuff all year round. Tubers from November to about March-ish, guava, avocado, breadfruit, star apples, crab apples, mangoes, coconuts and mountain apples April to October.

The ones coming around the inlaws I wouldn't trust so much with organ meat, and that's because it's a semi-urban setting. I'm sure they're getting into some trash and whatever else is in the back. Some of them look like they've had a hard life; mangy coats, weird bulbous growths on various parts of their bodies, sometimes sporting an eye that doesn't look right.  :o Those I usually give a hard pass; I prefer healthy meat fully cooked through.

I do love me some liver and heart too. Gravy or dipped in a soy-lemon dipping sauce with onions and peppers. Oh boy...hot rice? Champ!!
Err, yeah....sorry , I didn't think about that as I live in the country, I wouldn't trust any wild animal that lives around an urban environment. Jmo though. When I referred to wild I meant they type that you are referring too around your ranch.
  • USA, FL

Offline VaporTrail

• E.D.F.
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 07:29:41 PM »
I am the type of person that will try about anything. There is not much I would not eat. I like hot foods.

As for "old-time/hard times" recipes, there is hogs head cheese. Cooked, put in a loaf pan and cooled,... I understand it is like a gelatinized cold cut/lunch meat.

The other one would be a variation of corn meal mush,.... "Scrapple". Pretty much, the cooked corn meal is just the binder. Any and all scraps of meat would be cooked and shredded, cooked with the corm meal mixture, put in to loaf pan, cooled and the sliced off and then fried on the stove top like mush or a meat patty would be.

I have not had either but I would try both. I have thought about making the scrapple with conventional store bought meat just to try the concept.

I don't think I've ever had the opportunity to try either of those. Not a big fan of "gelatinized"...but I'm down to try it at least once. Scrapple sounds interesting too...maybe I'll look up a recipe and give it a shot. There's a Filipino dish called "sisig"...and that's basically the ears and nose and some other parts that are either boiled first and then fried, or boiled in a seasoned broth and then fried, adding in some pepper, garlic and little bit of lemon and soy. I made some about a month ago...my mistake was including all the fat from the neck meat.  :o I mean, it was good...but oh my did it feel like my arteries clogged.  :P

Err, yeah....sorry , I didn't think about that as I live in the country, I wouldn't trust any wild animal that lives around an urban environment. Jmo though. When I referred to wild I meant they type that you are referring too around your ranch.

Lol...yeah, no worries. If I was out in the country I'd be a not-so-lean, mean eating machine; just about anything that moves would make it to my dinner plate at least once. Just last weekend I dispatched a brown tree snake; I was thinking long and hard about skinning it and gutting it and putting it over a fire. I opted not to, just to spare the family. Lol...their eyes got pretty big when I said I was contemplating on grilling it up.

Thankfully, a new sounder has been coming around. They look pretty decent from the preliminary pictures. I still don't think I'd eat any organ meat off of them, but some breaded backstrap and/or ribs? Yessir!  ;D
  • Guam, USA
Gamo Magnum IGT .22
Stock Bullboss .22
Bullboss .25 (sold)
Pitbull Bulldog Carbine
Sumatra Carbine .25

Offline mpbby

• Expert
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 09:14:36 PM »
As you're being creative, one of my favorites among German cuisine (at restaurants) is boiled pork knee.  I never did it myself, but you may search for a German recipe.  If the result gets close.., I really think you'll enjoy.
  • São Paulo/Brazil

Offline VaporTrail

• E.D.F.
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 12:40:23 AM »
boiled pork knee, eh? Sounds interesting. One of the things we do here is deep fry a portion of the leg; either right below the knee or right above it. We call it "crispy pata".

That's another heart stopper right there.  :o
  • Guam, USA
Gamo Magnum IGT .22
Stock Bullboss .22
Bullboss .25 (sold)
Pitbull Bulldog Carbine
Sumatra Carbine .25

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2020, 08:26:00 AM »
As a child, one of Mama sisters and her husband lived a farm life and eliminated their own meats.  I have eaten all the things they prepared from all parts of the pig.  (I'm still here!)  [Wild pigs didn't exist back then - They never had a chance to become wild.   ;) ;) ]
Where I hunted in Louisiana and now hunt in Tennessee there are no wild pigs.  But I would surely kill one if offered the opportunity and consume the meat.  As with any meat, proper cooking is recommended. 
  • USA - Tennessee  --  Murfreesboro
Murfreesboro, Tennessee - Was Louisiana
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went. Will Rogers.
Passer par la porte arrière - D. L. Menard                    
Abbreviations / Acronyms ---> http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=51866.0;topicseen

Offline Madd Hatter

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2020, 03:20:04 PM »
then fried, adding in some pepper, garlic and little bit of lemon and soy

I think we have a pattern here! LoL
  • Juniper woods ranch   AZ
Be like the weather. It don't care what anybody thinks.

10 shots Aspen 25 yards

Offline VaporTrail

• E.D.F.
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2020, 01:51:55 AM »
As a child, one of Mama sisters and her husband lived a farm life and eliminated their own meats.  I have eaten all the things they prepared from all parts of the pig.  (I'm still here!)  [Wild pigs didn't exist back then - They never had a chance to become wild.   ;) ;) ]
Where I hunted in Louisiana and now hunt in Tennessee there are no wild pigs.  But I would surely kill one if offered the opportunity and consume the meat.  As with any meat, proper cooking is recommended.

