Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Rws 34 classic in .177 for squirrel and plinking  (Read 659 times))

Offline mobilemail

• GTA Senior Contributor
Re: Rws 34 classic in .177 for squirrel and plinking
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2021, 02:11:55 PM »
I use a Hawke Vantage 2-7x32AO on my Diana 34 shooting ~15fpe, it has been fine. Actually it is my favorite scope on a springer.  That said...I blew one up on a 20fpe Diana 48.  :-[  Don't try that experiment....

As for pellets, I find JSB 8.44 or 10.3gr to both do well.  At least as they can do in an aging, shaky, caffeine-infused, unskilled shooter! :-)
  • Greene County IL 62016
Hey Daystate, FX, Air Arms and BSA - we need those left handed rifles!!!

Offline Bamajoey

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2021, 11:25:23 AM »
When I got my D34 the first of the year I also bought a tin of RWS 8.2 wadcutters. I was well pleased with them until I tried the H&N FTT’s. The FTT’s are a step above. Most groups are 3/8-1/2 at 70-80 feet. Most of the bushy tailed rats are taken at that range.
  • USA, FL, Pensacola

Offline Yogi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2021, 11:40:15 AM »
When I got my D34 the first of the year I also bought a tin of RWS 8.2 wadcutters. I was well pleased with them until I tried the H&N FTT’s. The FTT’s are a step above. Most groups are 3/8-1/2 at 70-80 feet. Most of the bushy tailed rats are taken at that range.

Wadcutter are designed to be supper accurate at 10 meters.  They are usually good out to 20+/- yards.  Not designed or expected to be accurate at longer distances. ;)

-Y
  • San Francisco, CA
Hatsan 95 Vortex, .22
RWS 6G, .177
RWS LP8 Magnum, .177
Diana 340 N-Tec, .22 Compact Lexus
HW 50S, .177, .20, and .22

Offline hobbiest

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2021, 08:09:26 PM »
I just got a 34. Have four different h&n pellets and Baracuda hunter extreme did the best. They were out of jsb. I threw on a Burris droptine  rimefire I had laying around. Holding up so far. I called them and they said they dont advertise it but all their scopes are airgun rated. Used a hawkee one pc mount med height and its doing well after 120 shots. Not sure med is tall enough for an ao scope but there is room between it and the barrel.
  • Lincoln,Illinois

Offline SwampHunter

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2021, 08:20:12 PM »
I use a Hawke Vantage 2-7x32AO on my Diana 34 shooting ~15fpe, it has been fine. Actually it is my favorite scope on a springer.  That said...I blew one up on a 20fpe Diana 48.  :-[  Don't try that experiment....

As for pellets, I find JSB 8.44 or 10.3gr to both do well.  At least as they can do in an aging, shaky, caffeine-infused, unskilled shooter! :-)
That is actually the scope i have that i wanted to try, i have a couple 40mm obj hawkes too but i want to keep it as light as possible. Definitely going to try the 8.44 and 10.3 jsb, that has been top recommended so far, just waiting for someone to have them so i can order them!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 08:24:35 PM by SwampHunter »
  • USA, FL

Offline SwampHunter

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2021, 08:21:14 PM »
I just got a 34. Have four different h&n pellets and Baracuda hunter extreme did the best. They were out of jsb. I threw on a Burris droptine  rimefire I had laying around. Holding up so far. I called them and they said they dont advertise it but all their scopes are airgun rated. Used a hawkee one pc mount med height and its doing well after 120 shots. Not sure med is tall enough for an ao scope but there is room between it and the barrel.
Thank you, i will try some of the extremes, they usually do pretty well for me in .22
  • USA, FL

Offline SwampHunter

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2021, 08:22:32 PM »
Are there diff head sizes for the ftt in .177 like .22? If so what size are you using?
  • USA, FL

Offline SwampHunter

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2021, 08:28:41 PM »
I don't know the range that you will be hunting.  But consider using the open sights at least till you get the hang of the D 34.
For fast moving game, much easier.....

-Y
I will shoot it open sight some, just to see how i like them, i dont have anything against open sights. Im just picky about them and never find the type i like on an airgun. Not good at the names of them but think 10/22 factory sights.....if i could find some of those.....around here the scope helps when they are up in the big oaks and pecan trees.
  • USA, FL

Offline Bamajoey

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2021, 08:05:12 AM »
Are there diff head sizes for the ftt in .177 like .22? If so what size are you using?
  • USA, FL, Pensacola

Offline SwampHunter

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2021, 08:02:57 PM »
Shipping says it should arrive friday and so far i havent found any jsb pellets that weren't priced high.I picked up 1k cphp to shoot for break-in though.
  • USA, FL