Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Sling stud placement.  (Read 114 times))

Offline tjk

• Expert
Sling stud placement.
« on: July 30, 2021, 08:59:25 PM »
Installed a barrel mount sling swivel today, and tomorrow i plan to drill and install the butt stock pivot bolt. This on my Medina CCA #27 .20 Diana 34. My 35 has a stud half way on the butt stock area, but i seen them installed in the pistol grip butt or in the latter third part of the stock. Not sure im interested in a side mount application with this gun. Any thoughts , theories, or ideas?! Thanks GTA. tjk
  • South Carolina.
HWs & FWBs & Dianas oh my!!

Online Stinger177

• Favorite sport - Anything that requires a helmet.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
Re: Sling stud placement.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2021, 09:28:31 PM »
Interesting that you bring up this subject. I was just trying to order a sling from Krale (huge hangup with checking out for some reason).

Anyway, the sling I was ordering was for a 1970 HW35 that I recently acquired. I already have another 1971 HW35L Luxus that came from Weihrauch with the sling mounts attached.

That gun is currently stored away, but here is a pic for reference (note the Luxus/Bavarian style stock). The sling on this gun in the pic is an actual German AKAH sling of proper vintage for this rifle.

Hope this helps.

:D

• Denver, CO, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way   ... - .. -. --. . .-. .---- --... --... / - --- / -- --- - .... . .-. / ... .... .. .--. .-.-.- / .--. .-.. . .- ... . / -.-. --- -- . / -... .- -.-. -.- / .- -. -.. / --. . - / -- . .-.-.-
You can view my gun list here

Online Stinger177

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 10:01:18 PM »
TJK, just responded to your PM, but your inbox is full.

• Denver, CO, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way   ... - .. -. --. . .-. .---- --... --... / - --- / -- --- - .... . .-. / ... .... .. .--. .-.-.- / .--. .-.. . .- ... . / -.-. --- -- . / -... .- -.-. -.- / .- -. -.. / --. . - / -- . .-.-.-

Offline tjk

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2021, 10:02:52 PM »
Thats about where the stud is on my late model 35  but holy mackerel Dennis. That is a sweet looking rig!!!! My compliments Sir.
  • South Carolina.

Offline tjk

• Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 10:06:10 PM »
TJK, just responded to your PM, but your inbox is full.

Ten4
  • South Carolina.

Online Stinger177

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2021, 10:23:26 PM »
Thats about where the stud is on my late model 35  but holy mackerel Dennis. That is a sweet looking rig!!!! My compliments Sir.

Thanks. I got very lucky on that find. It's a 1970-71. I rebuilt it and retained the original leather seal. One of the best shooters in my small (?) fleet.

Online Stinger177

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2021, 10:24:45 PM »
tjk - PM sent

;)

Offline amb5500c

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2021, 10:47:50 PM »
I suggest just tying it on with a piece of string and experimenting with where it is the most comfortable and functional, before installing the studs. I have some that are barrel heavy due to incorrect placement of the studs. They tend to want to rotate down while carrying them over the shoulder, barrel up. The ones that I installed, I experimented with, and resolved that issue.
Richard
  • Louisiana
A.A. Pro Sport, 22
FX-T12, 22
Sam Yang Recluse 357
CZ 200S, 177
2 RWS mod. 48s, 177, & 22
2 Benjamin Marauders 22, & 25
Benjamin Trail NPXL1100
Benjamin Pump mod. 397, 397, 397P, 310, 310, 312, 342, 392.
Crosman Pump Mod. 140, 22
B3,177
2 Daisy Powerline 880s,177
Daisy 1894 BB
Daisy Red Ryder BB
Crosman 1377
Sheridan Blue Streak
Sheridan Silver Streak
Chinese Bull Pup 177

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2021, 11:13:52 PM »
I suggest just tying it on with a piece of string and experimenting with where it is the most comfortable and functional, before installing the studs. I have some that are barrel heavy due to incorrect placement of the studs. They tend to want to rotate down while carrying them over the shoulder, barrel up. The ones that I installed, I experimented with, and resolved that issue.
Richard
We need a "Like" button for things like this. Very smart. Good solid advice.
  • USA,  NY
Hw30- .177- Vortek PG2, Peep sights
Hw30 Laminate- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke
Airmax 2-7x32 AO. 
Hw30-.177 Vortek PG3 steel, Hawke Vantage IR 2-7x32 AO
Hw50- .177- Vortek PG3, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
Hw50- .22 - Vortek PG2, Peep sights
Hw95- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40
Hw97SE (Green 77 Laminate stock)-.177 Vortek PG3, Hawke 4-12x40 Airmax
P1- 0.20 now .177

Online Stinger177

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2021, 11:20:37 PM »
Richard

That's a really good suggestion Richard. You'd have to tie just the right loop and knot on the stock to keep it from slipping however. I'd suggest a clove hitch with a double wrap around the stock. Even then, the loop may slip up a tapered stock.