Yeah, I think I turned out ok. Some people say that I'm a bit of an oddball, but hey; it's all subjective yeah?  ;D

In terms of proper preparation, yes, yes and yes. Ain't no way I'm eating anything pork that isn't well done. That goes for poultry too. Beef and fish, though...different story. Sometimes I like a medium rare, other times just rare. And then one of my favorites is a medium well on the grill with the fat toasted and crunchy.  :o Oh my gracious.

For the fish, squeeze a little lemon, crush some pepper and add some salt, and I'm in heaven.  ;D

then fried, adding in some pepper, garlic and little bit of lemon and soy

I think we have a pattern here! LoL

Lol...what can I say? I loves me some soy sauce. The dipping sauce we have here has several variations; two with soy, one with vinegar, one with lemon and one with coconut vinegar. Onions and pepper goes in all of them, garlic in some of them. They're all good.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.
  • Guam, USA
Gamo Magnum IGT .22
Stock Bullboss .22
Bullboss .25 (sold)
Pitbull Bulldog Carbine
Sumatra Carbine .25

Offline VaporTrail

• E.D.F.
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2020, 01:55:59 AM »
going back to the original inquiry, I've been thinking about saving the hearts of the wild pigs I catch. I'd like to grill them up and dip 'em in the lemon and pepper dipping sauce. We do the same thing with the mountain oysters.

I was curious if I could add any other organ meats to the grill. Liver, maybe kidneys?
  • Guam, USA
Gamo Magnum IGT .22
Stock Bullboss .22
Bullboss .25 (sold)
Pitbull Bulldog Carbine
Sumatra Carbine .25

Offline Bryan Heimann

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2020, 10:03:00 PM »
I am following this one!  Only organ meats I have prepared are heart and liver, of whitetail deer. Deer heart, prepared right, is my favorite meal.
  • Knob Noster, MO
regularguy11B/ regular guy/ laid over

Offline Smoketown

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2020, 08:29:37 PM »

Lots of scrapple here in Lancaster, PA ... A good haggis recipe is a nice thing to have too. Artificial casings for the squeamish.

Cheers,
Smoketown

• Smoketown, PA
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes an act of rebellion."
- George Orwell

Current Crop -
1965 Sheridan Blue Streak - She was my first "real airgun" - New in '66 ... I still have her!
Daisy 717 - 'bout 1984?
AA TX200 MK III - .177
AA S510 FAC - .177 - Regulated
NRA Life Member

Members Map - https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067
No Registration - Just Your Zip Code

Offline Tonykarter

• Crappie Savant
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2020, 08:47:21 PM »
Serve the hog organs to those in-laws that come too often and stay too long.  That'll thin the visits.
  • East Texas:  Snuff Gully, Surrounded by the Big Thicket Preserve

Online avator

• Global Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Happiness is a warm airgun... -Lennon Modded-
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2020, 08:51:31 PM »
Ham, sausage and bacon here, ya'll can have the rest.... CHECK PLEASE !!
  • From deep within the Rabbit Hole, Alabama

Offline VaporTrail

• E.D.F.
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2020, 09:57:34 PM »
I am following this one!  Only organ meats I have prepared are heart and liver, of whitetail deer. Deer heart, prepared right, is my favorite meal.

I love hearts, gizzards and some liver. Liver not as much as the first two, but I do get a craving for it every once in a while. I haven't been lucky down at the ranch lately, so no organ meats there. I haven't been harvesting any organ meats from the urban piggies. Too many unknown factors.

Next one we get at the ranch, though...I'll be taking the kidneys and heart. They'll be cleaned out and put straight on the grill with a little salt and pepper and then dipped in a lemon, onion and hot pepper dipping sauce. Bonus if I happen to get some mountain oysters too.

Lots of scrapple here in Lancaster, PA ... A good haggis recipe is a nice thing to have too. Artificial casings for the squeamish.

Cheers,
Smoketown

I need to look at getting some haggis recipes. I've never tried it, but it sounds very intriguing. Same as blood sausage. I'd like to try that too.

Serve the hog organs to those in-laws that come too often and stay too long.  That'll thin the visits.

Lol. No! Bad Tony, no!

Ham, sausage and bacon here, ya'll can have the rest.... CHECK PLEASE !!

You know what's been circling in my mind lately? Cured ham leg. You know, the one with the skin that you glaze with pineapple and brown sugar and some nutmeg sprigs? Oooooh sweet heavens...I absolutely love that stuff! I'm also going to invest in a meat grinder/sausage making machine, along with the casings. Nobody sells casings here, but I've found a couple of vendors on amazon that are willing to ship casings out here.

I'm thinking some pig meat with some duck liver mixed in. And of course a good Italian sausage recipe. And even bratwurst, if I can manage. Add an egg and a stick of butter to keep them all together, and I think I'll have a pretty good sausage.

Or a prescription for elevated cholesterol levels.  ???
  • Guam, USA
Gamo Magnum IGT .22
Stock Bullboss .22
Bullboss .25 (sold)
Pitbull Bulldog Carbine
Sumatra Carbine .25