Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Weihrauch air rifles, are they that good?  (Read 5243 times))

Offline Struckat

• Sharp Shooter
  • The red dog is always watching
Re: Weihrauch air rifles, are they that good?
« Reply #120 on: May 04, 2021, 07:55:55 PM »
I went from a box store gun that I still feel is un shootable, to a HW95. That indeed was a huge difference. But by the time I had two tins through it I could no longer stand the spring buzz and jump.

I installed a Vortek PG3 and wow! It was almost as big a difference as going from the box store gun to a HW. Being new to springers, it still jumped more than I could control, so I started  clipping coils. The first two didn’t really make any noticeable difference, but the third was the ticket (still over 15fpe). It was so much smoother than my HW30, I had to put a kit in that one too.

Based on my limited experience, I now know what I like and dislike, I will not own an un tampered with springer again.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 08:03:59 PM by Struckat »
  • In the basement, Illinois
1377, 1986

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2021, 09:17:32 PM »
I went from a box store gun that I still feel is un shootable, to a HW95. That indeed was a huge difference. But by the time I had two tins through it I could no longer stand the spring buzz and jump.

I installed a Vortek PG3 and wow! It was almost as big a difference as going from the box store gun to a HW. Being new to springers, it still jumped more than I could control, so I started  clipping coils. The first two didn’t really make any noticeable difference, but the third was the ticket (still over 15fpe). It was so much smoother than my HW30, I had to put a kit in that one too.

Based on my limited experience, I now know what I like and dislike, I will not own an un tampered with springer again.
what was the power levels with the uncut Vortek spring? Did you change the piston seal?
  • USA,  NY
Hw30- .177- Vortek PG2, Williams peep sights
Hw30 Laminate- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke Airmax 2-7x32 AO. 
Hw50- .177- Vortek PG3, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
Hw50- .22 - Vortek PG2, Williams peep sights
Hw95- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40
Hw97SE (Green 77 Laminate stock)-.177 Vortek PG3, Hawke 4-12x40 Airmax
P1- 0.20 now .177

Offline ER00z

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2021, 10:32:58 PM »
Depending on how springers are held/rested when shot makes a difference in how they react, I've found. I've been practicing with bench/table shooting. I've read many posts on holds and types of rests, and trying all but rice bags and "the roller rest". The best for me so far (from bench) is to use a extra large sock filled with plastic airsoft bb's on top of a foam shooting block.  It allows better front-back movement than the up-down of muzzle flip. It really tightened up my groups when benched. Otherwise I do best off hand standing. 
  • USA, NY, Wolcott

Offline Struckat

• Sharp Shooter
  • The red dog is always watching
« Reply #123 on: May 04, 2021, 10:50:11 PM »
Ron, as a 177 out of the box was running 7.9s @ 920
The PG3 with factory seal came in @910

I clipped 1 coil at a time and tested. Didn’t really lose anything till the 3rd coil. At that point the 7.9s were in 880 range, 13.6 fpe.

That was with a little more than two tins through it. Then I converted to 22. Running 14.3s @ 660-670
After another 2,000 shots the seal failed.
Now with a new factory seal, cleaned and krytoxed, I am pushing the 14.3s @ 695 and the 14.66s @ 680, with the same clipped spring.

Yes I should have replaced the seal right away, but it looked fine and I wanted to see how long it would last. It was going down longer than I realized.
Now the shot cycle is really smooth and the slight knock I have always heard is gone.
  • In the basement, Illinois
1377, 1986

Offline Ilimakko

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #124 on: May 06, 2021, 05:48:08 PM »
In my experience, a Weihrauch HW95L will be twangy even after 1000 pellets downrange. Much twangier than the Dianas I have shot (and the LGV, but that's not a fair comparison). A much bigger issue is that loads of people have reported how their .22 cal Weihrauchs aren't really all that accurate, and sadly, I must concur. My LGV .22 cal shoots rings around the HW95, and my D48 .22 cal in the middle of break-in, pellet picking and holds-learning equals the HW.

I also don't care for the fact that my HW95 (and others') doesn't even clear the basic 200 m/s barrier with Exacts, and doesn't shoot close to the manufacturer's claim with other accurate pellets. Sure, many companies lie, but Dianas shoot what the promotional materials say, as do Walthers, while I hear FWB's exceeds their claims. So, no points for HW.

I hate dismantling the HW95. Just removing the barrel is a chore compared to Dianas and Walthers. Nced wrote a very helpful two-page essay on the subject (thanks). Dianas are simpler and quicker to maintain. IME, only Walther does this right, with identical, unstrippable hex screws for all the bigger parts, and ultra-simple breakdown further down the line.

