Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: New Lathe...  (Read 1069 times))

Offline Rob M

• GTA Senior Contributor
Re: New Lathe...
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2021, 09:34:27 PM »
that came out awesome !!
  • Louisiana

Offline sb327

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2021, 11:03:02 PM »
Very nice. It takes some work to get the ol neglected girls shining again.

Dave
  • USA, OK, Stigler
Dave

Offline scion19801

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2021, 01:05:35 AM »
You are not kidding there. Two day soak and a lot of elbow grease and scrubbing with oven cleaner to get it there. Light coat of oil back on the parts to prevent rust coming back with any luck. Now I just hope my collets clean up as nice as the 4 jaw did.
Got to find some small diameter mild steel to make my new hollow point pins from for the soon to be new 4 cavity mold. Gonna try to get them turned tomorrow with any luck. Should be able to get some rod at tractor supply or Lowe’s.
  • USA, NY, Ithaca
Umarex Gauntlet .25, Hawke vantage 3-12x44 sf, jsar super tune kit, adjustable flex regulator, .38l bottle, rocker1 LDC

Airforce Condor .25 cal, Custom LDC. .145" tophat, power wheel 10, 24-2500 psi fills. 3d printed bipod adapter. Nikko mountmaster 3-12x50AO

FX Impact MK2 700mm .25 cal, element helix 6-24x50, slug kit, both superior liners, slug A liner, carbon fiber barrel liners.

3d printing services as well. just send me an PM

Offline sb327

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2021, 08:35:34 AM »
Brass works too. Bolts/screws are a good source in a pinch.

Dave
  • USA, OK, Stigler
Dave

Offline scion19801

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2021, 08:03:50 PM »
yeah!!! made some chips today. now to dial things in a bit more. I only got one hp pin. cursory check of my measurements and everything seems to have a taper to it. then I realized I was locking my cross slide as I cut in/narrowed the steel to diameter. and that might be where my taper came from. I do have the taper attachment. I thought I had it zeroed out so as not to cut tapers. Oopss. beginnings of the pin are still salvageable, as they came in a touch oversize. yet the taper could be good as the HP end should be tapered/angled some to promote release.
had my south bend bog down a few times. still not sure what is causing it. its almost like is running out of power. headstock felt a little warm but nothing extreme. lower pulley shafts felt cool. motor was warmer than the headstock. oiled everything, so not sure just yet of the cause. let it set for a bit and it was back to normal.
running HSS cutters on cold rolled steel. not sure what the grade of the steel is.it just listed as plain cr steel. 3/8" diameter is what I've been playing with. seems to get good at times and crappy at others. could be the weird cutters I got from fleabay. they're 3/8 square pre-shaped HSS. set of 8. took a bit to figure out which one to use. LOL. tons to learn yet.
  • USA, NY, Ithaca
Umarex Gauntlet .25, Hawke vantage 3-12x44 sf, jsar super tune kit, adjustable flex regulator, .38l bottle, rocker1 LDC

Airforce Condor .25 cal, Custom LDC. .145" tophat, power wheel 10, 24-2500 psi fills. 3d printed bipod adapter. Nikko mountmaster 3-12x50AO

FX Impact MK2 700mm .25 cal, element helix 6-24x50, slug kit, both superior liners, slug A liner, carbon fiber barrel liners.

Offline scion19801

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2021, 12:07:42 PM »
got the collet set all cleaned up. does this look like anything is missing as far as attaching and using them in the lathe? looks like I have a headstock reducer/adapter as well for Morse taper #2.
  • USA, NY, Ithaca

Offline Rob M

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2021, 12:17:25 PM »
there should be a puller/drawbar  or cam device . that pulls the collet into the collet chuck.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264837285787?hash=item3da988479b:g:jQUAAOSwrF1fPJ6B

i think you have it ,but i dont see the collet chuck in your photos.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 12:20:06 PM by Rob M »
  • Louisiana

Offline scion19801

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2021, 04:40:18 PM »
I was thinking that the chuck was missing. Apparently the south bend doesn't need it and I have all the parts to use it. the draw bar is the wheel looking object in the upper right of the collet picture.
tightened my head stock belt, and things seem to be running better. Also had to adjust the level of my setup. I tried to make HP pins for my next mold and everything was tapered. I think I got it good to go now. I'm seeing .002" of runout at 16" from head stock while running and unsupported. dead center close to the headstock.
Had to go pick up my original Bob's Boat tail mold from the machine shop being decked shorter. That looks awesome and going to be casting some for testing tonight.
  • USA, NY, Ithaca

