GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > Target Shooting Discussion Gate

How about a "Low Budget" challenge?

(1/4) > >>

Hoosier Daddy:
Que Ear Candy

Shooting with the Grand Daughter I do not bring out my best shooters but rather my low end guns to "Handicap" myself to what she has. We have a blast plinking. Tonight she was off her game! so I got out a target and her Crosman Raven with a Nc Star scope was WAY off zero, so I sighted it in at 10M then out to 20yrds. After some adjustments I was hitting the 9 ring consistent.

Then here is an idea I had.
How about a Target Match for all the members who can not afford a Top End or even a Mid Level gun... those of us who are just starting out or have a fetish for low end stuff to try and do the best we can with what we have?
 I see new members every day with a budget springer, or a pumper they picked up and want to have some fun. Why shouldn't they be able to compete in a match suited for them and see what they can do?
 No fair in a "Casual 10M match" with a $100 springer competing with us members with airguns costing over a grand that are purpose built for punching one hole groups.
 And us older members may be a little humbled with having to go back to our roots and dig out our old guns we have stashed and try to do the best we can with equipment built to lower standards back in the day.
 Here is what I propose.

* MSRP of the rifle must be under $100
* Range must be 50 ft
* Two classes, Jumpers (springers  / NP) and PCP (CO2 / SSP /Pumpers)
* Bench (bag) rest is allowed or free hand if preferred ...but no gun vice.
* Open sights, Dioptler (peeps), or FIXED POWER Scopes can be used HOWEVER the combination total must be under $125
* Targets (and more detailed Rules) would be the 50' match found here ( http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=114644.0 )
* Honor system is used for the gun, but it must be listed. Any competitor who is called upon to verify cost must post a verification link of what the Airgun originally cost. For example: I have a Crosman Quest 1000X that came with a CP 9X32 scope.
A Quest 1000 sold for $99 LINK and the 1000X "combo" was $105 HERE.
I think this would promote the match gate for member who maybe can not afford a "Match" air gun yet want to get into the comaradery we find here in the forum.

Thoughts?
Suggestions?

mobilemail:
I like the general idea, the application could get a little messy. For example, what would you call an OEM B-26 compared to a MM full-tuned B-26?  What about the "MSRP" of out of production models?  What about the MSRP of the guy who bought his Beeman twenty years ago, as compared to what it is now?   

Maybe you could kick up an informal "Winchester Challenge", "Gamo Challenge", or, more easily implemented, a "China Rifle" challenge?

Rat Sniper (AKA: PaulT58):
What about refurbs?  The most accurate gun I own is a refurbished game Whisper Fusion.  I paid $89.99 for it at Sportsman's Guide and added a Leaper's UTG Huntsman 3-9X32 scope I picked up for $39.99 at Optic Planet!  Technically, that does pit me over the $125.00 limit by $4.98, but if I put a scope that came with another rifle, that wasn't purchased separately, I could easily be under $100!

Sorry, great idea, I don't mean to muddy the waters any more than mobilemail!

39M:
I'd like if only the front of the rifle could be supported.

I call some of my shooting benchrest, but it's really just me using a chairback or a deck rail to steady the forestock.

grimeszee:
I have a B3 that I would easily come under the $120 mark. I also agree with a front rest only setup to at least put the shooter in a control the rifle position.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version