GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > 3D printing and files

Looking for a CAD/CAM program

<< < (9/9)

Gippeto:
You need "some" foundation to get started. In Freecad, that's making a sketch and constraining it.

You're likely past that already, and I would just start doing your projects...going to youtube when you hit stumbling blocks and looking for the specific thing.

First things I worked on were upgrades for my printer, some were simply "download and print", the spool holder was mostly a scratch design with the insert for the vertical extrusion being sliced off a downloaded model.

JMO...the sooner you dive into doing your "own" modeling the better...it provides motivation and keeps things interesting. It will not be long before you'll be finding all sorts of uses for the printer.

WobblyHand:
I went with the series of videos on FreeCAD for Beginners by Adventures in Creation.  Never made it through all of them, but got through more than a dozen of them.  At that point, I was more than capable of learning on the job.  What you end up learning is there's quite a few ways to get stuff done, but some ways are far easier than others!  In the beginning, I had to replay the videos quite a few times, and even slow them down, to make sure I saw every move or change to get to the next step.  After a while, I played them full speed and didn't have to replay so often, because I understood where things were.

For designs that may change a bit, (or haven't been fully thought out) I like to use spreadsheets, which are embedded with the design.  Then I can simply change a value in the spreadsheet and the design automatically is redrawn. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version