Author Topic: Vortek PG4 Reviews?  (Read 310 times))

Offline txaggie929

• Shooter
  • yes
Vortek PG4 Reviews?
« on: November 23, 2021, 08:36:21 PM »
Saw that Vortek has the new PG4 kit, which Iím
debating for my R7.

Anybody installed this kit and have any opinions or observations?

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
Re: Vortek PG4 Reviews?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 09:12:51 PM »
Yes I've installed several of these. The standard Hw30 HO kit is very nice. I had problems with the SHO kit. On one gun I did, the foot on the cocking arm needed to ground and polished. This was to prevent the sharp edges of it from peeling slivers of steel from the steel outer spring guide. Something to check for. If you do I use the Vortek piston seals they are excellent.
  • USA,
Hw30- .177- Vortek PG2, Tech sights
Hw30 Laminate- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke
Airmax 2-7x32 AO. 
Hw30-.177 Vortek PG3 steel, Hawke Vantage IR 2-7x32 AO
Hw50- .177- Vortek PG3, Hawke 4X non A/O
Hw95- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40
Hw97SE (Green 77 Laminate stock)-.177 Vortek PG3, Hawke 4-12x40 Airmax
P1- 0.20 now .177
R1- 0.20 - Vortek Pg4, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
R9 SE (Blue Laminate stock) - 0.020- Vortek PG4, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO

Offline Mrblonde40

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 08:35:14 PM »
I've got one in my HW95, they slightly lessen the spring noise, and smooth out the firing cycle quite a bit. If I end up getting another gun, I would install another.  I'm not sure what a stock HW95 will do power wise, but with the HO kit it's doing 15+ fpe.
  • Chesaning, Michigan, USA

Offline Frank

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 10:37:52 PM »
You might check the Tom Gaylord blog : https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2021/11/hw-50s-part-4/    He is installing a Vortek PG3 in a Hw 50S , lots of advice and pictures. You could pick up how to information by checking it out.
I have Vortek kits in a Diana 350 and a 34. I could hardly shoot the 350 it kicked so bad, now it is a joy it is so tame, and able to hit things with it, keep it on target.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 10:44:50 PM by Frank »
Frank, North Central Arkansas, USA

Offline Sky

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 10:46:04 AM »
I recently put them in a hw30, 50, and 97. They are definitely better than the pg2-3 kits, just due to the metal guide. Much less likely to crack.
  • Eugene, Oregon
HW97k
R7
Beeman ss1000
IZH 46M
Crosman Fury
Hatsan Mod 25
Benji Trail 725XL
RWS 350
Rws 34 t06 synthetic
RWS 34 t06 walmart
Umarex Embark SAR

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 06:38:52 PM »
I recently put them in a hw30, 50, and 97. They are definitely better than the pg2-3 kits, just due to the metal guide. Much less likely to crack.
Ed people cracked the plastic outer guides during installation. If you're not careful, particularly if you use a spring compressor the guide can hang on the edge of the piston skirt during reassembly. It's always been in the instructions to stop compressing if you feel resistance. Now people still don't read instructions and they crush the ends of the steel guides over. This was always installer error.

There's been other issues with other clearances but the material itself wasn't to blame. I have the same plastic PG2 kits in my Hw95 and Hw30 since 2015 and 2016 respectively. Both guns have tens of thousands of shots on them. I just changed out the first spring on the 95 and I'm on the third spring on the 30. The 30 has untold amount of shots on it and I left it cocked over the weekend which softened the second spring. In any event all of the original plastic parts are still intact. The only time I had a problem with a Vortek plastic outer guide is when the trigger end of the spring broke on my Hw50. It ballooned the guide. Tom at Vortek replaced the whole thing. They're not perfect but they are generally pretty good. It's best if someone has some mechanical skills and awareness if they are going to try to install one.
  • USA,
Airmax 2-7x32 AO. 
P1- 0.20 now .177

Offline Sky

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 09:05:40 PM »
Ed people cracked the plastic outer guides during installation. If you're not careful, particularly if you use a spring compressor the guide can hang on the edge of the piston skirt during reassembly. It's always been in the instructions to stop compressing if you feel resistance. Now people still don't read instructions and they crush the ends of the steel guides over. This was always installer error.

There's been other issues with other clearances but the material itself wasn't to blame. I have the same plastic PG2 kits in my Hw95 and Hw30 since 2015 and 2016 respectively. Both guns have tens of thousands of shots on them. I just changed out the first spring on the 95 and I'm on the third spring on the 30. The 30 has untold amount of shots on it and I left it cocked over the weekend which softened the second spring. In any event all of the original plastic parts are still intact. The only time I had a problem with a Vortek plastic outer guide is when the trigger end of the spring broke on my Hw50. It ballooned the guide. Tom at Vortek replaced the whole thing. They're not perfect but they are generally pretty good. It's best if someone has some mechanical skills and awareness if they are going to try to install one.

I cracked one on install on a 97. Definitely my bad, I didn't realize the cocking shoe needed to ride on it. The pg2 in my 30 did crack. I didn't notice it really. I only saw it when I replaced it with the vortek prototype gas strut. After that failed I went to pg4 and it the sublime 30 action you would expect.
  • Eugene, Oregon
HW97k
R7
Beeman ss1000
IZH 46M
Crosman Fury
Hatsan Mod 25
Benji Trail 725XL
RWS 350
Rws 34 t06 synthetic
RWS 34 t06 walmart
Umarex Embark SAR

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2021, 09:55:09 PM »

I cracked one on install on a 97. Definitely my bad, I didn't realize the cocking shoe needed to ride on it. The pg2 in my 30 did crack. I didn't notice it really. I only saw it when I replaced it with the vortek prototype gas strut. After that failed I went to pg4 and it the sublime 30 action you would expect.
You're a very honorable guy. Few people ever admit to a mistake publicly. I'm proud to converse with a honest man.

Yeah the Hw30 with any of the PG HO kits is pretty sublime. The new PG4 Hw30 SHO didn't impress me. It only made the gun harder to cock and didn't make any more appreciable power. I think the HO kit pretty much maxes the gun out before you start losing it's endearing qualities. They generally start off a little over 8 fpe and settle down to 8 or just under 8 fpe after a few thousand shots.

Take care.
Ron
  • USA,
Airmax 2-7x32 AO. 
P1- 0.20 now .177

Offline Sky

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2021, 06:27:35 PM »

You're a very honorable guy. Few people ever admit to a mistake publicly. I'm proud to converse with a honest man.

Yeah the Hw30 with any of the PG HO kits is pretty sublime. The new PG4 Hw30 SHO didn't impress me. It only made the gun harder to cock and didn't make any more appreciable power. I think the HO kit pretty much maxes the gun out before you start losing it's endearing qualities. They generally start off a little over 8 fpe and settle down to 8 or just under 8 fpe after a few thousand shots.

Take care.
Ron

I haven't used any SHO kits. Just HO and 12(for the 177 97). I don't chase power really. Just smoothness.
  • Eugene, Oregon
HW97k
R7
Beeman ss1000
IZH 46M
Crosman Fury
Hatsan Mod 25
Benji Trail 725XL
RWS 350
Rws 34 t06 synthetic
RWS 34 t06 walmart
Umarex Embark SAR