Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: HW50 - Love it or Not? Mixed Thoughts?  (Read 890 times))

Offline Franklink

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
Re: HW50 - Love it or Not? Mixed Thoughts?
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2021, 06:30:23 AM »

FWIW-The new Weihrauch stocks are much better than the older ones.

-Y

Yogi - can you expand on why you like the new stocks better?

I love my HW50, but I do have it tuned down to about 10fpe.  For me, it's the best balance between power and shot cycle smoothness.  I've owned and tuned a few different springers (HW50, HW57, HW77, HW97, Diana 34PC, AATX200, etc.).  The HW50 is the only one that I hung onto and is one of my favorite rifles that I've owned.  This rifle and the RAW are probably the only rifles that I'll hang onto until I die.

Love it. Very similar experience to Gear Junkie. Tried a handful of other high quality springers and the only one still around is the HW50s in .177.

Other than FWB300s, the HW50s is the only springer that didn't drive me to the point of pure frustration with wandering poi and general inconsistency. All the rest moved on down the road.
  • Arizona

Offline MDriskill

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2021, 08:05:03 AM »
Another factor to be considered is that any springer needs some break-in time.

In this age of electronic instant gratification, we tend to forget that springers are technology from another time, LOL...any old-fashioned mechanical device needs some time to wear in a bit. Many make the mistake of judging based on the first few shots of a new or just-modified gun.

All of which is to say you will probably like the HW 50 better a year from now than when you first open the box...
Wood, steel, and leather...all you need for a proper airgun!

Offline Struckat

• Sharp Shooter
  • The red dog is always watching
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2021, 10:05:07 AM »
Marc I bought the 30 first based on advice given here. Best advice I have been given. Then I bought the 95 because I “Need” more power.

Owning these two has kept me from buying a 50. Well, my wife has an effect also.

If I had a 50, I am pretty sure that I would reduce the power to 10fpe or so to better match my ability, like I have done to my 95. But then would it be too close to the performance of the 30. Maybe so. If I drop the power on my 95 some more, would it not be too close to being a 50?

The answer for me is to sit tight and continue to shoot what I have.
  • In the basement, Illinois
1377, 1986

Offline SpiralGroove

• Ruminating Perfectionist !!!
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • >The gun's gotta look good and shoot straight ->
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2021, 11:42:15 AM »
Hey Guys,
Haven't read the thread, but I believe the HW50S is the Perfect Middle Class Springer.  Great balance of power & weight.
None of the Weihrauch springers are terribly hard to cock for me at 5'8" - 160 lbs.  Cocking it is harder than a HW30S, but what isn't?
IMO, it's ridiculous to think of the increased cocking effort as a deal breaker.

No sense is over thinking this one!

PS - The HW30S is borderline "Too Wimpy" for me...
  • Bothell, WA
PCP's:
BSA R10 (.177) Regulated
AR2079A-HPA (.177)
AR2079A-HPA (.22)
RAW HM1000x LRT Camo - (.22)
RAW HM1000x LRT RED - (.25)

Pumper's:
1973 Benjamin Franklin 342
1984 Benjamin Franklin 347

Springer's:
Beeman R9   (.20) - Circa 2019
Beeman R10 (.20) - Circa 1988
HW30S (.177)
HW35E (2) (.177)
HW50S (.177)
HW80 (.20)
HW95 Hybrid (.177)

Offline SteveP-52

• I just lurk, I'm no longer a
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2021, 01:00:56 PM »
Great thoughts across the board for anyone finding this thread but I do believe Marc the OP announced in another thread he ordered an HW30s Field Pro in .22.
  • Buffalo, NY, USA

Offline Marc

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2021, 01:18:16 PM »
Thanks Steve - yup!  Urban Pro .22 cal. on the way!  That light, compact, easy shooting little gun is just too sweet.  I decided I'll live with a few yards less range at this point.  But thanks all!
  • Wisconsin

Offline jccams

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2021, 01:29:27 PM »
Thanks Steve - yup!  Urban Pro .22 cal. on the way!  That light, compact, easy shooting little gun is just too sweet.  I decided I'll live with a few yards less range at this point.  But thanks all!
Good Deal Marc, I like my HW30 .22 for what I do.  Let us know what you think once you put some lead down range.
  • Hamburg, MI USA
Diana LP8 Magnum-For Sale