Reminds me of when I was a kid. I tied a piece of clothesline rope on my Red Ryder as a sling.

I've always been a big fan of slings. Don't know why. They just seem to add that extra bit of something to the right rifle.

Another example. My 1976 ARH (Robert Law era) HW30X-S (original stock is the above one - I didn't want to mess with the originality of the pure ARH stock).   :D

Offline HectorMedina

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
    • Connecticut Custom Airguns
« Reply #10 on: Today at 09:46:24 AM »
Installed a barrel mount sling swivel today, and tomorrow i plan to drill and install the butt stock pivot bolt. This on my Medina CCA #27 .20 Diana 34. My 35 has a stud half way on the butt stock area, but i seen them installed in the pistol grip butt or in the latter third part of the stock. Not sure im interested in a side mount application with this gun. Any thoughts , theories, or ideas?! Thanks GTA. tjk

It really depends WHAT you want the sling for.

IF you are really going to take long walks on mountainous terrain, then your best bet is thinking about the muzzle down/across both shoulders carry.
IF you are going to carry your gun just for short treks on flat land, then the best bet is the muzzle up carry.

The former needs the sling attachments to be on the SIDE of the gun (Think Mauser K98?).
The latter is the more commonly seen American style where the swivel is attached to the BOTTOM of the stock (Think Springfield 1917).

There are a few short notes here:
https://www.ctcustomairguns.com/hectors-airgun-blog/slinging-the-dianas

If you do NOT want to drill or affix permanently anything to your gun there is the "boot" or "universal" sling:
https://possibleshop.com/p-g-rifle-sling.html

https://www.octobercountry.com/universal-sling/

And if you want to use the "sterreicher Kipplauf" (Austrian break barrel)  carry, there is a very good alternative in the "Quake" sling:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016885719

Which is fairly normal in Europe for "drive" hunts so that you can carry your gun "broken" to show that you are safe.

PERSONALLY, I like the side mounted, flush mounts from Pachmayr, but those are discontinued:

The 430's and the 34k's that went out of the workshop as full custom gun, all had side mounted swivels, Pachmayr in the more upscale ones, or Uncle Mike's on the more normal ones:

So,  in the end, there is no right or wrong spot. It all depends what you are envisioning for your gun.

HTH!

HM
  • USA, Maryland, Darnestown

Offline tjk

• Expert
« Reply #11 on: Today at 06:01:13 PM »

It really depends WHAT you want the sling for.

IF you are really going to take long walks on mountainous terrain, then your best bet is thinking about the muzzle down/across both shoulders carry.
IF you are going to carry your gun just for short treks on flat land, then the best bet is the muzzle up carry.

The former needs the sling attachments to be on the SIDE of the gun (Think Mauser K98?).
The latter is the more commonly seen American style where the swivel is attached to the BOTTOM of the stock (Think Springfield 1917).

There are a few short notes here:
https://www.ctcustomairguns.com/hectors-airgun-blog/slinging-the-dianas

If you do NOT want to drill or affix permanently anything to your gun there is the "boot" or "universal" sling:
https://possibleshop.com/p-g-rifle-sling.html

https://www.octobercountry.com/universal-sling/

And if you want to use the "sterreicher Kipplauf" (Austrian break barrel)  carry, there is a very good alternative in the "Quake" sling:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1016885719

Which is fairly normal in Europe for "drive" hunts so that you can carry your gun "broken" to show that you are safe.

PERSONALLY, I like the side mounted, flush mounts from Pachmayr, but those are discontinued:

The 430's and the 34k's that went out of the workshop as full custom gun, all had side mounted swivels, Pachmayr in the more upscale ones, or Uncle Mike's on the more normal ones:

So,  in the end, there is no right or wrong spot. It all depends what you are envisioning for your gun.

HTH!

HM

Thanks Hector,  Ive decided to go mid way up the underside of the stock similar  to my 35Deluxe. the barrel pivot is about an inch ahead of the breech block. Love the short carbine barrel with this look. #27s a sexy beast!!! Pictures to come later!!
  • South Carolina.

Online Stinger177

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: Today at 08:14:09 PM »
Thanks for the info and feedback Hector.

You're the best!