Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Ground Squirrels at a permission  (Read 555 times))

Offline only1harry

• One of the original 3 GTA Musketeers (per Gene Curtis)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! (come and get them)
Re: Ground Squirrels at a permission
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2021, 11:08:19 PM »
Holy cow Randall!!  Now that's the ultimate 3-day vacation - shooting GS's that are everywhere! 

Excellent shooting with your RAW!  You are not kidding about an epic pesting trip.  I would enjoy a pic of a nice pile of GS bodies lined up from your next trip ;D  I hope you get to go back often.

Harry
  • Hudson Valley, NY
Pro-tuned guns:

AF Condor .25 #1,  Condor .25 #2
Condor .22,  Marauder .25,  Disco .22 camo
RWS Diana 350 .22,  RWS Diana 48 .22,
RWS 34K .20 Premium #17 of 30 custom built by Diana
RWS Diana 36 .177  (Gene & Bob tuned)

Factory stock & home tuned:

Gauntlet .22,  Disco .22, Prod .22
RWS 350 .177,  RWS 5G .177
Hammerli 850 .22,  Crosman 2240KT
Remington NPSS .22, Umarex M&P 45
Crosman 66,  Crosman 760, Beeman P17
Crosman Air17,  Crosman 38T
Several other Umarex & Crosman CO2 pistols

Offline ranchibi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2021, 12:17:04 AM »
That sounds like a great time Randall! An airgun hunters paradise!!

Josh, thank you very very much kind sir! Yes....it was the best pesting day ever! LOL!
  • U.S. CA
JSAR Raptor .22 TJ slug barrel Discovery HD 5-20X50 SFIR FFP
RAW HM1000x LRT Chassis .22 Athlon Ares 2.5-15x50 FFP MOA APLR3 Gen2
Beeman P17
PRod Discovery HD 4-20x50 FFP SFIR

Offline ranchibi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2021, 12:21:23 AM »
Holy cow Randall!!  Now that's the ultimate 3-day vacation - shooting GS's that are everywhere! 

Excellent shooting with your RAW!  You are not kidding about an epic pesting trip.  I would enjoy a pic of a nice pile of GS bodies lined up from your next trip ;D  I hope you get to go back often.

Harry

Harry!!! Thank you so very much kind sir! It really was about an hour and a half each day! Oh man....I will try my best to get you a pile! LOL! They were a long way away and 14-18 degrees of decline. I will be going back in June hopefully! And, yes, the RAW did not disappoint! It was quiet enough that they didnít even blink when a shot went off!
  • U.S. CA
Beeman P17

Offline PeterC

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2021, 01:20:48 AM »
Blasting ground squirrels is good fun and you seem to have found some prime hunting areas.
Took the long drive up to N.E. California and shot GS last Tuesday at the Alturas Ranches. Once I figured out the wind, altitude and GS habits shot about 50 in two hours. If not for the 5.5 hour drive would go back again soon.

Peter! Thank you so much! I was up in Bear Valley! You did some major damage on them too, isn't it a blast, literally!?! Yeah....the wind wrecks havoc on pellets at distance even the 18gr but the slugs fair better in the wind. You can set your Impact up for .30...wind won't effect that cal very much especially with slugs! But you are right, once you figure the wind dope it gets a bit easier unless the wind is changing directions LOL! I don't usually shoot the 25gr .22 JSB which have a better BC than 18gr but they are too costly! More pricey than 17.5gr NSA, so I'd rather shoot those (which have a better BC anyway) and in fact just put an order in for more today! My drive was only 2.5 hours but we stayed there for 3 days. Hope you get out SOON! Safe passages!
Randall, I just converted my impact to .30 cal and used JSB 18 grain which is probably overkill for ground squirrels. You definitely know when you hit one from the loud "thud" sound. Shooting was often interrupted by hawks coming in for a free lunch sometimes as close as 20 yards.
  • Menlo Park, CA, USA
FX Impact .30
Slayer .357
Texan SS .45
Pulsar .22 HP

Offline Tater

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Insert creative saying here
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2021, 03:47:46 AM »
Randall, I just converted my impact to .30 cal and used JSB 18 grain which is probably overkill for ground squirrels. You definitely know when you hit one from the loud "thud" sound. Shooting was often interrupted by hawks coming in for a free lunch sometimes as close as 20 yards.
Typo on the 18 grain?  ;)
  • NW suburbs of Chicago
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .177, DonnyFL Sumo ldc
.22 Disco/Maximus mix, Rocker1 ldc
Gamo Hornet .177
1377, steel breech, TKO, 12" barrel, R. Arms Innovations AR stock

Offline Xraycer

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Black Guns Matter
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2021, 06:58:31 AM »
It could be those new disc design ammo  :o

;D
  • Southern NH, USA
Proud member of  F.U.G.L.Y.
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline JohnnyPDX

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2021, 08:33:51 AM »
So cool Randall! Nice to have targets, really nice guns, a comfortable place with no tweekers, a bathroom, drinks and food all in one package...

