Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: What is your most MEMORABLE single shot?  (Read 312 times - 1 votes) 
)

Offline Bear-of-Grayling

• Shooter
  • yes
What is your most MEMORABLE single shot?
« on: January 14, 2022, 09:26:59 AM »
It was a sunny early Spring afternoon in Michigan nearly 30 years ago. I had just gotten the newly released Beeman P2 (HW75) pneumatic pistol. I was sitting on my deck with my 10 year old daughter just talking, shooting and enjoying the spring sunshine. Down a hill in a leafless tree top was a beautiful colorful song bird just singing along also enjoying the sunshine. Must have been some 40-50 yards away. Impressed with the accuracy this new pistol was giving, I loaded, turned and lifted the pistol towards the treetop. My daughter said; ‘Daddy you’re not going to shoot that pretty little bird are you’? ‘Honey I couldn’t hit that bird if I sat here all afternoon’. I then raised the front sight about 20 feet over the bird (forgot how good I was with my BB gun at dropping in an overhead shot) an pulled the trigger. Moments later with the bird dangling upside down by a toenail, swinging back and forth from the tiny branch he was singing on, my daughter ended our conversation by running off screaming and crying. I must say, very impressive accuracy. My most memorable (unforgettable) shot.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 10:08:28 AM by Bear-of-Grayling »
  • USA, AL, Robertsdale

Offline Ribbonstone

• GTA Senior Contributor
Re: What is your most MEMORABLE single shot?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 12:06:27 PM »
Luck count?

Something like 1981….just got an HW 35e returned from Beeman repair (an upgrade to the new piston/piston seal). 

Opened box….put the old scope back on… over cast sky, but good light...though I could see the pellet in flight against that back ground, so took a shot at a grackle at 70 yards (safe shot where I lived back then).

That was one very unlucky grackle.  Set one wing, came down in a helicopter spiral.
  • Louisiana

Online avator

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Happiness is a warm airgun... -Lennon Modded-
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2022, 12:22:49 PM »
Off the top of my head, this one has to be up there on the list.
Cooperhead with a 766 and 20yds, if memory serves me.
I have no idea how it happened but those 2 holes in the top of it's head in pic 3 were made with one shot.

• From deep within the Rabbit Hole, Alabama

Online avator

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2022, 12:26:36 PM »
Then there was this guy at 10yds with Willie G. Stubbs from the seat of my zturn.

Online superchikn

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2022, 12:51:26 PM »
A few years ago I was out punching paper at 30 yds with my .177 Diana 34.  I was running out of light and about to call it quits when my neighbor said " I hear you cant even shoot the flame off of a candle".  I was "on" with my gun that day and went to get a candle.  I set it at 30 yds lit it, and since the light was failing there would be no question if I hit it or not.
One shot and lights out.  I had cut the top third of the wick off.

I heard "holy %^*&" as I walked out to retrieve my candle, grabbed my rig and walked into the house with a silly big grin on my face.
  • SE Pa.

Offline Matchstickshooter

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2022, 01:28:07 PM »
 Years ago, had just gotten a Ruger Airhawk.  Hadn't spent much time with it yet, when a red tree rat got into our bird feeder. I ducked out, he ran up the tree.
 I could just see his chin and tail, he was on a branch high up, (I was standing right under him).  Put the cross hair on his chin and triggered. He did a somersault in the air and landed at my feet.  8)
  • Lyndon,Vt.
Crosman 1377RC pistol .177 slightly modded
Crosman  1322 carbine  .22
Crosman   2240 carbine .22
Crosman 760 metal from parts .177
Crosman 1400 Slimline   .22
Daisy Powerline 853c     .177
Daisy M/M 880 Shadow (FrankenDaisy) .177
Daisy Adult Red Ryder     BB
Winchester 1100s           .177
WF600P (Chinese B3) underlever .22

Offline bantam5s

• They might sound like a lot of work till you realize you only need 3-4 pumps for plinking.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 02:10:01 PM »
August 10 2020, 10yds with my '79 blue streak, sitting rested on my knees.

