Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Disco .177 Wild Boar hunt,..Videos, pics & story  (Read 16157 times - 1 votes) 
)

Offline Nomadic Pirate

• Hog Seeker
  • GTA Senior Contributor
Re: Disco .177 Wild Boar hunt,..Videos, pics & story
« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2019, 12:59:21 AM »
Cruel, unethical and stupid....OK  ;D ;D
  • North Shore Oahu Hawaii
Evanix REX Carbine         .357  180 FPE  #6.1
Evanix REX Mini-Carbine    .357  150 FPE  #6.5
Evanix REX Mini-Carbine II  .357  150 FPE  #5.1
Evanix RainStorm  II           .30  100 FPE  #9.5
Evanix RainStorm  II          .30   85  FPE  #9.3
Evanix Storm Bushgun      .30   70  FPE  #7.0
Evanix MAX-ML               .25   65  FPE  #10.6
Evanix RainStorm II          .25   55  FPE  #9.0
Evanix Storm II Model 70     .25   28  FPE  #9.9

Offline Sfttailrdr46

• Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Me at Devils Tower Wyoming 8-13-2000
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2019, 10:19:56 AM »
Cruel, unethical and stupid....OK  ;D ;D
Manny you spend way too many hours studying the terrain and your prey to be anything but ethical. Not sure the poster has seen pictures of your forest cleaned skulls that you have posted along with the thorough descriptions you have posted. That along with your honest evaluation of what is a good shot and what power the rifle you shoot delivers on target.  After 5+ years of watching your hunting videos and you passing on a shot that many would have taken because it was not the perfect shot. Then a few minutes later taking a shot that gets the job done. 8) 8)   

Now when you are cruising the local tourist hot spots I'm sure your shots have a different criteria  ;) ;D ;D
  • Long Island N.Y.
AA S510 Xtra Fac .177 RH Walnut For Sale
Rainstorm II .22 For Sale
FX Crown .25 w/600 mm Barrel
Gamo Whisper Fusion .177 For Sale
Gamo Swarm Maxxim .22 For Sale
Marauder GenII .30  Boyd's TH 100+ fpe For Sale
RWS D34 .22
RWS D460  .177  
PP700 SA ,22 PCP pistol W/Rocker1 LDC & Red Dot For Sale
CP2 .22 Pistol/Carbine
SPA Varmint .177
Freedom 8 & Guppy CF Tank & 45 min SCBA

Offline Mod90

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2019, 09:48:26 PM »
Amazing how some folks in this day and age still cling to the old disproven thoughts as gospel.
  • Trinidad and Tobago
Current guns:.177 BT65SB (aka Big sexy), .177 Bullboss  (aka The Meat Maker)

Offline shibumei

• To shoot or not to shoot. That is the question...
  • Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2019, 06:14:35 PM »
???

shibumei, the hog was a one shot kill. right into the brain pan, no more pain or suffering. it was flopping about due to the nervous system shutting down. Kinda like a chicken after you shoot it in the head. It was a single, well-placed shot that did not prolong suffering or need a follow up. I don't know how much more ethical it can get beyond that.

There's folks that take out raccoons that are roughly the same size, but I don't see anybody up in arms about it.

Been a long day? Stressed? Dunno if it's either one of them, but in my humble opinion it was a great shot that did not let the animal suffer.

How about a Snickers bar, my friend?  ;)

Would you feel the same if it was a single well placed shot with a Daisy 25 to a eagle?  That makes about as much sense!  I knew I would receive such responses.  It has nothing to do with stress or long days or needing a Snickers.  It has everything to do with childish stunts and ethical sportsmanship.  But if no one gets it, I guess I am the odd man out.  And as someone posted in this thread, "I don't belong here". 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 06:37:17 PM by shibumei »
  • USA, GA, Town of Forsyth

Offline Nomadic Pirate

• Hog Seeker
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2019, 07:30:31 PM »
???

shibumei, the hog was a one shot kill. right into the brain pan, no more pain or suffering. it was flopping about due to the nervous system shutting down. Kinda like a chicken after you shoot it in the head. It was a single, well-placed shot that did not prolong suffering or need a follow up. I don't know how much more ethical it can get beyond that.

