GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Hunting Gate

Hunting with HW97 or underleavers

(1/2) > >>

JxMAN25:
How do you guys think a HW97 will preform as a hunter, well any underleaver for that matter? thanks guys

longislandhunter:
I hunt with my .177 and .22 CFX as well as my TX200 and they work fine.  They aren't as fast to reload as a break barrel but with practice I've gotten to the point where I can reload fast enough to make a second "back up" shot if it's needed, however with their accuracy a second shot is rarely needed   ;D

Jeff

Benny:
I hunt with my .22 HW57. It's lighter and handier than my HW77 in the thick brush. Like Jeff said, reloading is a little slower than a break barrel but not by much.

Ben   

JxMAN25:
ok thanks guys. if you know anyone who is selling a 97 or 77 let me know. Where are the best places to hunt rabbit? grass fields maby? thanks for the help guys

longislandhunter:
When it comes to hunting rabbits the best thing to do is hunt either very early in the morning, right after sunrise, or very late in the afternoon...just before the the sun sets.  Rabbits do come out in the middle of the day at times but for the most part they are nocturnal.  Hunting either real early or real late will give you the best chance of running into one.  As for where to hunt..... I find the best place for rabbit hunting to be areas where open grassy areas and thick bushes or briars meet.  Late in the afternoon I'll slowly work my way along these areas constantly scanning up ahead for bunnies that are coming out to feed.  Go slow, only a step at a time, and take long pauses in between steps.  You'll be amazed at how many bunnies you'll catch coming out of the thick stuff to feed.   You can also nail bunnies by slowly working your way through thick briar thickets.  The shooting can be difficult due to the problems getting a clear shot, but if you go slow and are very observant you can spot them sitting in their cover and you can easily get within 10 yards of them by moving very slowly and quietly.  These are my 2 favorite ways of air gunning bunnies and the technique works very well for me. 

Also, if you have an area that you feel may hide a good bunny population take a walk through the area after a snowfall.  Rabbits make a lot of tracks during their night time feeding and it's very easy to see if an area has bunnies living in it and if so where they are hanging out  ;D

Jeff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version