GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > Target Shooting Discussion Gate

2nd 10 meter target "AIR" rifle

(1/13) > >>

Taso1000:
Hello All,

I have recently been searching for a 2nd 10 meter target air rifle.  My first 10 meter rifle is a CMP refurbished Daisy 853.  While it is a great rifle I would like a second rifle a couple steps up in quality, easy of use and a better trigger.  I would also like the rifle to be dependable and not require constant maintenance.  I have an hpa hand pump so I can do a pcp.  It goes without saying that I'd like the rifle to shoot better than me.  One hole groups from a machine rest would be favorable but if that puts me in the $3000 range then I will have to accept egg shaped groups.   ;)  I do not need the current cutting edge technology because this rifle will be used at home to hone my offhand shooting skills.  Since this is new area for me I don't know what I need exactly.  I need to learn to use match sights or could a low powered scope be an option?

As I have started reading and researching, and if I was to buy new, so far I think an Air Arms T200 may fit my needs in the $500 range.  I would go up to $1000 if the benefits were there.

I am not averse to buying a used tier one match rifle.  I have read about FWB 300S and 603.  The problem is I have not seen any of these rifles come up for sale in the classifieds so they are hard for me to obtain. 

Thank you All in advance for your help and suggestions!

Taso

mobilemail:
For precison rifles: "Jim E" on the airguns.net classifieds is a regular and well know purveyor of precision airguns on airguns,net classifieds. That site is a scam magnet, so you should be reeeeaaaaallllllyyyy careful engaging anyone else.

You could also do well talking to Pilkington guns, Precision Airguns, and Champion's Choice.

Taso1000:
Mark,

Thank you!  I heard of a Jim E. in my reading but didn't know where he was.  I was first hoping to get suggestions and narrow down what I need from my new Gateway To Airguns family.  :-)   

Once I know what I'm looking for, I will go outside of GTA.

Taso

ac12:
When you say "this rifle will be used at home to hone my offhand shooting skills," what do you mean?  Is this for hunting or target shooting and for TS air or center fire?  The reason for this question is the selection of rifle.  A 10m match rifle is about 11 pounds.  A hunting rifle is NOT that heavy, and is not shot like a 10m match rifle.  A center fire rifle has recoil to manage, which air does not.

Are you interested in pure accuracy, or just to have a fun 10m rifle?

For fun, I would go with one of the classic spring match rifles; FWB 300, Anschutz 380, Diana 75.

For accuracy; SSP, co2, CA/PCP.
And I recommend a used tier 1 rifle, rather than a new tier 2 or tier 3 rifle. 

CO2 is fine, but it has an issue/problem when shot in HOT ambient temperature.
I shoot a co2 AP and have never had a problem...so far.  But I don't shoot in 100+ temp.

I think there are now several generations of CA/PCP rifles out, so the earlier ones are available used.  And you should be able to get one for under $1k.

Keep an eye on the targettalk.org for sale section.

Jim Edmondson primarily brings in vintage spring match rifles, and some SSP.  I recall him saying there was some issue/problem preventing him from bringing in gas rifles (co2 and CA/PCP), though I don't remember the reason.

For sights, you could use a scope, but as a 10m shooter, I am biased towards diopter match sights.  I used to shoot another match using a scope and did NOT like it.  The scope (even down at 3x) magnified my wobble, making it harder to shoot.

Finally, you NEED to protect your back when you shoot a 10m AR, or you could develop back problems.  The standard AR stance (both American and European) is rather hard on your lower back, when holding an 11 pound rifle.  AR shooters use a shooting jacket that provides support for the upper body.  Having a variable size waist (usually expanding), instead of a shooting jacket, I use a back belt for my lower back.

Taso1000:
AC12,

You are right.  No where did I specify air.  I've made the correction in the post subject and intro.  Sorry All for the confusion.

When I get home I will read the rest of your post and respond.

Thank you,

Taso

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version