There's folks that take out raccoons that are roughly the same size, but I don't see anybody up in arms about it.

Been a long day? Stressed? Dunno if it's either one of them, but in my humble opinion it was a great shot that did not let the animal suffer.

Would you feel the same if it was a single well placed shot with a Daisy 25 to a eagle?  That makes about as much sense!  I knew I would receive such responses.  It has nothing to do with stress or long days or needing a Snickers.  It has everything to do with childish stunts and ethical sportsmanship.  But if no one gets it,

Huuh ?  ??? ???

Offline Rocker1

• Executive Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Executive administrator
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2019, 07:36:10 PM »
Will tell you the last time sir stay out of the hunting gate, if it offends you their is a lot more to this forum than this gate. Stay out period, or better yet read mannys post for the last 10 years and perhaps you will understand.  David
  • Eustis Florida
1ST CAV,1971 VIETNAM 11 BUSHBABY LRRP
I MISS MY FRIEND GENE
OLD GUYS PLAYING WITH BB GUNS NEVER GROW UP
lots parts and pieces for something
disco 22 with the works
FX CROWN 22 AND 30 , 25 caliber
Rws 34 22
bsa Lonestar 25
Benji 392
22 liberty
Old Gamo extreme 22
Dar 25
Liberty 22
hotrod prod
Rocker1 tuning and custom works
davidjfurr@outlook.com

Offline Sfttailrdr46

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2019, 11:23:17 AM »
???

shibumi, the hog was a one shot kill. right into the brain pan, no more pain or suffering. it was flopping about due to the nervous system shutting down. Kinda like a chicken after you shoot it in the head. It was a single, well-placed shot that did not prolong suffering or need a follow up. I don't know how much more ethical it can get beyond that.

Would you feel the same if it was a single well placed shot with a Daisy 25 to a eagle?  That makes about as much sense!  I knew I would receive such responses.  It has nothing to do with stress or long days or needing a Snickers.  It has everything to do with childish stunts and ethical sportsmanship.  But if no one gets it,

Huuh ?  ??? ???
??? ???  shibumi Perhaps the issue here is your not understanding that there is a major difference between shooting a protected species and pest elimination. Furthermore Manny and others here on the forum that hunt pests donate the meat to the property owners or put that food on their own table. I will refrain from further comments after this post.

Please read and follow the forum rules that you agreed to and going forward please follow those rules
  • Long Island N.Y.
RWS D34 .22
RWS D460  .177  
CP2 .22 Pistol/Carbine
SPA Varmint .177

Offline VaporTrail

• E.D.F.
  • Expert
  • yes
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2019, 02:15:09 AM »
???

Would you feel the same if it was a single well placed shot with a Daisy 25 to a eagle?  That makes about as much sense!  I knew I would receive such responses.  It has nothing to do with stress or long days or needing a Snickers.  It has everything to do with childish stunts and ethical sportsmanship.  But if no one gets it, I guess I am the odd man out.  And as someone posted in this thread, "I don't belong here".

I didn't know what a Daisy 25 was, so I looked it up. 350 FPS with BBs, and BBs being in the 5.4gr range (and that's the heavier side), comes out to about 1.47FPE. So no, I wouldn't recommend that scenario; but it is that really a fair comparison? The Disco was shooting at 17FPE and the shot was taken within 20 yards; optimal range, if I may add my proverbial 2 cents. The Daisy putting out 1.47 FPE would not be suited to much more than small lizards and bugs; perhaps a tiny mouse at close (within 20 yards) range.

The snickers comment was not meant to stir ire or instigate; it was a simple attempt at soothing over things, but it appears you feel quite strongly about this, so I will refrain from humor.

