GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Machine Shop Talk & AG Parts Machining

Deburring Tumbler

(1/2) > >>

Ronno6:
Do any y'all use a vibratory tumbler for deburring aluminum machined parts?

I'm thinking about something like this:   https://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal-vibrator-tumbler-67617.html?_br_psugg_q=tumbler

Rob M:
I have one. it does work , its kinda loud.. Choosing the right media is the biggest challenge, some of the rock blends leave a nasty film on aluminum parts ..

Ronno6:

--- Quote from: Rob M on April 19, 2023, 12:22:54 PM ---I have one. it does work , its kinda loud.. Choosing the right media is the biggest challenge, some of the rock blends leave a nasty film on aluminum parts ..

--- End quote ---

The media selection guide indicated 220 grit aluminum oxide for deburring aluminum..

When I turn parts on my Logan, the part being turned is out in the open and accessible with a flat file.
Parts made on the Hardige are up close to the collet and the vertical cutoff slide really limits accessibility.

So I seek a solution to avoid hand deburring...........

And, for the record, I AM seeking opinions and suggestions..........

OTmachine:
We used to just stick the stock out a little further and use a double 45* tool, (90* included angle), to chamfer the part-off area pre part-off to chamfer both the back of the part and the start of the new part simultaneously.   Then part-off.  You are using bar stock?  Then, move the stock up to the stock stop to set length for the next part, and you already have a chamfer on the front edge.  The bar feeders we used had spring fingers.  HTH

Ronno6:

--- Quote from: OTmachine on April 20, 2023, 01:54:00 AM ---We used to just stick the stock out a little further and use a double 45* tool, (90* included angle), to chamfer the part-off area pre part-off to chamfer both the back of the part and the start of the new part simultaneously.   Then part-off.  You are using bar stock?  Then, move the stock up to the stock stop to set length for the next part, and you already have a chamfer on the front edge.  The bar feeders we used had spring fingers.  HTH

--- End quote ---

Yes, I am using 3/4" dia aluminum bar (rod?) stock.

My DSM59 Hardinge has a #7 vertical slide cutoff attachment that mounts right at the collet.
I refer to it as a guillotine........
Position of that mechanism on the machine is the determining factor on how much stock is fed out for the operation.

The leading edge of the part has a convex cut around the rim, so chamfering of that face is not required....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version