Pyramyd Air
Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets

Author Topic: waxing the bore  (Read 2609 times - 1 votes) 
)

Offline Cableaddict

• Marksman
  • yes
Re: waxing the bore
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2021, 02:40:27 AM »
So my girlfriend called me up tonight and said,  "Hey baby,  I'm feeling really lonely. Why don't you come on over?"

But I replied,  "Sorry, Doll face.  I'm gonna' stay in tonight and wax my bore."

She wasn't thrilled.
==========================

OK, that was too easy.    :(

But seriously -  Now I understand, (thanks to Jason & RDB)   
However,  I'm not sure this will work any better than my standard practice of coating my slugs with (teflon-based)  Tri-Flow.
That works amazingly (increased accuracy and slightly increased velocity)  and I have never even fully cleaner my barrel. (Just cloth pulls with Ballistol.)

I guess I'll be ordering the Tipton rod and JB paste, etc after all now.  But once my barrel is squeaky clean, I'm thinking I'll once again use the Tri-Flow.  It's definitely more slippery than carnuba wax,  fill the microscopic pores, and does not easily wear off.

Any thoughts on this, or reasons to talk me into the wax after all?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 02:43:09 AM by Cableaddict »
  • USA, NY, Suffern

Offline Cableaddict

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2021, 02:50:35 AM »
  • USA, NY, Suffern

Offline HunterWhite

• Hunter Whitebeard
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Foto 3:45 AM under waxing crescent moon 🌙
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2021, 07:02:33 AM »
And if waxing is still king, this stuff might be even better than Treewax, as Treewax is a blend whereas this appears to be 100% carnuba, plus a hard liquifier:

https://www.amazon.com/Lundmark-Wax-Paste-Clear-Lb/dp/B000BYAQC2/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=100%25+carnauba+wax&qid=1618983907&s=home-garden&sr=1-6

It says "combustable", maybe from the turpentine,  so watch out for deseling.

Hunter
  • Arlington Texas
Condor 25, SynRod 25, 2240, Umarex Colt, 177 FaTRod😎

Offline Motorhead

• Field Target Shooter .... Stand em up Shoot em down
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • 2019 Hall Of Fame Recipient
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2021, 12:05:50 PM »
And if waxing is still king, this stuff might be even better than Treewax, as Treewax is a blend whereas this appears to be 100% carnuba, plus a hard liquifier:

https://www.amazon.com/Lundmark-Wax-Paste-Clear-Lb/dp/B000BYAQC2/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=100%25+carnauba+wax&qid=1618983907&s=home-garden&sr=1-6

Hunter
The carrier that liquefies the wax allowing application QUICKLY evaporates.  ZERO chance of dieseling IMO.

Being the individual who presented BORE WAXING to the air gun community unintentionally a few years ago. ( as a tuner had been doing so for many years ) it's process came to public knowledge after years of tidbit parts and pieces of the process finally culminated as a W T F is the process and the why for ??? being shared with a few others who matter of fact asked.  Had no problem with it being shared, tho was not going to state such info openly.

There are some KEY aspects of whats required and here is list as i feel is priority.

PROVEN barrel that is by in large accurate.
LAPPING of bore being in many instances more aggressive than JB paste offers.
Best finish provided by @ 400 grit lap compounds and NOT high polished !
Leade & Crown + transfer path ( PCP's ) correctly done.

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN bore after said work ... I'm talking near surgical clean !!  *Personally use NAPTHA making sure Zero oils or solvents used previous are on bore surface or within the microscopic fretting of bore surface.

LIBERAL Tre-wax on a patch using a round jag tip & hard / coated cleaning rod having patch a SNUG FIT TO BORE
Back & forth strokes from either end ... Mop the bore wet with wax !!!
* What we're doing is burnishing the wax INTO the microscopic frets in the bores surface filling the microscopic voids pellet lead gets into and sticks on.

LET DRY for a 1/2 hour min in warm weather.  longer is actually better.  We want wax to harden !
Wipe excess wax off crown and leade / transfer areas.
NO NEED TO PUT A DRY PATCH DOWN BORE ..... Shoot a few pellets and any excess wax in the bore instantly removed !!

While others have played and found successes doing it other ways, this ABOVE is what MOTORHEADS AG TUNING has done for years and it works !!   Results personally & professionally speak volumes.

Scott S
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 12:25:53 PM by Motorhead »
  • Northern California ... Old Hangtown
** Home of MOTORHEADS AG Tuning Services **
        ** PM me for further contact & tuning info.

Sacramento Valley Field Target Club
#https://sites.google.com/site/sacvalleyairgunclub/

Offline RDB

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2021, 02:08:45 PM »
Scott. If you dint mind, whats your preferred 400 grit lapping compound?