A .177 putting out 17FPE is a very capable gun; the biggest benefit being the small diameter and speed of the .177 pellet. It has a smaller surface area, so even though the energy is lower, it still retains respectable penetration. The BB in your comparison is not nearly as powered up, so it would not be an effective round to take out an eagle.

I'm sure you know all of this already, though.

As for the childish stunts or ethical sportsmanship, I doubt that it has anything to do with that. Manny doesn't need me to defend him, but from what I've seen and read on his gate, he is quite the shot and he can do it on a consistent basis. The animal doesn't squirm around or try and get up to run away. Heck, there isn't even a squeal when he hits them; they drop right there and give up the ghost. Sometimes they'll flail for a little, but I'm pretty sure that's all just the nervous system slowly shutting down.

In keeping with that, would a 28FPE break barrel being used on a chicken be a better comparison? Surely a chicken that maybe weighs about 3 pounds would acceptable game for a .22 rifle, yes? If you answered yes, then I also pose the million dollar question:

How accurate are you?

I received a request to help a friend eliminate wild chickens from his plot of land. They were eating peppers early, putting holes in the papaya and scratching up new sprouts. He said I could keep all the chickens I shot and use them as food. Sounded like a great deal to me. I lined up a shot on a rooster and pulled the trigger. The shot went low and ended up hitting him in the leg, breaking his thigh bone. He ran/hopped off and I loaded up another shot and let it roll again. This one hit him in the back and he went down, but he didn't die; he just kinda flapped his wings and tried to get away. By this point I was so regretful and disappointed that I went up to him and promptly broke his neck.

So what is the reason for all that info? To illustrate that even if your rifle has more than enough energy to put down your quarry, if you can't produce the accuracy, you're better off not taking the shot. That, in my humble opinion is the worst transgression you can commit. Needless suffering due to your own shortcomings is not a nice pill to swallow and it's also one of the things that I'm toughest on myself with.

Since then, my Magnum has sat, unused. Going on about 2 months now. I have the piston seal that I will get around to replacing, but until then, she sits. She still has the energy, but due to questionable accuracy, I have elected to let her stay in the box until I get her properly sorted.

The quarry in question suffered no such ignominy. It was lights out as soon as the pellet dealt a fatal blow to the brain.

One shot, one kill. No squeals, no suffering. Like I stated earlier, I don't know how much more ethical you can get. Then again, different people, different opinions. You are free to have yours, my friend.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 02:22:51 AM by VaporTrail »
  • Guam, USA
Gamo Magnum IGT .22
Stock Bullboss .22
Bullboss .25 (sold)
Winchester 70-35 (Legendary Edition)
Piatt Sumatra 2500 Long .25
Rally Version BullBoss .22
Pitbull Bulldog Carbine
Duk IL Hunting Master 2 .22
Duk IL Hunting Master RS .22
Sumatra Carbine .25

Offline JimmyD.

• Plinker
  • yes
A classic airgun hunting video by Manny in Hawaii
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2020, 08:41:47 AM »
  I remember when you did this. As I sit here, February 16, 2020, things have changed a lot.

Iím not gonna get into everything except the abilities of the .177 when used as an Archer would hunt. A heavy .177 has enough penetration for that which a 28ftlb soft 18.13 may not. Iíve seen the 18.13ís ride a Groundhog skull under the skin at 32 yards. Angles mean a lot with air gun pellets and slugs. Weíve all heard of handgun rounds being deflected by a windshield so take it with a grain of salt.
  Manny knows what can & canít be done. This wasnít an advertisement for all to go out & try. If you donít like it stay out of Mannyís Corner. He hunts. I plink & shoot long range groups. Iíd Varmint hunt if I had time.

My State only allowed Varmints & Small Game when air was legalized. Most guys want big, heavy hitters.
  Iím after a .177 or .22 that does it all, within reason. And a perfectly placed shot from either is in fact a peaceful end. Iíve seen animals not even know theyíre hit. Just lay down to sleep and die. Literally turn 2-3 times bedding grass down, and go to sleep. No pain or kicking. A heart shot and blood pressure drop induces tiredness and sleep/death. Simple.