Weihrauch mainsprings cost almost double what Diana charges on theirs, while both are equally short-lived. Weihrauch piston seals are three times as costly as Diana ones. So, a Weihrauch ends up an expensive one to upkeep.

Weihrauchs also have the worst automatic safety I've experienced. Metallic loud AND awkwardly positioned. Diana and Walther safeties are much better, the latter also resettable, which is a boon to a field shooter.

Weihrauchs have superb triggers and they look and feel really nice. Otherwise, I don't think they are that good, as field guns. Small calibers for paper punching may be a different story.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 05:51:28 PM by Ilimakko »
LGV Master Ultra .22 cal
HW95L .22 cal
D48 .22 cal
350 Mag .25 cal
H135 .25 cal
WFH .22 cal
Fenix 400 .22 cal
G1250 .22 cal
D25 .177 cal
BSF S54 Match .177 cal
E-C2 5.4 mm
FX T12 .22 cal

Offline ER00z

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #125 on: May 06, 2021, 05:56:37 PM »
And I was looking at a HW77 laminated "special edition " for Mrs. R, but it was in .22. Maybe she will get a HW30.  Have the people with .22's that have accuracy issues tried H&N FTT 5.55's?
  • USA, NY, Wolcott

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #126 on: May 06, 2021, 06:33:02 PM »
And I was looking at a HW77 laminated "special edition " for Mrs. R, but it was in .22. Maybe she will get a HW30.  Have the people with .22's that have accuracy issues tried H&N FTT 5.55's?
I just bought my girlfriend a Hw30 for shooting at our local 25 yard range. She likes the weight and the light cocking effort because she sometimes enjoys offhand shooting. The 77 (97) is big heavy gun that is stiff cocking and a handful for most men. My 97 laminate with scope is 11 lbs. When I bench shoot off my elbows I get fatigued and tired of cocking it after an hour. Sometimes less, and I'm 6'4" 250. 
  • USA,  NY
P1- 0.20 now .177

Online SpiralGroove

• Ruminating Perfectionist !!!
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • >The gun's gotta look good and shoot straight ->
« Reply #127 on: May 06, 2021, 06:44:56 PM »
I was looking at a HW77 laminated "special edition " for Mrs. R, but it was in .22.
Maybe she will get a HW30.
Yeah ER,
As Bayman said, while the HW77 laminate is a beautiful gun - it's heavy and cumbersome to shoot.
Get the Mrs. a HW30S/HW50S in .177.
  • Bothell, WA
PCP's:
BSA R10 (.177) Regulated
AR2079A-HPA (.177)
AR2079A-HPA (.22)
QB79-HPA (.22)
RAW HM1000x LRT Camo - (.22)

Pumper's:
1973 Benjamin Franklin 342
1984 Benjamin Franklin 347

Springer's:
Beeman R9   (.20) - Circa 2019
Beeman R10 (.20) - Circa 1988
HW30S (.177)
HW35E (2) (.177)
HW35E (.177) Nickel
HW50S (.177)
HW50S Nickel (.177)
HW80 (.20)
HW95 Hybrid (.177)

Offline ER00z

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #128 on: May 06, 2021, 06:59:20 PM »
Thanks for the input. Mrs. R. Is fairly strong, but wasn't thinking of cocking effort. That's a good point to look at. I figured the weight would help for shooting from the bench, and... I would like to have a HW77 in the house  :D

I'm lining things up to buy a HW97k, figured it would be nice for her to join me. She's a good shot, but I try not to make a big deal about it. Yet, she doesn't have any airguns of her own, wanted to give her something special. I will look at the HW30 and HW50, either would also be nice.
  • USA, NY, Wolcott

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #129 on: May 06, 2021, 07:25:17 PM »
Thanks for the input. Mrs. R. Is fairly strong, but wasn't thinking of cocking effort. That's a good point to look at. I figured the weight would help for shooting from the bench, and... I would like to have a HW77 in the house  :D

I'm lining things up to buy a HW97k, figured it would be nice for her to join me. She's a good shot, but I try not to make a big deal about it. Yet, she doesn't have any airguns of her own, wanted to give her something special. I will look at the HW30 and HW50, either would also be nice.
My girlfriend is a fit 5'9" and runs 5ks 3 - 5 times a week. That in mind I was going to blind side her with a new Hw50. Luckily I let her try them first. She could cock the Hw50 but it wasn't something she wanted to do for our normal shooting sessions. Her exact words were "No, I can't do this and enjoy shooting for long." Have you tried cocking a 50 yourself?
  • USA,  NY
P1- 0.20 now .177

Offline ER00z

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #130 on: May 06, 2021, 08:00:50 PM »
Haven't tried any HW's yet. Figured we could each get a toy, something to last a long while...