I have a 700mm Taipan barrel showing up soon and would like to give it the full treatment.

Thanks.
  • Michigan Lapeer

Offline Motorhead

• Field Target Shooter .... Stand em up Shoot em down
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • 2019 Hall Of Fame Recipient
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2021, 02:16:06 PM »

I have a 700mm Taipan barrel showing up soon and would like to give it the full treatment.

Thanks.

I'll leave it that .... sorry  :-X
  • Northern California ... Old Hangtown
** Home of MOTORHEADS AG Tuning Services **
        ** PM me for further contact & tuning info.

Sacramento Valley Field Target Club
#https://sites.google.com/site/sacvalleyairgunclub/

Offline RDB

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2021, 03:36:07 PM »

Thanks.

No problem sir.
  • Michigan Lapeer

Offline SpiralGroove

• Ruminating Perfectionist !!!
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • >The gun's gotta look good and shoot straight ->
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2021, 04:15:35 PM »
While others have played and found successes doing it other ways, this ABOVE is what MOTORHEADS AG TUNING has done for years and it works !!   Results personally & professionally speak volumes.
Scott S
Yes Scott,
Thanks for sharing your "Barrel Lapping & Waxing" method with me back in 2016 8).
  • Bothell, WA
PCP's:
BSA R10 (.177) Regulated
AR2079A-HPA (.177)
AR2079A-HPA (.22)
QB79-HPA (.22)
RAW HM1000x LRT Camo - (.22)

Pumper's:
1973 Benjamin Franklin 342
1984 Benjamin Franklin 347

Springer's:
Beeman R9   (.20) - Circa 2019
Beeman R10 (.20) - Circa 1988
HW30S (.177)
HW35E (2) (.177)
HW35E (.177) Nickel
HW50S (.177)
HW50S Nickel (.177)
HW80 (.20)
HW95 Hybrid (.177)

Offline Mole2017

• Squirrel Researcher
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2021, 05:52:21 PM »

Thanks.

Thanks for sharing as much as you have already! You guys are giving me more ideas of what to do with time I don't have  :P

I have seen Renaissance wax mentioned a few times and thought I'd chime in on too. The clock guys love the stuff as a pure hard wax with a simple solvent to make application possible. Some will use it instead of lacquer on polished brass, which is why I bought it. Carnauba wax is a hard biological wax (as opposed to a petroleum based wax like Renaissance); the different products out there using it will do so to different proportions to solvents and other waxes to make their blend. (Scott named his favorite above.)

Reading elsewhere about waxes on the outside of guns was almost a draw--everyone had a favorite, but those that got technical came back to carnauba and Renaissance frequently.

For what it is worth, carnauba wax gives a shinier finish than Renaissance.  Cost was also brought up--Renaissance isn't cheap, but it is comparable to a couple ounces of JB bore cleaner from what I see. (And that little 65 gram can will last quite a while too.)
  • Pendleton, SC
Gamo CFX .177 and .22, old style triggers
BSA R10 MK2 .177
Crosman 1377

Offline 45WLA

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2021, 06:51:19 PM »
Interesting. Some good info in this thread, thanks guys.
  • USA, TX, Spring

Offline Cableaddict

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2021, 07:28:27 PM »

Thanks.

Thanks for sharing as much as you have already! You guys are giving me more ideas of what to do with time I don't have  :P

I have seen Renaissance wax mentioned a few times and thought I'd chime in on too. The clock guys love the stuff as a pure hard wax with a simple solvent to make application possible. Some will use it instead of lacquer on polished brass, which is why I bought it. Carnauba wax is a hard biological wax (as opposed to a petroleum based wax like Renaissance); the different products out there using it will do so to different proportions to solvents and other waxes to make their blend. (Scott named his favorite above.)

Reading elsewhere about waxes on the outside of guns was almost a draw--everyone had a favorite, but those that got technical came back to carnauba and Renaissance frequently.

For what it is worth, carnauba wax gives a shinier finish than Renaissance.  Cost was also brought up--Renaissance isn't cheap, but it is comparable to a couple ounces of JB bore cleaner from what I see. (And that little 65 gram can will last quite a while too.)

Yes, thanks, Scott.  Extremely helpful.

----------------

I Gotta' mention again that most waxes are a blend of some kind. I'm  a woodworker, and use Ren wax all the time, as it looks great,  but it's not as hard & durable as some others, like a bowling alley wax I have.     

I also thought maybe paraffin would be good to try, but apparently it's less hard & durable than Carnuba.  (And can even flake off.)

