Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Disco .177 Wild Boar hunt,..Videos, pics & story  (Read 15954 times))

Offline NitroBobby

• Plinker
  • Sliding down into the rabbit hole!!!
Re: Disco .177 Wild Boar hunt,..Videos, pics & story
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2020, 02:10:52 PM »
great shot Manny.

it's always cool to see what can be done by someone with the knowledge and skills with these weapons. like many who follow your hunts, i wouldn't attempt such a hunt but I completely support you doing so. i can't understand when someone pops in with that stuff about it being anything but ethical. they just don't understand how long you've been at this and the amount of work you put in.

thank you for posting these videos. i really think it's fascinating to see what these PCPs are capable of, even if it's not something I would attempt.

kgb
  • North West CT, USA
FX Impact X (.30 / .25/ .22) <Giggity>
Benjamin Marauder (.25) MDRL Bull Pup
Benjamin Discovery (.22) BNM Breech/Boyd's "At-One"
Benjamin Marauder Pistol (.22)
Kral Puncher Breaker (.177)
Remington NPSS (.22) w/ CBR trigger
Gamo Shadow Sport (.177)
Crosman 2100 Classic (.177) RIP... :(
Crosman 1377 Pumpmaster Classic (.177)

"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.  -John Basil Barnhill, 1914

Offline Nomadic Pirate

• Hog Seeker
  • News and entertainment
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2020, 08:32:35 PM »
Thank you Keith, and everybody else for the kind words.
  • North Shore Oahu Hawaii
Evanix REX Carbine         .357  180 FPE
Evanix REX Mini-Carbine    .357  150 FPE
Evanix REX Mini-Carbine II  .357  150 FPE
Evanix RainStorm  II           .30  100 FPE
Evanix RainStorm  II          .30   85  FPE
Evanix Storm Bushgun      .30   70  FPE
Evanix MAX-ML               .25   65  FPE
Evanix RainStorm II          .25   60  FPE
Evanix Storm II Model 70     .25   50  FPE

Offline DKG

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2020, 05:37:46 PM »
No shot is certain, living targets move, get spooked etc.

This is a fact, this passed deer season, I shot a small buck at 42 yards, the shot was a perfect behind the shoulder shot. Just as a clicked the safety off and squeezed the trigger, he stepped forward and I hit further back than I wanted. I still got lungs, but just clipped one and a solid hit on the other. I was thankful to find him piled up 40 yards away. But it shows that even a perfect shot can change quickly.
  • Cleveland, New York
Current Airguns:                     
Daisy 880 (pest count-2)       
Crosman 760 (pest count-1)    
1300KT (pest count-2)
Marauder F&T .22 (pest count-4)

Offline Sfttailrdr46

• Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Me at Devil's Tower Wyoming August 2000
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2020, 10:30:37 AM »

This is a fact, this passed deer season, I shot a small buck at 42 yards, the shot was a perfect behind the shoulder shot. Just as a clicked the safety off and squeezed the trigger, he stepped forward and I hit further back than I wanted. I still got lungs, but just clipped one and a solid hit on the other. I was thankful to find him piled up 40 yards away. But it shows that even a perfect shot can change quickly.
Although the statement may be very true as an experienced hunter myself when the shot is taken with great patience and not rushed the chance of wounding vs a clean DRT is minimized. Not rushing the shot and knowing all of the factors involved is the difference between making the shot and not.

I do not take a shot unless I am sure of success that includes good clear sight picture then take the gun off of safe . Once I am sure that the safety click has not spooked the game I will take my shot.
 I was hunting wild pigs many years ago and as I took the shot the pig heard something that caused it to turn . My shot was not a clean miss and I ended up tracking a wounded pig for 1/2 hr before I had an opportunity to finish what I had started. When I finally was able to examine the boar it had a ~6" cut wound on the right shoulder. Although I'm certain that based on healed scars he had been hurt worse by other males when fighting for the privilege of propagating the species.

Even the perfect shot can go wrong which is why having a rifle that is capable of quick followup shot is not a bad thing.

Bottom line is don't judge others based on your own level of skill
  • Long Island N.Y.
AA S510 Xtra Fac .177 RH Walnut FS
Rainstorm II .22
Air Speed .25 Smile Machine
FX Crown .25 w/600 mm Barrel
Gamo Whisper Fusion .177
Gamo Swarm Maxxim .22
Marauder GenII .30  Boyd's TH 100+ fpe
RWS D34 .22
RWS D460  .177  
PP700 SA ,22 PCP pistol W/Rocker1 LDC & Red Dot
CP2 .22 Pistol/Carbine
SPA Varmint .177
Freedom 8 & Guppy CF Tank & 45 min SCBA

Offline DKG

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2020, 02:37:07 PM »

Although the statement may be very true as an experienced hunter myself when the shot is taken with great patience and not rushed the chance of wounding vs a clean DRT is minimized. Not rushing the shot and knowing all of the factors involved is the difference between making the shot and not.

I do not take a shot unless I am sure of success that includes good clear sight picture then take the gun off of safe . Once I am sure that the safety click has not spooked the game I will take my shot.
 I was hunting wild pigs many years ago and as I took the shot the pig heard something that caused it to turn . My shot was not a clean miss and I ended up tracking a wounded pig for 1/2 hr before I had an opportunity to finish what I had started. When I finally was able to examine the boar it had a ~6" cut wound on the right shoulder. Although I'm certain that based on healed scars he had been hurt worse by other males when fighting for the privilege of propagating the species.

Even the perfect shot can go wrong which is why having a rifle that is capable of quick followup shot is not a bad thing.

Bottom line is don't judge others based on your own level of skill

My case with my deer was somewhat like yours with the pig. It was a 42 yard shot and I know I can make that shot easily, he took a step as I pulled the trigger. Like you, I never rush my shots, especially on the deer in question as he was a buck the land owner wanted removed because of what looked like bad genetics (his antlers didn't grown right). As I squeezed the trigger, he moved. I hit enough lung for him to pile up within 40 yards, but I definitely would have preferred that he drop right there. I am still unsure of what caused him to move like he did, maybe I moved and made just enough noise without realizing it?
  • Cleveland, New York
Current Airguns:                     
Daisy 880 (pest count-2)       
Crosman 760 (pest count-1)    
1300KT (pest count-2)
Marauder F&T .22 (pest count-4)

Offline Bryan Heimann

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2020, 02:50:49 PM »
I would not lament a shot that hit both lungs.  You still got a piece of both lungs even with the step.  Sounds to me like you know what you're doing and picked a good shot, with good results even when he took a step.  Nice work on that.
  • Knob Noster, MO
regularguy11B/ regular guy/ laid over