What I am going to point out is most airgun shooters still canít shoot much bigger than a .177 within their property.
  I myself live where one can legally shoot anything as long as a berm is used. I have up to 600 yards or more when crops are down. Iíve never shot any airgun past 450 yards. .22 RBT Griffin 28-32 grain slugs get out there quite easily. 200-300 yards is a better testing distance though, as I consider anything over 12í a lot of drop. 12í is, a lot; but very doable for plinking & fun. Youíll learn wind. Iíll tell you that much.
Most of my shooting is still .177 springers though I have a good 3.5cfm compressor and many PCPís

I need to trade some JSB 8.44ís for some 16.20ís. If the newest heavyweights, or ANY brand of .177 slug shoot as well as the JSB 13.43ís & 10.5ís, whoa Nelly, will we have a game changer. I have the Elite as low as I can go with this spring. A finely turned 12 L&G 17Ē LW that sends 10.5ís & 13.43ís through 2 tin cans at 30 yards. Straight through them, one evaporated milk can inside a Progresso soup can. 4 sides like nothing AND continued on to be stopped by a 4íx4í SS sheet.

I can only imagine what a .177 slug from a 23.75Ē barrel could do.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 09:24:48 AM by JimmyD. »
  • Saylorsburg, PA, USA

Offline Nomadic Pirate

• Hog Seeker
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2020, 10:17:01 PM »
When people want to argue the facts like this my question is :

Would a 800 FPE .50 cal have given a different result ?

If yes, how ?

Would have been better ?

How much better ?

.......I would like to hear the answers to those questions :) :) :)

Offline Mod90

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2020, 07:27:06 AM »
When people want to argue the facts like this my question is :

Would a 800 FPE .50 cal have given a different result ?

If yes, how ?

Would have been better ?

How much better ?

.......I would like to hear the answers to those questions :) :) :)

First, I'd like them to define "better"

Whether dead from a 15 grain .177 or 400 grain .50 cal, both shots going straight to the fusebox, at the same 20 yard range, dead is dead, & one caliber ain't likely to make the animal more deader than the other.
  • Trinidad and Tobago

Offline Sfttailrdr46

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2020, 11:26:01 AM »
The main difference would be the size of the entry wound. Beyond that as others have said dead is dead
  • Long Island N.Y.
RWS D34 .22
RWS D460  .177  
CP2 .22 Pistol/Carbine
SPA Varmint .177

Offline Blowpipe Sam

• An ignorant doofus with no business being called a
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Luddite and 21st century hunter gatherer
« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2020, 12:04:56 PM »
When I read this thread I can't help but think of big game hunters at the dawn of the nitro powder era, discussing which is more effective, a 4 bore or a 6.5 mm.  Same principles, different scale.  I agree with Manny and Karamojo Bell. Of course I'm not a good enough shot to hunt hogs with a .177 air rifle.  I'll stick to the thutty thutty fer hawgs.   ;D
  • Fire base Bert.  The last outpost on the Sopchoppy river.  Florida
My Battery
Hatsan Striker  .25
Hatsan Mod 125  .25
Hatsan Mod 125  .22
Ruger Impact Max .22
FDAR Xisico XS60c .22 
Crosman 1400 .22.  2nd model
Crosman 1400 .22.  1st. Model
Crosman 2240XL .22
Crosman 2100 .177
Crosman 1377 .177
Industry B-3 .177

Offline melvin

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2020, 03:52:34 PM »
I believe this was valuable. Dig it. Nice work Manny.
  • Washington

Offline Air Head

• I think I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure of that anymore.
  • Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2020, 04:20:36 PM »
In reality a poorly placed/rushed shot is unethical. A poorly placed 50 cal shot could find the animal running away with three legs, or grazed to die much later. No shot is certain, living targets move, get spooked etc.
If you hunt or shoot animals with something you know lacks the power of necessary penetration to hit vitals or extend the distance of any given air gun/firearm past it's effective range, that is unethical. 
  • Stalingrad, California USA
The best things in life are....
financially out of my reach...

