Pyramyd Air
Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets

Author Topic: 1300 build date??  (Read 142 times))

Offline Hawk-I

• Shooter
1300 build date??
« on: April 20, 2021, 11:34:51 AM »
Hi, I've done some research on the various ways Crosman assigned Serial numbers according to date of manufacture with the many various models.
I have acquired a 1300 Medalist II in .22cal.  I'm stumped as to when it was built because the serial number stamped on the Breech Cover doesn't match up to the way I have read indications that the first 2 digit being month and 3rd/4th digit the year. 
The serial number is: 123999 (no letters, no omissions)  The pistol has the Sliding Breech cover and a hole in the Rear Tube Cap .  I have the original box and owner's instruction sheet. The pistol pumps up tight and shoots...but I haven't yet checked the velocity with my Chrony.  I plan on restoring the metal work that has a light oxidized patina.
Can anyone help with an educated guess or precise indication on the build date, please ?   This information would help in the valuation of the airgun as a collector.
Thanks.

Hawk-i
  • Quebec, Canada
HAVE GUN. WILL SHOOT.

Offline longhunter

• what if we removed all the warning labels, and let nature take it's course?
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
Re: 1300 build date??
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 07:42:00 PM »
I have a 1322 Medalist, with wrap around grips, rear cocking. It also has the reddish marbled grips, pump handle.  Rough guess would be early 90's. I do recall the rear cocking, sliding breech still being made in the mid-90's, because I bought a new backpacker, with those attributes in 94, or 95.
Look at the printing date on the instruction sheet.  That should give you a rough idea, seeing as the medalist was the granddaddy of the 1300 series.
  • casco, wi. USA
'87 Diana 48 .177
crosman model 1 first varient
Benjamin NP pistol
Beeman P17 
Crosman 140
Diana K98
Crosman 1322 Medalist
Benjamin 310 (early)
Crosman 2100

Offline Hawk-I

• Shooter
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 01:57:43 PM »
I have a 1322 Medalist, with wrap around grips, rear cocking. It also has the reddish marbled grips, pump handle.  Rough guess would be early 90's. I do recall the rear cocking, sliding breech still being made in the mid-90's, because I bought a new backpacker, with those attributes in 94, or 95.
Look at the printing date on the instruction sheet.  That should give you a rough idea, seeing as the medalist was the granddaddy of the 1300 series.

Thanks for the suggestions. Just to confirm...my pistol has indeed the 'wrap around 2 piece' grip in the reddish/brown marbled plastic as does the pump handle.
The main frame part was painted in a black wrinkled finish (now mostly warn off). With regards to a print date on the Instruction sheet...there is no such indication to be found.  For the record...whenever this pistol was manufactured Crosman was a Division of the  COLEMAN Company as stated in the litterature and a logo on the box face and sides. 
With regards to the cocking mechanism on my 1300 Medalist II...there is no Rear Cocking...only need to turn the Breech Cover to "unlock' and slide the Cover  back to expose the loading bay and pellet probe. Push forward...turn and lock Breech Cover and the pistol is cocked. The feature that stands out here is the fact the Rear Tube Cap has a hole the size of a coat hanger wire. I believe this feature has bearing on the period the pistol was manufactured since the Medalist series of airguns don't all have such a feature.
Welcome any other suggestions.
Hawk-i
  • Quebec, Canada
HAVE GUN. WILL SHOOT.

Online Tack Driver 10

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 04:32:51 PM »
The 1300 Medalist II was made from 1970-1976.
It was the first model in the 1300 line.
It's a self cocker like the early 760s and 140.

https://discover.crosman.com/blog/crosman-product-dates-of-manufacture
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 04:38:00 PM by Tack Driver 10 »
  • Oklahoma

Offline Hawk-I

• Shooter
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 06:52:08 PM »
TackDriver,
Thank you very much.  That is precisely what I want to know is the 'period' when this one was built. With regards to the serial number it would then seem that Crosman started with a 00000x sequence forward for the duration of the model.
Knowing this pistol is at least 45 years old is outstanding to me. Got to be then the 'oldest' airgun I own.
Cheers!

Hawk-i
  • Quebec, Canada
HAVE GUN. WILL SHOOT.