Offline Rob M

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2021, 05:24:39 PM »
I was thinking that the chuck was missing. Apparently the south bend doesn't need it and I have all the parts to use it. the draw bar is the wheel looking object in the upper right of the collet picture.
tightened my head stock belt, and things seem to be running better. Also had to adjust the level of my setup. I tried to make HP pins for my next mold and everything was tapered. I think I got it good to go now. I'm seeing .002" of runout at 16" from head stock while running and unsupported. dead center close to the headstock.
Had to go pick up my original Bob's Boat tail mold from the machine shop being decked shorter. That looks awesome and going to be casting some for testing tonight.

so the spindle taper is 5c ?? thats pretty awesome..
  • Louisiana

Offline scion19801

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2021, 05:40:13 PM »
not sure. I'm finding mixed info on the headstock.  once source that I found said the headstock according to notes I took was supposed to be a Morse taper #2. and has a max collet of 5/8" and a supposed through hole of 27/32". I tried the Dead center for my tailstock which is #2 and its too small to fit the headstock. then the two tapers I picked up the live center ejects with no issue due to an adjustable screw on the rear. I have to pull the tail stock shaft to get the dead center out and its a bit too short. my drill chuck pops out with no issue.
  • USA, NY, Ithaca

Offline fivestar45

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2021, 08:22:13 PM »
I don't think that the 10K uses 5C's as I believe the spindle bore is too small.
The spindle taper might be 4mt, for sure it is not anything smaller.
If you post to the South Bend lathe group I'm sure you will get all the answers you need.

Offline scion19801

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2021, 10:33:43 PM »
Ok, so it appears the headstock is mt3. The collets are 6k which are rare as hens teeth. There should be a pin in the spindle threads that is 1/8” in diameter to key the collets, but is usually snapped off on older machines. So no collet chuck needed and I seem to have all I need to use them. The pin that keys the collets will clear a normal mt3 center, but has a tendency to cause issues when trying to use the adapter to go down to a mt2 center.
  • USA, NY, Ithaca

Offline Rob M

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2021, 10:46:57 PM »
Ok, so it appears the headstock is mt3. The collets are 6k which are rare as hens teeth. There should be a pin in the spindle threads that is 1/8” in diameter to key the collets, but is usually snapped off on older machines. So no collet chuck needed and I seem to have all I need to use them. The pin that keys the collets will clear a normal mt3 center, but has a tendency to cause issues when trying to use the adapter to go down to a mt2 center.

pretty cool , never heard of them till now..
  • Louisiana

Offline scion19801

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2021, 10:22:42 AM »
new issue with lathe. seems like my headstock is going to have to be tore down and rebuilt. I tried to move up in rpm and is ran good for a few, then started to stall out. I could turn it my hand but it felt like it was binding up. I have oil flooded the bearings so that oiling shouldn't be an issue. thins occurred as I was attempting to turn hp pins using the collet system. Can the collet setup be too tight? so I loosened it and it still didn't want to turn it. I can rotate by hand no issue. then wondered if my belt could be too tight. Got to loosen it some and recheck. NO happy at present.
  • USA, NY, Ithaca

Offline fivestar45

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2021, 12:53:12 PM »
If your 10K is like the 10L (Heavy Ten) and other S/B's it will have felt oil wicks that lube the spindle through capillary action . If these are dried out from old age or use your spindle will not get lubed. If you post your issues here    https://groups.io/g/SouthBendLathe   you will most likely get plenty of replies along with sources for parts.

Yup, your lathe has the felt oilers. I'd advise you to not use the lathe until you fix the oiling issue, and check the bearing clearances as replacement bearings may be HARD to find.
https://www.amazon.com/South-Bend-Lathe-Rebuild-Kit/dp/B01K5253SG/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=south+bend+lathe+10K&qid=1620490031&sr=8-4

The spindle oilers are the ones that are inside the wound springs.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 01:13:55 PM by fivestar45 »

Offline scion19801

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2021, 04:43:21 PM »
I thought something inside where the gits oilers attach was missing, since the gits caps were not there. I have been flooding them and my brass units are holding oil in there. After more checking today. it my undermount drive belt to head stock that is slipping bad. it doesn't want to grip the headstock pulleys very well. so I have a new link belt coming to replace it.
I will get the spring wound wicks to get in place as well.
  • USA, NY, Ithaca

Offline scion19801

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2021, 07:27:33 PM »
was able to get my new link belt installed today. lathe is running great now. original ordered net was 5' long. and a few inches short. i mistakenly measured deep inside the pulley's and didn't account for actual running depth. had to order another 1 foot section. now its all together.
next is to still deal with a bit of twist some place in the system. smaller diameter cuts close to head stock and larger a few inches away.
  • USA, NY, Ithaca