I made that perfect shot and could not replicate it, I tried and tried but just couldn't do it again.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 02:16:22 PM by bantam5s »
  • USA CA Arbuckle
some days you kill it and some days you choke, some days you blast off and some days you just smoke

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2022, 02:45:31 PM »
This was PURE LUCK. I was walking with my cousin in clearing behind his house when three pigeons were flying tightly together towards us at about 30' off the ground. I said,"Watch this!" swung the the 760 up one handed at the hip, pulled the trigger and watched a pigeon shutter and careen into the ground. My cousin said, "HOLY SHI/! I can't believe you just did that." Truth is I was more stunned than he was. It was a completely lucky shot that made family legend. I felt bad after the fact when I found out it wasn't the typical NY flying rat but of his neighbors carrier/racing pigeons.  :-[
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 02:47:54 PM by Bayman »
  • USA,
Hw30- .177- Vortek PG2, Tech sights
Hw30 Laminate- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke
Airmax 2-7x32 AO. 
Hw30-.177 Vortek PG3 steel, Hawke Vantage IR 2-7x32 AO
Hw50- .177- Vortek PG3, Hawke 4X non A/O
Hw95- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40
Hw97SE (Green 77 Laminate stock)-.177 Vortek PG3, Hawke 4-12x40 Airmax
P1- 0.20 now .177
R1- 0.20 - Vortek Pg4, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
R9 SE (Blue Laminate stock) - 0.020- Vortek PG4, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO

Offline mobilehomer

• Trained professional. Do not try this at home without adult supervision and trained medical staff on site.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2022, 05:17:54 PM »
Yes luck. Trail NP2. 40 yards. JSB 18. First shot of the day.
  • White House, TN
If we had some ham, we could have some ham and eggs..... If we had some eggs!!

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067

Online avator

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 07:39:29 PM »
True story...
Some time back my sister and BIL (RIP ED) were visiting Betty Lou and I and we were outside shooting targets. There was a very thick leaf laden Magnolia tree maybe 30 yds. down range. We couldn't even see the trunk for the leaves. There was this annoying startling (trash bird) in there someplace that just would not shut up. Betty Lou finally had enough and pointed her Beeman P17 pistol at the tree and said "Shut the h3ll up". She pulled the trigger and that bird fell out of that tree straight down DRT. We shot the rest of that day in peaceful bliss.

Online superchikn

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 07:53:22 PM »
Betty Lou's single shot is the best one yet.  ;)
  • SE Pa.

Online superchikn

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 07:58:13 PM »

I made that perfect shot and could not replicate it, I tried and tried but just couldn't do it again.

That's why I'll never try and shoot the flame off of a candle again.  My record is perfect... I've never missed... say it however you want but I can only go down from there.
  • SE Pa.

Offline bantam5s

• They might sound like a lot of work till you realize you only need 3-4 pumps for plinking.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 08:24:35 PM »

That's why I'll never try and shoot the flame off of a candle again.  My record is perfect... I've never missed... say it however you want but I can only go down from there.
Definitely,  and I don't have that first target anymore either.
If I remember correctly I took the picture after making that shot and foolishly decided to make it a 3 shot group.
I may have to get that picture printed put as wall art for the man cave because I won't have it forever otherwise.
  • USA CA Arbuckle
some days you kill it and some days you choke, some days you blast off and some days you just smoke

Offline JackMan

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 08:36:33 PM »
Let's go back a few years, I was in college living in a garage apartment.  350 square feet. I lived on top of the garage. It was a small garage built in the 1920s.  The toilet was just next to a window and out the window was a china berry tree.  I kept a Benjamin pump .22 for defensive squirrel maneuvers.  I was enjoying my Sun a.m. constitution with coffee, newspaper and a cigarette, when I noticed two squirrels eating the tree fruit.  I wrapped things up, pumped up the Benjamin, and slid the window open slowly and took a seat.  Five minutes later I have a squirrel three feet from my face enjoying one of these fruits or seed pods.  He ignored me and turned around and I used that as my opportunity to point the gun at him and had the barrell 9 inches from his rump when he turned and I pulled the trigger. 

