GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Hunting Gate

Two guns, two hunts

(1/2) > >>

Furseeker:
I was able to get out of work 30 minutes early today so I knew I could sneak in a quick hunt down at the dairy before I was expected at home. So I stopped by the dairy and quickly readied the Big Cat for a short hunt. I was able to connect on 3 black birds, but to be honest my shooting was terrible today. All the shots came from the corn pile and I was positioned about 35 to 40 yards away. I could tell that I wasn’t missing by much because I would see the pellets striking the corn pile all around the birds. But a miss is miss and I was totally disgusted with my inability to connect. I know the birds are small and constantly seem to be on the move, but deep down inside I knew my shooting was sub par. I didn’t waste anytime taking pictures down at the farm but snapped a few photos when I got home.  After the photo session in the front yard I went in and did a few chores around the house, before the wife got home. When she came home we talked a little about each other day and ate dinner. After cleaning up I mentioned I my grab a gun and head down to the dairy for a little while, and when she voiced no objection I was headed out for the second time this evening.

Still being a little discouraged about my earlier performance with the Big Cat I opted to take the Remington on the second trip. And quickly found myself going 3 for 3 on the first couple of shots. The ECD’s are still pretty spooky so I started taking shots at anything that landed on the corn pile. It was a nice little evening hunt and I just sat next to the car in my lawn chair and enjoyed the shoot. I did have a few fly offs but not near as many as I’ve had the last couple of hunts. I saw a few squirrels and even missed a shot at one of them. Once the sun starting setting it was too difficult to find the birds in the scope so I walked around picking up the birds and setting up for an on site photo shoot. I’m sure there is no real problem with the Big Cat but that’s one nice thing about having a few different guns, you can change it up when you’ve lost a little faith in one. Even with the terrible shooting I still racked up a few birds tonight, and even scored three more Eurasian Collared Doves for another dinner. Enjoy the photos.

longislandhunter:
Great hunt and really enjoyed the pics.  Don't feel to bad about the missed shots with the BC....it happens to all of us.  I've had plenty of times where my shooting was not up to par and I know it wasn't the gun.... it was me.  The next day I'd grab the same gun and hit darn near everything I pointed it at.... go figure.   All in all you had a great hunt and managed to come home with the fixins for a superb meal..... it just doesn't get any better n that   ;D  I love  your dairy farm hunts.....  I"m already looking forward to the next one....

Jeff

dk1677:
Very nice group there!

Mebits:
I sometimes have a heckuva time with the BC. It is hold sensitive, but not in a linear way. I actually shoot better with a slightly *tighter* hold.

That's fine, but if I'm stressed or annoyed, I might hold a bit TOO tight. Missing won't help.

In any case, I feel your pain.

only1harry:
Nice shooting Dave!  Springers are quirky and tough to shoot consistently especially when you are under pressure hunting in the field. 

It looks like you have plenty of targets at that farm so you will have many more opportunities.  Remember to regularly check the stock, mount and scope screws.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version