PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles

Author Topic: Looking for PFT options  (Read 1716 times))

Offline d.lead.slinger

• N.U.A.H. - Expert
  • Plinker
  • yes
Looking for PFT options
« on: November 13, 2018, 10:33:21 AM »
Since the club I shoot at will now hold a PFT match after the normal field target match, I will be needing another pellet slinger.
Looks like the readily available choice would be a 1720T but I like to run against the grain a little, so I am looking at other options.  It seems the pistols that fit the requirements are not plentiful, and the ones I have found are quite expensive. After a little research, I am now thinking of cutting down a rifle to make it fit into the AAFTA requirements.
I would like to shoot the entire match without a refill so thinking of something with a bottle... Maybe a Gauntlet if I could make it fit the length requirements. Also, I wouldn't feel so bad about cutting one of those up.
Anyone have a measurement from the end of the bottle to the back of the action? Current rules say the gun cannot be longer than 25".
  • Louisiana
Happiest when squeezing a trigger!

.25 Taipan Veteran
.22 Custom Mrod
.22 Gamo Urban
.177 Beeman P17
.177 PP700S-A
.177 Ruger Blackhawk Elite
.177 JSAR Raptor

Offline Scotchmo

• GTA Senior Contributor
Re: Looking for PFT options
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 02:03:55 PM »
Its 22 to the back of the action. If you cut the buttstock off and leave the grip, it will still be under 25. A 15 barrel will be about 1 short of the end of the tank. Looks a little funny but its legal.
  • Los Osos, California

Offline Motorhead

• Field Target Shooter .... Stand em up Shoot em down
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • 2019 Hall Of Fame Recipient
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 03:40:02 PM »
I shot a cut down BSA Scorpion in 2018 and it came in just under 25"
Shoots great !!  while making over 70 shots on a fill at @ 12 FPE
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 03:48:12 PM by Motorhead »
  • Northern California ... Old Hangtown
** Home of MOTORHEADS AG Tuning Services **
        ** PM me for further contact & tuning info.

Sacramento Valley Field Target Club
#https://sites.google.com/site/sacvalleyairgunclub/

Offline d.lead.slinger

• N.U.A.H. - Expert
  • Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 04:29:16 PM »
Looks like I will be cutting down a rifle for PFT... WHOHOOO.. Come on black Friday!! ;D
Its 22 to the back of the action. If you cut the buttstock off and leave the grip, it will still be under 25. A 15 barrel will be about 1 short of the end of the tank. Looks a little funny but its legal.
Thanks for the info! I assume it is a hollow stock so I would probably have to make some grips for it... Definitely not going to be a pretty gun
Quote from: Motorhead
link=topic=150706.msg1540151#msg1540151 date=1542224402
I shot a cut down BSA Scorpion in 2018 and it came in just under 25"
Shoots great !!  while making over 70 shots on a fill at @ 12 FPE
Awsome... Another option!
  • Louisiana
Happiest when squeezing a trigger!

.25 Taipan Veteran
.22 Custom Mrod
.22 Gamo Urban
.177 Beeman P17
.177 PP700S-A
.177 Ruger Blackhawk Elite
.177 JSAR Raptor

Offline Scotchmo

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 07:34:28 PM »
Looks like I will be cutting down a rifle for PFT... WHOHOOO.. Come on black Friday!! ;D
Thanks for the info! I assume it is a hollow stock so I would probably have to make some grips for it... Definitely not going to be a pretty gun

On most hollow plastic stocks, the web between the grip and the butt extends down quite a bit. You can probably get away with simply cutting off the buttstock at 25" (24.9"?) from the front of the bottle. There might be a small opening/recess remaining in the bottom rear of the grip. Fill it with bondo and paint it black.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 07:51:54 PM by Scotchmo »
  • Los Osos, California