Offline Mod90

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2020, 08:32:44 PM »
In reality a poorly placed/rushed shot is unethical. A poorly placed 50 cal shot could find the animal running away with three legs, or grazed to die much later. No shot is certain, living targets move, get spooked etc.
If you hunt or shoot animals with something you know lacks the power of necessary penetration to hit vitals or extend the distance of any given air gun/firearm past it's effective range, that is unethical

True, but here's the rub
Both those things fall squarely on the individual hunters shoulder to know what they're doing and what they're doing it with and the limitations of both themselves and their equipment.
What one might think isn't enough gun to get it done, another experienced person will know how to use what he's got so that it's sufficient.

All boils down to the brain controlling the trigger finger.
  • Trinidad and Tobago

Offline Air Head

• I think I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure of that anymore.
  • Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2020, 09:27:45 PM »
If you hunt or shoot animals with something you know lacks the power of necessary penetration to hit vitals or extend the distance of any given air gun/firearm past it's effective range, that is unethical

True, but here's the rub
Both those things fall squarely on the individual hunters shoulder to know what they're doing and what they're doing it with and the limitations of both themselves and their equipment.
What one might think isn't enough gun to get it done, another experienced person will know how to use what he's got so that it's sufficient.

All boils down to the brain controlling the trigger finger.

I think we're in agreement.
  • Stalingrad, California USA
The best things in life are....
financially out of my reach...

Offline E30_S50

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2020, 09:49:41 AM »
This is just wrong!  Shooting an animal of this size with this caliber and FPE is cruel, unethical and plain stupid.  How can anyone condone and praise this?  Go ahead and ban me from this forum.  What is right is right and what is wrong is wrong.

I have a feeling you have not seen many hog hunting videos....watch a few more on YouTube. You couldn't have dispatched that hog any faster even if you used a 50 BMG. That was about as quick and painless as it gets...they usually kick and struggle much more even when shot with much more powerful weapons.

Of all the hunting videos on YouTube, this one is probably the least deserving of criticism for being cruel.
  • USA, NY, Liverpool

Offline Sqrl Klr

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Best to have and not need.
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2020, 08:06:34 PM »
He gone! Good job Manny.

Hogs are the cruel ones. They don't kill fawns that fast and even horses that way. I saw a guy the other day say he had the misfortune of seeing a group of hogs that got mad at a horse foraging too close to them and they disemboweled it which was not a slow death for the horse as they continued their attack until it finally died. I feel zero compassion for them after spending what would likely amount to a year of my life fixing my yard after they have torn it up where the yard is not the same now. Hogs get what they have coming be it via pit bulls chewing off their ears while holding them in place for hunters to be able to approach and knife them to death while they squeal or via quick death with guns. I don't tell them to go to the light. I tell them go to the pit. To hades with em.
  • Texas
There is much needed hope for the future. Our world is not falling out of place it's falling into place just as foretold. https://christinprophecy.org/

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Galatians 5:1

Offline Mod90

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2020, 07:46:18 AM »
Well Gil, I'm no psychic, but I sense you have some animosity towards the members of the Wild Shovel Nose Clan lol
But all kidding around aside.

Whatever one's reason for terminating the life of any living being, be it hosp, rat, song dog or hog,  always strive to do it the right way. As quickly and as painlessly as you possibly can. IMHO, that's the only honorable way to do it, to maintain one's own dignity and integrity as well as to retain the respect of the hunting community.
No animal should be made to have to suffer before it expires, no matter how big of a pest it might have been before it met its end at our hands.
Now, one's reason for killing is one's own, and we each have to be able to live with ourselves after the act. I've never wished an animal to damnation, but I don't judge the people that do. I did my part, wherever it's metaphysical existence ends up other than the dinner plate or the compost pile or as food for something else isn't my problem or concern.
  • Trinidad and Tobago