Half-Day Trips, $150
Full-Day Trips, $300
*meals included

She said... "I donít care if you break any windows or shoot anything because my horses get hurt from the holes the GS make and itís cheaper to fix those than my horses!" and that is soooooo true.

I HAD a GS permission, all the GS are dead by me and rattle snakes, and the holes were everywhere AND the badger would make the holes bigger. Knee surgery waiting to happen.

That trip is epic and congratulations on EARNING  a second permission. Maybe you'll get the whole Section then Township.

Offline JohnnyPDX

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2021, 08:37:51 AM »

I spoke to JohnnyPDX once about pesting with him and he volunteered to bring along not only his Hill EC-3000 compressor to keep our PCP guns running, but a generator to keep the his Hill running so we could go anywhere! :D
Mr. Charlie  L.V. (a.k.a Louis Vitton),

That offer still stands and I am thinking about driving to Southern Oregon K Falls area EVERY DAY.

Offline PeterC

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2021, 08:54:32 AM »
Yeah  :o  Should have typed 44 grain. Mixed it up with the .22.
  • Menlo Park, CA, USA
FX Impact .30
Slayer .357
Texan SS .45
Pulsar .22 HP

Offline JohnnyPDX

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2021, 08:59:26 AM »
Yeah  :o  Should have typed 44 grain. Mixed it up with the .22.

Peterc,

44 grain is not overkill IMHO and I would do the same if I could. They can really take a hard hit and disappear underground with a 25.4 gr at 900fps. I am thinking of tuning my Taipan .25 for the 34 grain.

Offline kbstingwing

• Rat Lobotomizer
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2021, 12:40:09 PM »
Woo Hoo, Randall, great Haul on the GS's and the Starlings, Happy to Hear you have a great Permission to go to, Keep it up.  ;)
  • USA, Kalifornia, Vista
Varmints Beware, you'll be "Lucky if I'm out of Air"
Beeman HW100 T FSB .20
Weihrauch HW 100 Bullpup .22
AGT Uragan Standard .25
AirForce Texan .45
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin Marauder Gen 2 .22 w/ LW barrel by JG
Umarex Gauntlet 500/4500 .25 Tactical Chassis gun Modded by Me... :)
Umarex Gauntlet 500/4500 .22 Tactical Chassis gun Modded by Me... :)
Hatsan Flashpup wood .25
Hatsan Flashpup synthetic .22
Hatsan Flash QE synthetic .25
Sheridan Blue streak .20 Steroided
Crosman 1377 Pistol .177
Crosman 1077 co2 .177
Crosman Phantom co2 pistol BB
Nardi USA Atlantic GAS 4500 Air compressor
GX CS2 4500 psi PCP compressor
ATN X-Sight 4k 3-14x w/ABL1000 & remote
ATN X-Sight ll 3-14x w/ABL1000
Bushido..............

Offline A.K.A. Tommy Boy

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Small Game Hunter
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2021, 12:50:28 PM »
Wow Randal...GOOD SHOOTING sir !
That's quite a hunt that you did.  What a nice way to spend quality time with friends.
I am glad that you could get out and do some longer range hunting with your fine assortment of PCP rifles.

Best Wishes - Tom
  • The North Woods
25 cal. Hatsan 125TH Magnum (Spring)
22 cal. Walther Talon Magnum (Spring)
22 cal. Crosman Summit Ranger NP2 (Gas)
22 cal. Hatsan Edge Vortex (Gas)
117 cal. Hatsan Striker Vortex (Gas)
117 cal. Umarex NXG APX (Multi-Pump)

Offline Rico14

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2021, 04:33:44 PM »
Great story!  But what about the ground squirrel?  I've seen ground beef, ground pork, ground lamb, and even ground turkey but never ground squirrel. ;D

Carter! Thank you very much kind sir! LOL....was told to NEVER eat them....I think it might have been you! LOL!  ;D

Congrats on a great trip and having access to a target rich environment. Not only should you not eat ground squirrels but you should avoid any contact with them. California ground squirrels are known to have fleas that carry bubonic plague. Anyone shooting ground squirrels should check for this problem where they shoot.  Luckily, the foreman at the ranch I shoot them at allows me to just leave them where I shoot them. I give myself plenty of distance. I don't even get close enough to take pictures.
  • California

Offline ranchibi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2021, 04:38:23 PM »
Blasting ground squirrels is good fun and you seem to have found some prime hunting areas.
Took the long drive up to N.E. California and shot GS last Tuesday at the Alturas Ranches. Once I figured out the wind, altitude and GS habits shot about 50 in two hours. If not for the 5.5 hour drive would go back again soon.

