Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Weihrauch air rifles, are they that good?  (Read 5251 times))

Offline ER00z

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
Weihrauch air rifles, are they that good?
« on: April 30, 2021, 03:20:56 AM »
I've noticed the HW's and their Beeman counterparts have a strong following. I've never shot, held or seen in person a Weihrauch rifle. I've worked my way up to Diana air rifles, but curious as to if Weihrauch's are that good?

All the posts of the HW30's is making me want to buy one, but not sure if that's the way I want to go. The HW50 and HW95 seem very popular also, but seem would overlap with my current airguns in power/use.Then there's the HW35... All of which I have little knowledge on.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 03:44:53 AM by ER00z »
  • USA, NY, Wolcott

Offline Mark 611

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Yoda!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Weihrauch air rifles, are they that good?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2021, 03:34:06 AM »
No don't buy 1, leave them for us HW lovers!  8)
  • Indiana
In the words of my friend OC Bolding he told me if ur gonna Dance with DEVIL you got to wear the shoes!!!!! How true this is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
54 JUNKYARD AIRGUNS FORUM MEMBER!!!!!
When good men are silent only evil is heard!
Let he who is without SIN cast the first stone!

Beeman R1 carbine .20cal X2
HW95 .22cal
HW50 .20cal X2
HW50 .22cal
HW35 .177cal

U.K. Webley Tomahawk .22cal
Diana T06 460mag .22cal
Cometa Fenix 400 compact.22cal

Offline Stinger177

• Favorite sport - Anything that requires a helmet.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2021, 03:38:45 AM »
The simple answer to your topic question is:

YES, they are that good.

Whereas you have an honorable collection of airguns, any Weihrauch of equal level (power, action, caliber) will, (or should) impress you.

If you want to introduce yourself into the Weihrauch World, the least expensive route would be the HW30S, (and you will not regret that purchase).

Next step up would be the HW35, which is sort of an equal to the Diana 34, only of much more quality, accuracy and tame. Some will say that the HW50 is the best all-around, but they are usually referring to the more modern HW50's. The HW50S that I own is a pre-80's version, which is entirely different from current offerings, so I cannot give you any advice on that choice.

Basically, buy what you can afford in a Weihrauch for a test model and you will see why we all love them so much.

Do that, and you WILL buy more Weihrauch.

:D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 03:42:53 AM by Stinger177 »
  • Denver, CO, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way   ... - .. -. --. . .-. .---- --... --... / - --- / -- --- - .... . .-. / ... .... .. .--. .-.-.- / .--. .-.. . .- ... . / -.-. --- -- . / -... .- -.-. -.- / .- -. -.. / --. . - / -- . .-.-.-
You can view my gun list here

Offline ER00z

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 03:54:01 AM »
I guess it's good that I have my fill of underlevers. A few less models to look at.  ;D

• USA, NY, Wolcott

Offline Stinger177

• Favorite sport - Anything that requires a helmet.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2021, 04:27:20 AM »
I guess it's good that I have my fill of underlevers. A few less models to look at.  ;D

As far as underlevers, do not discount the HW77 or 97.

I love my 97KT!!

:D

• Denver, CO, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way   ... - .. -. --. . .-. .---- --... --... / - --- / -- --- - .... . .-. / ... .... .. .--. .-.-.- / .--. .-.. . .- ... . / -.-. --- -- . / -... .- -.-. -.- / .- -. -.. / --. . - / -- . .-.-.-
You can view my gun list here

Offline SpiralGroove

• Ruminating Perfectionist !!!
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • >The gun's gotta look good and shoot straight ->
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2021, 06:36:49 AM »

Yes ER,
IMO you can't go wrong with either of the HW30S, HW50S, HW35E or HW95.
There has been a lot of raving about the HW30S lately, but I prefer the HW50S, HW35E and HW95L more.
If you want to retire your Hatsan 135, look no further than a HW80S.

