GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Optics, Range estimation & related subjects

Etched Reticle Low Power Choices?

(1/5) > >>

Methuselah:
Hello and good mornin GTA!

I'm looking for another scope, this time not a junker throwaway like my Optima's that came with my Hatsan 125 (also a throwaway, incidentally...).

Main use will be to be able to tell the difference between a HOSP and nuthatch or finch at 10 to 15 yards.

I can barely tell the difference (most of the time) without a scope in bright light, and the 4X no-name originally on my Rem Express actually makes ID harder  ::) but provides cross hairs...

So, I'm wanting high enough quality to move it later if desired, lifetime warranty from a company that has the integrity to honor it (obviously not Umarex...), low power, AO, and etched reticle is preferred. Also a biggie for me is no illumination.

I've got scopes on most of the .22's and find myself partial to the Hawke 2X7 (not etched) and UTG (illuminated) but don't want to dethrone them.

My first candidate is the Hawk 2X7 AO etched, which seems to run almost $200, a lot for a $40 Daisy 880 but it could later be moved. I'm not opposed to spending more, maybe up to the $500-$600 range for something phenomenal for the price-point if it was closeout or on sale but would probably want it to come with a removable sun shade if I'm going to shell out that much and it would have to be "that much better/clearer" than my 1st choice.

I suppose used is also an option if warranty was transferrable, but I really want new options first.

Any ideas welcome in for a 2X7, 1X4, or similar low power candidate?

Bayman:
Hawke Vantage IR 2-7x32. The IR series has an etched reticle. Nice scope a little cheaper than the Airmax.
Not sure if it'll hold up to 125 isn't that a magnum?

Methuselah:

--- Quote from: Bayman on May 25, 2023, 11:36:10 AM ---Hawke Vantage IR 2-7x32. The IR series has an etched reticle. Nice scope a little cheaper than the Airmax.

--- End quote ---

It's going to be on the Daisy 880. I'm not familiar with the Airmax brand, but if the scope eventually gets moved it might end up on a powder burner. For now though intended use will be close range on that 880...

Bayman:

--- Quote from: Methuselah on May 25, 2023, 12:20:15 PM ---
--- Quote from: Bayman on May 25, 2023, 11:36:10 AM ---Hawke Vantage IR 2-7x32. The IR series has an etched reticle. Nice scope a little cheaper than the Airmax.

--- End quote ---

It's going to be on the Daisy 880. I'm not familiar with the Airmax brand, but if the scope eventually gets moved it might end up on a powder burner. For now though intended use will be close range on that 880...

--- End quote ---
I'm sorry I missed some critical pieces of information. Airmax is Hawkes top airgun model. They have etched reticles.

Fwiw. You can put any optic on an 880. At the ranges you specified you should be able to identify a hosp with any half decent scope. I prefer the Hawke scopes too. I would think a Vantage 2-7 AO would've been fine. Even with the wire reticle. The IR Vantage does have an etched reticle but not sure if it's worth it on a short range 880

Methuselah:

--- Quote ---I'm sorry I missed some critical pieces of information. Airmax is Hawkes top airgun model. They have etched reticles.

Fwiw. You can put any optic on an 880. At the ranges you specified you should be able to identify a hosp with any half decent scope. I prefer the Hawke scopes too. I would think a Vantage 2-7 AO would've been fine. Even with the wire reticle. The IR Vantage does have an etched reticle but not sure if it's worth it on a short range 880
--- End quote ---

Airguns of Arizona seems to have the Airmax cheaper than the Vantage (I think it's a 32 vs. 40mm for others I found though).

I could do without the scope all together and the sights are adequate for policing the bird feeder and just use binocs for ID'ing, but the main reason for another scope is it may find itself on a PB later.

Are there any other brands meeting my criteria? Again, it's non-illuminated, etched, low power, and will focus at close range (probably need the AO or side focus).

You are of course right, I don't "require" an etched reticle, but I've had wire reticles break or come loose before, so I'm not opposed to spending more on one that shouldn't do that. My initial research for a scope seems to suggest my criteria is a bit mutually exclusive BTW, many that meet most of my wants tend to have illumination - for me, that's just something to go bad or have batteries leak, extra weight, extra bulk, and they usually are pretty worthless anyway as they tend to flair, get left on, or on the rare occasion I want to use it, the battery was not in it...

Thanks for clarifying the Airmax thing  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version