All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Machine Shop Talk & AG Parts Machining

Understanding valves [beginner]

<< < (3/4) > >>


--- Quote from: sb327 on April 18, 2023, 09:19:19 PM ---I made a couple of sketches with notes.

PLEASE BE AWARE. This is not intended to be all inclusive. The op asked about the basics and that is all Iím attempting to portray. The notes are only my opinions and very GENERAL in nature.

There are other combinations of poppets and seats. A ball in a seat can be a poppet.

Dimensions are not always critical to function. For instance, id of a plenum is not as critical to function as the wall thickness is to safety.

Lots to go over but here are some basics.


--- End quote ---

These are helpful, thank you.

Here's a little bit closer.  Still don't have the correct dimensions for the seat nor the clearance for the poppet.  I don't know how to draw springs with flattened and ground ends. 

Regarding valve terminology, here's a PCP diagram I drew up a while back after several searches left me empty handed.

Basically the only difference relative to the valve you're modeling is that it lacks a check valve...a pumper stores its air in the valve whereas a PCP has air in both the valve and the reservoir.

@nervoustrigger , thanks for the diagram.  It helps to know what the nomenclature is.  I need to estimate some of the ID'S and depths of my 1322 valve to finish up this model.  That means finding some pins or drill bits to fit check the holes. 

For giggles, once it is complete I will try to machine one.  It will be a test of my abilities, but will be fun to try.  If I don't deviate from the original design, maybe I will be able to get it to work.  If it's a flop, I hope to learn from the experience.  Have to start some where...

I started out with airguns because of interest.  This lead me to machining, which took me into another rabbit hole.  I've poked my head out of that hole and found the AG rabbit hole again.  We'll see what happens next!

A good set of ball mikes and or half ball mikes, I use both types
called small hole gages comes in very handy,
in sizes from 1/8" to 1/2" usually comes as a set of sizes,
along with pin gages that come in several sizes,

Full ball type

1/2 ball type



[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version
Powered by SMFPacks Media Embedder
Powered by SMFPacks Alerts Pro Mod
Powered by SMFPacks Ads Manager Mod