GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Turkish AirGun Gate

Repairing or converting springs in Hatsan Edge/Striker Rifles

(1/4) > >>

mikeyb:
Awhile back I made an NP conversion for one of my Edge 22 cal rifles so I sent the same parts to GTA Member Tom to repair his recently failed rifle (Striker or Edge = same rifle, different stock). I also sent some Vortex size o-rings if he wants to attempt a Vortex re-seal and a better-fit spring guide if he wants to try a Hatsan coil spring.

I estimated there might be a slight drop in rated muzzle energy before my NP conversion but felt that was no problem. I just wanted it to be "ballpark" normal. My chronograph results were  14.3 grain CPHP @ ~795fps

(grain-weight x velocity-fps^squared) / conversion-factor = MEft-lbs
(14.3 x 795^2) / 450240 = 20 ft-lbs

I was pleasantly surprised by the actual results!
That's close to where Hatsan specs the rifle should be :

--- Quote ---Max Velocity* – Lead Pellets- .177 cal – 1100 FPS, .22 cal – 800 FPS, .25 cal – 700 FPS
Max Muzzle Energy* – .177 cal – 20 FPE, .22 cal – 21 FPE, .25 cal – 24 FPE
--- End quote ---

I suspect Tom's Vortex was weak or "fading" well before the complete failure. The conversion back to normal probably seems like a boost over spec. The real test will be chronograph data.
  Do you have access to a chronograph Tom?

My Hatsan 25 caliber rifles in the 27mm id comp tube family (Edge/Striker/Mod95/Mod85/Mod87) do tend to "breathe" better and usually shoot in the 20-22 fpe range. My 177s in that family shoot mostly in the 16-18 fpe range.

A replacement coil spring for the Edge/Striker is ~$20 not including S&H from Hatsan... IF they have any in stock. A replacement Vortex probably double that or more. When I ordered a bunch of coil springs, NP1s, NP2s, baffles, triggers, piston & breech seals from Crosman the NPs were ~$10 each and shipping for the whole order was $4. Now THAT'S a bargain! IMO Crosman has the best parts availability and lowest cost.

I recently converted an Edge to use a Crosman coil spring... just because I WANTED to try it.  The Crosman springs are slightly smaller than the Hatsan springs but were available for $6 each. I made a custom spring guide and a spacer to get proper preload (~1.5"). Spring is now close to coil bound at full compression.

Chrono results for that rifle were 14.3 grain @ 765fps.
(14.3 x 765^2) / 450240 = 18.6 ft-lbs
That worked better than I expected. There might be room for a little more preload/fpe, but the rifle shoots like new and the shot cycle is a nice firm THUMP ... so I consider it DONE!

IMO all these simple ~$100 mechanical/pneumatic system rifles (springers) are +/-10% as manufactured. To maintain the low cost high precision parts are simply NOT USED. There is also minimal (probably zero) part measurement/selection during manufacturing. Certainly a basic parts check (QA test) on a batch SAMPLE when the parts arrive at the factory, but no costly sorting/selection after that.

Hatsan likely specs the HIGH limit for best advertising so Hatsan spec +0%/-20% seems likely.

IMO the REAL Hatsan specs should be:

--- Quote ---Max Velocity* – Lead Pellets- .177 cal – 1100 FPS, .22 cal – 800 FPS, .25 cal – 700 FPS
Max Muzzle Energy* – .177 cal – 16-20 FPE, .22 cal – 17-21 FPE, .25 cal – 19-24 FPE
--- End quote ---

If you have one of these Hatsans and it is shooting within the modified specs above, I'd say it is functioning normally.

I'll be adding some photos and links later. The goal here is to have an informational thread which may help folks repair/restore their bargain Hatsan springers back to factory-normal operation.

Also hoping Tom can add some chronograph results of his repair/conversion to this thread :-)

A.K.A. Tommy Boy:
Hi Michael.

I do not own a chronograph so I cannot share chronograph results.

I was comparing the Edge to my Hatsan Vortex Striker and my Crosman NP Redtail.

The 25cal Edge with the the Crosman NP gas piston in it is sighted in at 25 yards.
It is shooting 43.2 gr Eunjin pointed pellets out to 35 yards with no appreciable drop.

Best Wishes - Tom

mikeyb:
Nothing really new. Just adding some quick links and refreshing the post.

Some data on Vortex Air springs and other manufacturers Gas springs...
https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=196304.40

Data corrections and some info on Hatsan Edge conversion to NP...
https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=196304.msg156286955#msg156286955

Some Vortex Air springs don't have or no longer have bleed screws...
https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=196304.msg156290551#msg156290551

Type2 Vortex with no bleed screw and drastic way to depressurize...
https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=186696.msg156143583#msg156143583

O-rings in some Vortex Air spring models...
https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=204885.msg156399374#msg156399374
https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=204885.msg156421749#msg156421749

A.K.A. Tommy Boy:
Hi All.

As long as Michael is updating I thought I would too.

The Crosman NP gas spring conversion that Mikeyb supplied me for my Hatsan Edge is still working great.
Accuracy is spot on with both the 22cal barrel and the 25cal barrel that I have for this gun.
I also have a Hatsan Vortex Striker that is the same age as the Edge. The Striker is still shooting strong.
When the Vortex gas spring failed in the Edge, it had been subjected to sub zero temperatures for well over 24 hours.
It was cocked and loaded out in my garage last winter, all set for a quick shot of opportunity.
I was trying to take out a cottontail rabbit that had destroyed some of my wife's flowers during the previous growing season.
I did not have the garage furnace running so it was really cold in the garage, maybe as low as -10F as it was -25F outside.
When I pulled the failed Vortex gas spring it still had some air in it but not enough to move a pellet down the barrel.
I suspect that gas spring seals get really hard when they get that cold.
If that is true then they could leak and fail in those temperatures.
From now on I will use only my coil spring guns in really cold weather.

Best Wishes - Tom

Snatchcan:

--- Quote from: A.K.A. Tommy Boy on August 12, 2023, 04:18:18 PM ---Hi All.

As long as Michael is updating I thought I would too.

The Crosman NP gas spring conversion that Mikeyb supplied me for my Hatsan Edge is still working great.
Accuracy is spot on with both the 22cal barrel and the 25cal barrel that I have for this gun.
I also have a Hatsan Vortex Striker that is the same age as the Edge. The Striker is still shooting strong.
When the Vortex gas spring failed in the Edge, it had been subjected to sub zero temperatures for well over 24 hours.
It was cocked and loaded out in my garage last winter, all set for a quick shot of opportunity.
I was trying to take out a cottontail rabbit that had destroyed some of my wife's flowers during the previous growing season.
I did not have the garage furnace running so it was really cold in the garage, maybe as low as -10F as it was -25F outside.
When I pulled the failed Vortex gas spring it still had some air in it but not enough to move a pellet down the barrel.
I suspect that gas spring seals get really hard when they get that cold.
If that is true then they could leak and fail in those temperatures.
From now on I will use only my coil spring guns in really cold weather.

Best Wishes - Tom

--- End quote ---

I had the same thing happened with my NP Benji several years ago. I was shooting it outside while the temps were well below zero and about the 20th shot the pellet hit about 4 feet low. When I went to cock it again there was almost no resistance. After it warmed up to room temperature, it was slinging pellets at Red Ryder speeds and eventually just quit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version