GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > Target Shooting Discussion Gate

Painting metal swingers... what do you use?

<< < (2/5) > >>

desmobob:

--- Quote from: maraudinglizard on February 15, 2023, 01:42:09 AM ---I use a cotton swab and a cheap bottle of nail polish remover to clean the spray tips on the cheap can paint.

--- End quote ---

That sounds easy and convenient.

A friend told me he pops the nozzle off the spray can after use and puts it in a small jar of acetone and gives a shake.  He said that keeps the nozzle open for the life of the spray can of paint.

desmobob:

--- Quote from: Back_Roads on February 15, 2023, 08:17:22 AM --- Bright colored Masking tape, SWMBO is a professional painter ;)

--- End quote ---

Cool!  I didn't know there was such a thing...

The reviews showed a bunch of folks saying it didn't stick well.  I bet if I gave my targets a shot of 3M Super 77 the tape would stay put.  I'm going to put the colored masking tape in my next Amazon order.

desmobob:

--- Quote from: WildCJ5 on February 14, 2023, 11:40:46 PM ---All the new nozzles seem to be garbage.  The rust oleum farm and implement paint has the older style nozzle and does not plug up. I shoot a lot in my yard and I am constantly painting my targets. After I use it I do hold the fan upside down and spray until paint stops coming out.

--- End quote ---

That's good info, regarding the nozzle type.

These days, the manufacturers generally use a cap that needs to be removed with a screwdriver, so you can't compare the nozzle types of the cans in the store.

Firewalker:
I'm a different cat altogether, I use Titanium Dioxide mixed with mineral oil to cover my steel targets, it remains 'wet' and can simply be brushed back over the hits.

Non-toxic, low cost in comparison to spray paint and lasts a very long time. Bell targets are often coated with this.

desmobob:

--- Quote from: Firewalker on February 15, 2023, 08:41:18 AM ---I'm a different cat altogether, I use Titanium Dioxide mixed with mineral oil to cover my steel targets, it remains 'wet' and can simply be brushed back over the hits.

Non-toxic, low cost in comparison to spray paint and lasts a very long time. Bell targets are often coated with this.

--- End quote ---

Ah ha!  That's the kind of home-brewed whitewash I was thinking of.  Thanks for sharing that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version