I previously owned the all the Hatsan's and the HW77K/HW97 - sold them because of lack of use relative to the above listed guns.
  • Bothell, WA
PCP's:
BSA R10 (.177) Regulated
AR2079A-HPA (.177)
AR2079A-HPA (.22)
QB79-HPA (.22)
RAW HM1000x LRT Camo - (.22)

Pumper's:
1973 Benjamin Franklin 342
1984 Benjamin Franklin 347

Springer's:
Beeman R9   (.20) - Circa 2019
Beeman R10 (.20) - Circa 1988
HW30S (.177)
HW35E (2) (.177)
HW35E (.177) Nickel
HW50S (.177)
HW50S Nickel (.177)
HW80 (.20)
HW95 Hybrid (.177)

Offline lizzie

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 07:05:24 AM »
I never was a believer until I started buying R- series guns, and had been somewhat of a Diana devotee prior, but now that I have a few HW/ Beemans, I "get it". I still love the Diana models, and still buy old ones, having picked up a beautiful little model 27 as recently as the last fun shoot trip, but HW has earned my trust. I still won't buy a new one, but they have a deserved great reputation here.
  • USA, TX, DFW
"Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running." -anonymous

Offline SpiralGroove

• Ruminating Perfectionist !!!
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • >The gun's gotta look good and shoot straight ->
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2021, 07:52:23 AM »
HW has earned my trust. I still won't buy a new one, but they have a deserved great reputation here.
Jeez Lizzie -
Are you conflicted or what :P.
Anybody with any mechanical aptitude should buy a new on from Krale - period.
The new ones are made better than the old ones, the older ones I have worked used internals of lower quality.
However, on that note, I don't think the internals have improved much ... and can be greatly improved with a tune -> like the older ones needed too ;).

If you've tuned a Hatsan, then you understand what "Crude" is.  Weihrauch vs. Hatsan (Night/Day). 
  • Bothell, WA
PCP's:
BSA R10 (.177) Regulated
AR2079A-HPA (.177)
AR2079A-HPA (.22)
QB79-HPA (.22)
RAW HM1000x LRT Camo - (.22)

Pumper's:
1973 Benjamin Franklin 342
1984 Benjamin Franklin 347

Springer's:
Beeman R9   (.20) - Circa 2019
Beeman R10 (.20) - Circa 1988
HW30S (.177)
HW35E (2) (.177)
HW35E (.177) Nickel
HW50S (.177)
HW50S Nickel (.177)
HW80 (.20)
HW95 Hybrid (.177)

Offline Struckat

• Sharp Shooter
  • The red dog is always watching
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 07:57:20 AM »
I only have experience with one other brand of springer. That gun destroyed my interest in spring guns.

Last year I bought a HW30 and 95. Those two are so good that I am having a hard time buying anything, even another HW.
  • In the basement, Illinois
1377, 1986

Offline Deerstalker

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 08:00:45 AM »
The HW95L is a high quality Weihrauch air rifle that is reliable and accurate.  I installed a Hawke scope on mine.

• USA, North Carolina, Cary
HW95L .22  "Crazy Accurate"
AIRMAX 30, SF, IR, COMPACT 4-16 x 44 mm

Semper Fi

Offline Bimota

• Plinker
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 09:44:35 AM »

Years ago I had a AA TX200HC. I enjoy the HW50S more than my old TX.

Disclaimer - I don't shoot from a table.
  • Fla

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2021, 09:46:52 AM »
I'm sold on them. The engineering, fit and finish is much better than any of my powder burners and most airguns I've seen. Are they perfect, no, but they are definitely better than similar comparable priced, currently available airguns. If you're going to buy a new springer you'd be hard pressed to find a better built gun for the same money. The only current company that can rival it is Air Arms but they are more money and apparently difficult to get right now.
  • USA,  NY
Hw30- .177- Vortek PG2, Williams peep sights
Hw30 Laminate- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke Airmax 2-7x32 AO. 
Hw50- .177- Vortek PG3, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
Hw50- .22 - Vortek PG2, Williams peep sights
Hw95- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40
Hw97SE (Green 77 Laminate stock)-.177 Vortek PG3, Hawke 4-12x40 Airmax
P1- 0.20 now .177

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Start the day with the GTA!
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2021, 09:47:49 AM »
Funny thing, I am on the other side. I have had a desire to try a Diana to see how they compare.
 "Grass is always Greener" thing I guess.
But yes, I believe HW's are all they are told to be..... Although I only can afford old used ones. ;)
Psalm 27

JimQwerty123 always said ...
"Shoot safe and have fun,"

Offline ER00z

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2021, 09:49:12 AM »
Thanks for all the replies. Everyone seems to enjoy their HW's. Most likely I'll buy a HW30 soon. I'll have to see who has what in stock. With the different options available the price varies quite a bit. The only one new for sale I have found in stock (at this time) was at AOA, with the Urban Pro package. We'll see what happens within the next month. Thanks again for the replies. 
  • USA, NY, Wolcott

Offline lizzie

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2021, 09:54:25 AM »
HW has earned my trust. I still won't buy a new one, but they have a deserved great reputation here.
Jeez Lizzie -
The new ones are made better than the old ones, the older ones I have worked used internals of lower quality.
However, on that note, I don't think the internals have improved much ... and can be greatly improved with a tune -> like the older ones needed too ;).