I want to thank you. This was going to be written different, not mean or anything, but you do have expirence whare I don't. I'm still stuck in powder burner mindset. Generally, when someone is new or smaller, I give them a heavy gun and set them up at a bench with milder ammo. I would never give them my (really) light 30-06, they'd never want to shoot again. So I figured, give her a heavy, yet mild (FPE) springer, and set her up at a bench. Lol

So, thank you. I will take your consideration seriously.
  • USA, NY, Wolcott

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2021, 08:58:16 PM »
Haven't tried any HW's yet. Figured we could each get a toy, something to last a long while...

I want to thank you. This was going to be written different, not mean or anything, but you do have expirence whare I don't. I'm still stuck in powder burner mindset. Generally, when someone is new or smaller, I give them a heavy gun and set them up at a bench with milder ammo. I would never give them my (really) light 30-06, they'd never want to shoot again. So I figured, give her a heavy, yet mild (FPE) springer, and set her up at a bench. Lol

So, thank you. I will take your consideration seriously.

My pleasure. Thank you for listening. Fwiw, Gwen my girlfriend shot powder burners before we met that would make me wince. Pre ammo shortage we'd shoot for hours. Usually at 100yds for center fire and 50 for rimfires. Here's a picture of her with her 20 Guage at the start of the covid craziness and another one of her with a 223 Varmint rifle I got her for Christmas. She regularly shoots sub MOA groups with it and has often shot quarter MOA groups at hundred yards. She's really a better shooter than I am. Here's a picture of her shooting a 50BMG so recoil doesn't bother her but the idea of cocking the 50 for hours does. Trust me I won't steer you wrong. We need their support ;)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 09:42:44 PM by Bayman »
  • USA,  NY
P1- 0.20 now .177

Offline Leo 2018

• Old timer
  • Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #132 on: May 07, 2021, 01:01:34 AM »
I can't answer your question yet but i have bought a hw 97k .22 cal which i haven't had out yet (wife hasn't been informed yet) 5 months old here. I just bought a hw80 lrh .177 that will be here in a week. I also have to hide it for awhile. I have pcp, pumper, springers old and new. Soon they will work their way into public so damm i hope they are worth it.
  • USA, KS, Larned
NRA life member
Fort Larned Arms gun club life member
Yong Heng Compressor
Chinese under lever B 3?
Original daisy 104 bb gun with Metal scope

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #133 on: May 07, 2021, 01:18:52 AM »
I can't answer your question yet but i have bought a hw 97k .22 cal which i haven't had out yet (wife hasn't been informed yet) 5 months old here. I just bought a hw80 lrh .177 that will be here in a week. I also have to hide it for awhile. I have pcp, pumper, springers old and new. Soon they will work their way into public so damm i hope they are worth it.
They're both good guns. The 97 should shoot very nicely in 22. The 80 is a big gun and is a little better suited for bigger calibers like 20 and 22. You should really enjoy the overall quality and accuracy. Better start working out though because they are both very heavy guns with fairly stiff cocking.
Good luck and enjoy.
  • USA,  NY
P1- 0.20 now .177

Offline egd

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2021, 09:55:21 AM »
Leo, if you have that many guns will she really notice one more?
Maybe put a piece of tape on the side with a bunch of markings so she'll think it's something you have shot many times already.
  • USA, AR, Little Rock

Offline airgunbuff

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2021, 12:17:54 PM »
They're both good guns. The 97 should shoot very nicely in 22. The 80 is a big gun and is a little better suited for bigger calibers like 20 and 22. You should really enjoy the overall quality and accuracy. Better start working out though because they are both very heavy guns with fairly stiff cocking.
Good luck and enjoy.

Wow Ron I am so confused you have stated that the HW95 does not have enough power for you in 22 but that 22 should be fine in 97 !! pretty much same powerplant except one is a barrel cocker and the other an underlever....
Man drink some more coffee or eat another dounut !!  Not ragging on ya bro Buttttt
you know cone on man....
kindly
ron
  • usa, florida,

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2021, 03:19:04 PM »
Good luck and enjoy.

Wow Ron I am so confused you have stated that the HW95 does not have enough power for you in 22 but that 22 should be fine in 97 !! pretty much same powerplant except one is a barrel cocker and the other an underlever....
Man drink some more coffee or eat another dounut !!  Not ragging on ya bro Buttttt
you know cone on man....
kindly
ron
Wow! Do you exist just to break my b@lls? Yes for my purposes 22 wouldn't be my preference for 95 (or a 97). My feelings are still the same. Yes the 97 and 95 make basically the same power BUT the guns don't generally serve the same purposes. The 97 is a very heavy gun that's usually used as a bench gun to shoot targets at fixed known distances. Trajectory isn't much of an issue here. You just dial in the scope for that distance and you're done. The 97 in 22 will have a nicer shot cycle than 177 and should be a very enjoyable gun to shoot. Hence my congratulatory compliment. My 97 is in 177 and have no regrets but that doesn't mean I can't be happy for the guy getting one in 22.