Although I'm STILL not sure I want to try wax as opposed to my "tried & true"  teflon spray,  if I do try wax it will likely be those 100% carnuba pellets. No other wax or blend is as hard nor as durable, even if they work well for this application.

As Scott mentioned, I'd use some distillate that evaporates off,  like xylene.  Or maybe just heat it up in a double boiler.  Pure Carnuba melts at 185 degrees.   Come to think on it, maybe also heat up the barrel with a hair dryer first, to really open up those pores.  Then apply the hot, melted pure Carnuba.
  • USA, NY, Suffern

Offline RDB

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2021, 08:31:40 PM »
Think of waxing as a way of eliminating fouling shots after you have cleaned your barrels with your favorite regimen. As Jasons targets shown.....no fouling shots needed. Right where it was supposed to be.

If it takes a dozen or more shots before the gun starts producing groups and settling down. Waxing may be worth the time.
  • Michigan Lapeer

Offline brewbear

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2021, 12:58:57 AM »
First and foremost, THAN YOU Scott @Motorhead for sharing your methods. Now a question for all of you folks: is there a consensus on a wax brand that works best for this process? I tried to buy Trewax but it is not being sold in California!
  • USA, CA, Shadow Hills

Offline RDB

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2021, 01:16:46 AM »
Well, ive used Johnson's paste wax for years on my table saws and guns. Even used it as cast boolit lube for the 45-70. Seems to work fine in my air rifle barrels.
  • Michigan Lapeer

Offline mrbulk

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Little things affect little minds” - Thoreau
« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2021, 02:07:39 AM »

Hunter
The carrier that liquefies the wax allowing application QUICKLY evaporates.  ZERO chance of dieseling IMO.

Being the individual who presented BORE WAXING to the air gun community unintentionally a few years ago. ( as a tuner had been doing so for many years ) it's process came to public knowledge after years of tidbit parts and pieces of the process finally culminated as a W T F is the process and the why for ??? being shared with a few others who matter of fact asked.  Had no problem with it being shared, tho was not going to state such info openly.

There are some KEY aspects of whats required and here is list as i feel is priority.

PROVEN barrel that is by in large accurate.
LAPPING of bore being in many instances more aggressive than JB paste offers.
Best finish provided by @ 400 grit lap compounds and NOT high polished !
Leade & Crown + transfer path ( PCP's ) correctly done.

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN bore after said work ... I'm talking near surgical clean !!  *Personally use NAPTHA making sure Zero oils or solvents used previous are on bore surface or within the microscopic fretting of bore surface.

LIBERAL Tre-wax on a patch using a round jag tip & hard / coated cleaning rod having patch a SNUG FIT TO BORE
Back & forth strokes from either end ... Mop the bore wet with wax !!!
* What we're doing is burnishing the wax INTO the microscopic frets in the bores surface filling the microscopic voids pellet lead gets into and sticks on.

LET DRY for a 1/2 hour min in warm weather.  longer is actually better.  We want wax to harden !
Wipe excess wax off crown and leade / transfer areas.
NO NEED TO PUT A DRY PATCH DOWN BORE ..... Shoot a few pellets and any excess wax in the bore instantly removed !!

Scott S
  • Las Vegas, NV, USA
Remember that none of this will matter in a hundred years. Have fun now.

Offline JimD

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2021, 02:52:42 PM »
Thanks guys.  It's a rainy nasty day in SC.  I think I will go clean and wax my Prod, maybe my Avenger too.  I have Johnson's on hand for my table saw so I will use that and I think I'll use brake cleaner before waxing.  These are likely not optimum but seem like the closest I have without a trip to the store.  Better than watching TV...
  • USA, South Carolina, Lexington
Benjamin Marauder Pistol (Prod) tuned to 16-20 fpe
Sheridan Blue Streak, stock, about 14 fpe
Crosman 1377 shot as carbine and not modified about 5fpe
Air Venturi Avenger 25, current tune is 45-50 ft lbs

Offline elguapo99

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2021, 03:59:59 PM »
Non-chlorinated brake cleaner and Johnson's paste wax is exactly what I used. The guns seem to shoot smoother and quieter. The accuracy was spot on with the first pellet. It worked so well that I have now waxed all eight of my airgun barrels.
  • Loudon, TN
Crosman 2100 Classic .177 Tuned
Crosman Storm XT .177 Tuned
Walther LGU Varmint .22 Tuned
Air Venturi Avenger .22
Hatsan AT44S-10QE .22
Kral Puncher Breaker Silent Marine .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol (PRod) .22 Huma Reg'd
SPA PP700S-A .22 & .177 barrels
Yong Heng Compressor
(3) 30 min. SCBA Tanks
You can tune an airgun but you can't tune-a-fish.