If you've tuned a Hatsan, then you understand what "Crude" is.  Weihrauch vs. Hatsan (Night/Day). 

😄 not conflicted at all!
I know what I like!

Lololololol
  • USA, TX, DFW
"Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running." -anonymous

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2021, 10:08:38 AM »
Zack you will not regret buying a Hw30. This is as long as you aren't buying it for power. As delivered it's a 7.5 fpe gun when the dust settles. IMO it's the world's best backyard airgun for targets and plinking. That is as long as your back yard isn't more then 30 yards deep. It'll handle pesting birds and bunnies that range too. Squirrels are a little tougher so I don't usually try them past 20 yards unless I'm shooting really well that day. If you want accuracy and pesting past 30 yards go for a Hw50 or 95.
  • USA,  NY
P1- 0.20 now .177

Offline ER00z

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2021, 10:13:57 AM »
Funny thing, I am on the other side. I have had a desire to try a Diana to see how they compare.
But yes, I believe HW's are all they are told to be..... Although I only can afford old used ones. ;)

I wouldn't trade my Diana 54, 460 or 350's for anything. The rest are very good, but those three models (4 guns) are my favorite by far. They just "click" with me.
  • USA, NY, Wolcott

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2021, 10:17:35 AM »

I wouldn't trade my Diana 54, 460 or 350's for anything. The rest are very good, but those three models (4 guns) are my favorite by far. They just "click" with me.
Never mind my concerns for your pest control. Looks like you're sporting plenty of power for when you need it. Get a Hw30 and it will be an absolute joy to shoot for hours.
  • USA,  NY
P1- 0.20 now .177

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Start the day with the GTA!
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2021, 10:21:16 AM »
Thanks Zack... In my humble opinion German "Frau" are the tops in springers.
When I search the auction sites I shop in this order...
HW / Weihrauch / Beeman
FWB / Feinwerkbau
RWS / Diana
Psalm 27

JimQwerty123 always said ...
"Shoot safe and have fun,"

Offline nced

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2021, 10:38:27 AM »
Jeez Lizzie -

"The new ones are made better than the old ones"
After buying HW breakbarrels for a few decades I completely agree with this statement. I found that my later HW95 has better construction and fit than my earlier Beeman R9s. A couple examples......
Older R9 fixed barrel latch and welded stock mounting tabs vs the "new design bolt on arrangement. If the "old design" stock mounting tab threads get stripped the fix is a threaded insert. To date I've never had the "newer design" sintered metal combination barrel latch/stock mounting bracket threads to fail........

The older HW break barrels used a cocking shoe that was supported by a thin metal sleeve whereas the newer design cocking shoe slides on the edges of the cocking shoe cutout in the receiver. The newer design is better for adjusting barrel pivot tension since the older design cocking shoe was pressed between the piston liner and receiver tube ID...........

The older HWs used a "thin edged parachute piston seal" that "sapped power" and tended to make the poi more "temperature sensitive" than the newer "thick edged parachute piston seal"...........

The older HW break barrels were pressed into the barrel pivot block, then pinned in place with a dowel. The older HW barrels had a more noticeable constriction in the bore than the newer method of pressing a "splined barrel" into the barrel pivot block without using a separate dowel pin retailer...........

I found that there were a few older HW springers with receivers that were "excessively honed" toward the transfer port so the piston seal didn't have as much "squish" during the critical "last fraction on an inch". This wasn't an issue with the "rubber parachute seal" but after I started making oring sealed piston caps for my guns I found that if the piston with oring seal could be pushed past the receiver "knockouts" without damage the oring fit wasn't sufficient at the transfer port end. Here are a couple pics of my R9 receiver tube ID vs the later HW95 tube ID. The fit and finish of the HW95 receiver to piston was so good that all I did was polish the piston skirt a bit. Seems that my newer HW springer CNC fabrication  was/is more consistent than the older "gorilla with a hone"........

Anywhoo.......while not perfect (HW seems to have some "new design piston seal consistency issues", HW has improved their break barrel construction, fit and finish over the years rather than simply be content with the "status quo". I personally would rather own a "newer version" than those of a couple decades ago! .

• USA, North Carolina, Rougemont