Peter! Thank you so much! I was up in Bear Valley! You did some major damage on them too, isn't it a blast, literally!?! Yeah....the wind wrecks havoc on pellets at distance even the 18gr but the slugs fair better in the wind. You can set your Impact up for .30...wind won't effect that cal very much especially with slugs! But you are right, once you figure the wind dope it gets a bit easier unless the wind is changing directions LOL! I don't usually shoot the 25gr .22 JSB which have a better BC than 18gr but they are too costly! More pricey than 17.5gr NSA, so I'd rather shoot those (which have a better BC anyway) and in fact just put an order in for more today! My drive was only 2.5 hours but we stayed there for 3 days. Hope you get out SOON! Safe passages!

Peter, .30 is not overkill especially with wind! LOL! At my friends place when the redtail hawks hear his PCP go off....they come in and sometimes grab the starlings as they fall! Glad you nailed some in .30!
  • U.S. CA
Beeman P17

Offline ranchibi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2021, 04:39:10 PM »
It could be those new disc design ammo  :o

;D

SPLAT! LOL!
  • U.S. CA
Beeman P17

Offline ranchibi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2021, 04:48:07 PM »
So cool Randall! Nice to have targets, really nice guns, a comfortable place with no tweekers, a bathroom, drinks and food all in one package...

Half-Day Trips, $150
Full-Day Trips, $300
*meals included

She said... "I donít care if you break any windows or shoot anything because my horses get hurt from the holes the GS make and itís cheaper to fix those than my horses!" and that is soooooo true.

I HAD a GS permission, all the GS are dead by me and rattle snakes, and the holes were everywhere AND the badger would make the holes bigger. Knee surgery waiting to happen.

That trip is epic and congratulations on EARNING  a second permission. Maybe you'll get the whole Section then Township.

Johnny!!! Thank you so very much my friend! Yeah, it was a great 3 hours of gallery shooting especially on the second day! What she said made us smile as we could feel her anger toward the GS's. True about the knee surgery holes....my friends home has very slanted yards and the GS's and gophers make knee surgery holes also, very dangerous! And, we will be returning, my friend is only 1/2 hour away....I'm 2.5 hours away! You should see the valley they live in....it's littered with GS's, starlings, deer, elk, bobcats, cougars, bear, ravens, yotes....LOL! No badgers though....wish they had ghogs!
  • U.S. CA
Beeman P17

Offline ranchibi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2021, 04:50:30 PM »
Woo Hoo, Randall, great Haul on the GS's and the Starlings, Happy to Hear you have a great Permission to go to, Keep it up.  ;)

Kevin!!! Thank you kind sir! It was the best 2 days of my pesting hobby EVER! And, I do hope to return in June.
  • U.S. CA
Beeman P17

Offline ranchibi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2021, 04:54:35 PM »
Wow Randal...GOOD SHOOTING sir !
That's quite a hunt that you did.  What a nice way to spend quality time with friends.
I am glad that you could get out and do some longer range hunting with your fine assortment of PCP rifles.

Best Wishes - Tom

Tom!!! Thank you so much kind sir! That means a lot to me coming from a true seasoned hunter as yourself! Our wives are very close friends too which makes it even more special! I do long range tuna fishing with him, we room together on the boat for 8 days, we get along really well. The PCP's make shooting so easy, it's like a video game! I could imagine you shooting these with a PCP...I'd bet no misses!
  • U.S. CA
Beeman P17

Offline ranchibi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2021, 04:57:43 PM »
Great story!  But what about the ground squirrel?  I've seen ground beef, ground pork, ground lamb, and even ground turkey but never ground squirrel. ;D

Carter! Thank you very much kind sir! LOL....was told to NEVER eat them....I think it might have been you! LOL!  ;D

Congrats on a great trip and having access to a target rich environment. Not only should you not eat ground squirrels but you should avoid any contact with them. California ground squirrels are known to have fleas that carry bubonic plague. Anyone shooting ground squirrels should check for this problem where they shoot.  Luckily, the foreman at the ranch I shoot them at allows me to just leave them where I shoot them. I give myself plenty of distance. I don't even get close enough to take pictures.

Rico! Thank you very very much! Like you said, we do not pick them up, move them or get too close! I used the zoom on my phone to take pics! LOL! We knew the other critters would have a field day with the 2 buffets! You are lucky to have a great permission like that! Stay safe!
  • U.S. CA
Beeman P17

Offline mrbulk

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Little things affect little mindsĒ - Thoreau
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2021, 11:52:15 PM »

I spoke to JohnnyPDX once about pesting with him and he volunteered to bring along not only his Hill EC-3000 compressor to keep our PCP guns running, but a generator to keep the his Hill running so we could go anywhere! :D
Mr. Charlie  L.V. (a.k.a Louis Vitton),

That offer still stands and I am thinking about driving to Southern Oregon K Falls area EVERY DAY.

So noted and deeply appreciated kind sir. *salute* I just have several physical things to take care of first. ;)
  • Las Vegas, NV, USA
Remember that none of this will matter in a hundred years. Have fun now.