Offline cvasquez

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2021, 01:43:13 PM »
I just bought a new HW50s in 177cal.this year  Years ago I owned the new hW50s in 22cal and had it fully tuned. I also own an HW30s (R7 flavor). My thoughts-- Well the HW30s is a great introduction to springers for newcomers. Its easy to cock, dead accurate and no hold sensitivity problems. High Quality German design you simply cannot go wrong with this gun. Now moving up the line and I say that because thats exactly it,  a step up in size, weight,and  power is the wonderful HW50s. Just as accurate as its little brother the added power comes with a little more cocking effort . Its hold sensitivity is hardly noticed since the gun is slightly larger and heavier. Tuning springers smooths this out too.  And this gun can add more range. IF anyone remembers just how great the FWB124 Sporters were, the HW50s has the same power and accuracy with a better trigger and a touch smaller size. I can undertand why some shooters say if I could only have one air rifle, the HW50s in 177 would be it.  I might also add that these new stocks are way better than the old styles. They are trimmer and have nice woodwork in them giving a sexier appeal as well as a less clubby feel.
  • Plainview,NY

Offline dmflyer

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2021, 01:58:32 PM »
I had a new one that I bought for the 20 Cal barrel so I took it apart :D. It had plenty of brown grease and looked good on the outside. The spring had about .020 clearance on the guide, there were some shavings in the grease on the piston and the seal had some slight nicks. I shot it a few times with FTT'S and it was about 625 fps, AoA said 650 but they are a lot  lower there. By the way the barrel had too much choke, I cut it off and it shoots great on the older tuned gun. Richard
  • Klamath Falls

Offline dmflyer

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2021, 02:07:10 PM »
That upper gun in the second picture is a 95, I was trying to show the difference in linkage. I would like a shorter 95 better than the 50 ;)
  • Klamath Falls

Offline Raysfan

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2021, 09:35:29 PM »
I have two 50s one in .177 detuned to about 9.5 fpe I love it . Light and a joy to shoot. I just purchased one in .22 and am going to leave it full power snd drop in a Tbt top hat and guide to reduce the twang to make it more backyard friendly. Get one and you will be hapoy.
  • Ft Walton Beach, Florida

Offline Oldgringo

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2021, 04:49:02 PM »
Hey Guys,
Haven't read the thread, but I believe the HW50S is the Perfect Middle Class Springer.  Great balance of power & weight.
None of the Weihrauch springers are terribly hard to cock for me at 5'8" - 160 lbs.  Cocking it is harder than a HW30S, but what isn't?
IMO, it's ridiculous to think of the increased cocking effort as a deal breaker.

FWIW, I totally agree, Kirk.  In fact, shooting today began with my red dot 50S and the peep sighted 50s is still in her rest out on the patio for Happy Hour shooting.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 04:56:42 PM by Oldgringo »
  • Pineywoods of east Texas
Gittin' old beats not gittin' old!

On the map!

Offline Lt. Dan

• I'm just a sinner saved by grace.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
    • Gaither Vocal Band - Sinner Saved by Grace
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2021, 05:03:33 PM »
Hey Guys,

FWIW, I totally agree, Kirk.  In fact, shooting today began with my red dot 50S and the peep sighted 50s is still in her rest out on the patio for Happy Hour shooting.
Right there with you guys. 
  • USA, Mississippi,  Jones County

Offline Mark 611

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Yoda!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2021, 05:37:53 PM »
Very nice shooting Dan!!!! The HW50 in .20cal with the FTT's gives a tic more speed, but my HW50 in .22cal shoot just as good as yours! My 50 has a 10.5'' barrel aves 620fps with the FTT's JM Kitted and tuned by me, my .22cal barrel is not pellet picky, it shoots a wide range of pellets very well! again nice shooting buddy ;)
  • Indiana
In the words of my friend OC Bolding he told me if ur gonna Dance with DEVIL you got to wear the shoes!!!!! How true this is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
54 JUNKYARD AIRGUNS FORUM MEMBER!!!!!
When good men are silent only evil is heard!
Let he who is without SIN cast the first stone!

Beeman R1 carbine .20cal X2
HW95 .22cal
HW50 .20cal X2
HW50 .22cal
HW35 .177cal

U.K. Webley Tomahawk .22cal
Diana T06 460mag .22cal
Cometa Fenix 400 compact.22cal

Offline Lt. Dan

• I'm just a sinner saved by grace.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
    • Gaither Vocal Band - Sinner Saved by Grace
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2021, 06:08:41 PM »
Very nice shooting Dan!!!! The HW50 in .20cal with the FTT's gives a tic more speed, but my HW50 in .22cal shoot just as good as yours! My 50 has a 10.5'' barrel aves 620fps with the FTT's JM Kitted and tuned by me, my .22cal barrel is not pellet picky, it shoots a wide range of pellets very well! again nice shooting buddy ;)
Thanks Mark, my HW50-.22 was a gift from (John Carr) fwbsport.  We he sent it to me he said it had too much vibration for him,  well it did for me as well. After the first 10 pellets my jaw was aching.  I took the stock off and lubed the very, very dry spring through the cocking slot. After 50 or so pellets the vibration was gone. It just keeps getting better and better.
  • USA, Mississippi,  Jones County