GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > 3D printing and files

"Constraining" is Paining!

(1/3) > >>

rsterne:
I am getting used to using FreeCAD, and the fact that you have to do everything twice, make the sketch and then confirm the lengths and positions of everything is a real PITA.... ::) .... I am used to being able to specify the "delta" between points and lines, so that they end up the correct distance apart, without having to do that in 2 steps....  >:(

If anyone can suggest a shortcut to the process, as a Noob in FreeCAD I would appreciate it!....  8)

Bob

sb327:
I figured there would be a pro step in here.

I use freecad but I’m still learning some of the tricks.

I don’t worry so much anymore about constraints. If I know the sketch is what I want, I go ahead with the extrusion, hole, etc. The only thing that keeps that from happening is a broken plane. I generally try to zoom in really close on my intersections to see if the endpoints are off (non-coincidence)

Hth, someone better should come along.

Dave

Gippeto:
I don't know of any way around doing the constraints...would be nice. As would a simple "offset" in the sketch workbench. 

While it's true that you don't absolutely "need" to fully constrain "simple" sketches, it's a good habit to get into and will save you grief on projects that are slightly more complex.

As an example...prototyping a 1911 grip frame for 22xx. Was a nightmare to get the filleting to work until I started over with fully constrained sketches. Will eventually be a cast/machined part.

Privateer:
Don't use FreeCad myself but I understand one can do Python scripts for things?

sb327:

--- Quote from: Gippeto on March 25, 2023, 02:26:21 PM ---I don't know of any way around doing the constraints...would be nice. As would a simple "offset" in the sketch workbench. 

While it's true that you don't absolutely "need" to fully constrain "simple" sketches, it's a good habit to get into and will save you grief on projects that are slightly more complex.

As an example...prototyping a 1911 grip frame for 22xx. Was a nightmare to get the filleting to work until I started over with fully constrained sketches. Will eventually be a cast/machined part.

--- End quote ---

I agree they are more important with more complicated parts.

Fwiw Bob, the lock feature is a quick way to constrain a point (intersection).

That grip reminds me of one I designed for a 22/45.

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version