When the 95 is used in the same manner as the 97, 22 is absolutely fine by me. For the way I use the Hw95 and for my average abilities, 22 is not my preference. Here me LOUD AND FRIGGIN CLEAR what I normally say is."For me (or IMO) the Hw95 is marginally powerful enough for 22. This is because it's often used as a field gun for live targets at different distances. The 22 requires alot more holdover calculations so IMO the 177 caliber and 20 caliber are better choices. IMO the 22 is a heavy pellet that needs to be driven by a magnum powered rifle like an R1 to be flat enough for people of my average skill level to use for hunting. People like you, Mark and Si Pittway might be able to shoot toothpicks at various unknown ranges with a 10fpe 22 caliber mortar. The rest of us mear mortals are better served in the field with flatter shooting guns.

Listen my opinions are those of my own that have been formed by actual experience. I'm not a parrot, keyboard commando or a legend in my own mind. I'm a regular working guy that's very good with mechanical things, average at shooting, shoots very often and hunts occasionally. I try only to share my opinions within the context to the situation and can always explain my reasoning. I'm also humble enough to accept when I'm wrong and man enough to apologize for the times that I am.
Have a nice day
Ron
  • USA,  NY
P1- 0.20 now .177

Offline Cslinger

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2021, 03:39:31 PM »
. I'm still stuck in powder burner mindset.   

I am a “gun guy” a shooters shooter if you will.  So I have been where you are and I know how hard it is to be wired as a powder burner and have to sort of totally change gears. 

The best pieces of advice I can give you are.....

1-Think of airguns a bit like you would black powder shooters.  It is a similar, yet totally different offshoot of shooting. They both have completely different skills, tools, methodologies etc. vs standard modern firearm shooting.

2-As much as it KILLS YOU INSIDE :) don’t get hung up on power or caliber.  Ultimately it comes down to suiting your actual needs vs your perceived ones. Lower power is more fun GENERALLY.

3-You are a gun guy.  You likely have real guns. So as you find yourself thinking “I need at least .22 caliber and 1200fps etc. etc. take a breath and tell yourself what I tell myself.....”Wait a minute I have real guns for those kinda needs. :)

I find MOST shooters who wander into airguns really just want to be able to do some plinking easily at home or in the back yard, they just muddy those waters with firearms knowledge and wants and perceived needs. The reality is the vast number of folks will be tickled pink with an HW30 with its biggest “fault” being its a little short. 

Again you might have real hunting/pesting needs or wants and certainly fill those but if not try to check your powder burner guy at the door as hard as that is.  I speak from experience.  :)

Offline ER00z

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2021, 04:04:29 PM »
Cslinger, thanks for the advice. You make valid points.

Hey Now, I'm one week closer to owning a Weihrauch! I'm still set on getting a HW97K for myself. I love my Diana's, but some are (relatively)heavy hitters that take a bit of focus to maintain accuracy. Common sense would be to buy two HW30's for the price of one HW97, a his and hers, both easy to shoot. BUT...I love underlevers!

And in .177, not because of others experience or hearsay, but because I prefer more fpe in .22 for flatter shooting. My Diana's aren't quite there and the one's over 20fpe wear me out. I think The 13-14-ish fpe in .177 should balance velocity and cocking effort.

Hope everyone has a great day!
  • USA, NY, Wolcott

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2021, 04:22:48 PM »
Cslinger, thanks for the advice. You make valid points.

Hey Now, I'm one week closer to owning a Weihrauch! I'm still set on getting a HW97K for myself. I love my Diana's, but some are (relatively)heavy hitters that take a bit of focus to maintain accuracy. Common sense would be to buy two HW30's for the price of one HW97, a his and hers, both easy to shoot. BUT...I love underlevers!

And in .177, not because of others experience or hearsay, but because I prefer more fpe in .22 for flatter shooting. My Diana's aren't quite there and the one's over 20fpe wear me out. I think The 13-14-ish fpe in .177 should balance velocity and cocking effort.

Hope everyone has a great day!
FYI the 97k in 13-14 fpe isn't hard to cock but it's nothing to sneeze at.. It's considerably stiffer than a Hw95 at the same power. The 97k and 95 have the same springs but the 97k cocking arm is substantially shorter than the barrel of the 95. Krale has the new longer 97 with the longer barrel and cocking arm. If you plan on shooting for lengthy periods it may be worth considering. Plus you can get a good deal on the 97 and your wife's 30 and the shipping will be the same as ordering one gun.
  • USA,  NY
P1- 0.20 now .177