Ah, alas, I lost the squirrel to the two retrievers from the yard next door where the squirrel lay.  Those retrievers where fat.  I will never forget the look on the squirrel's face. 
  • USA, OH, Hudson

Offline Tater

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Insert creative saying here
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2022, 03:08:09 AM »
Moved to the Hunting Gate.
  • NW suburbs of Chicago
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .177, DonnyFL Sumo ldc - For sale   
.22 Disco/Maximus mix, Rocker1 ldc
Gamo Hornet .177
1377, steel breech, TKO, 12" barrel, R. Arms Innovations AR stock

Offline Bear-of-Grayling

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2022, 10:07:30 AM »
It was a sunny early Spring afternoon in Michigan nearly 30 years ago. I had just gotten the newly released Beeman P2 (HW75) pneumatic pistol. I was sitting on my deck with my 10 year old daughter just talking, shooting and enjoying the spring sunshine. Down a hill in a leafless tree top was a beautiful colorful song bird just singing along also enjoying the sunshine. Must have been some 40-50 yards away. Impressed with the accuracy this new pistol was giving, I loaded, turned and lifted the pistol towards the treetop. My daughter said; ‘Daddy you’re not going to shoot that pretty little bird are you’? ‘Honey I couldn’t hit that bird if I sat here all afternoon’. (Just trying to make it fly) I then raised the front sight about 20 feet over the bird (forgot how good I was with my BB gun at dropping in an overhead shot) an pulled the trigger. Moments later with the bird dangling upside down by a toenail, swinging back and forth from the tiny branch he was singing on, my daughter ended our conversation by running off screaming and crying. I must say, very impressive accuracy. My most memorable (unforgettable) shot. Also my last “ unintentional ” living shot. Learn from me.

Cleared up for the faint hearted. That’s me.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 10:15:09 AM by Bear-of-Grayling »
  • USA, AL, Robertsdale

Online Back_Roads

• I Got A 10 Pump BB Gun :) BB Guns Got Much More Complicated :)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • 1st Edition Crosman 760 Pump Master
    • Back_Roads Airgunning
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2022, 10:48:14 AM »
 Thinking this may be my most memorable shot...
 My cousin and I were at a friends hanging out in the garage, friend spots a starling in a shrub 30 yards from the garage doors, my cousin grabs a .22 Marlin, takes 3 shots all misses, grabs the 20 gauge shoots once misses, I grab the old rusty 760 leaning in the corner, pump it 10 times, click the sight to the 4th notch, where I remember mine from years ago, to be on target, take aim shoot, bird drops DRT  :o We examined the deceased, thinking it was delayed result of the 20 gauge shot, but were amazed it was my shot with a rusty BB that made the hit  8)
 BTW my cousin is no slouch when it comes to shooting, must of been his off day LOL
  • Wisconsin Collins ;Hunters Paradise; Theres a Sign in town to prove it :)
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3hMPAjvTtuu7DoNzBZzuKQ?view_as=subscriber
 Below is a collection of helpful airgun videos
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLASJo4rBxMImx-kNnbppkIBV86G5Yentf

Offline Firewalker

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • USN from birth to the grave
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2022, 11:01:51 AM »
July 1976, first year I had my Crosman 760, my dad told me I could not shoot birds with it, he was on his way home about 5 in the evening when I came out the back of the garage and saw a Starling on the power line in the backyard and took aim.

Open sights, Kentucky windage, stroked the trigger just as my dad turned into the driveway. I stood the gun up in front of my legs so he couldn't see it and walked out the back of the garage. Propped the gun against the back of the garage and much to my chagrin, the Starling was still on the wire, holding tight with both feet.

My dad got out of his service vehicle, grab his lunch pail and is thermos and made his way through the open garage door to the back of the garage where he had seen me when he drove in. I was staring at that wire silently whispering "drop, drop, drop"!

Just as my dad cleared the back door, the Starling finally let go and fell into a shrub directly below the wire. My dad asked me what was wrong, I looked white as a sheet and I said I didn't feel well. I missed out on dessert that night, he thought I perhaps had a stomach bug.

• USA, MN, Mille Lacs
...Like i say " i dont mind a pellet picky gun as long as cphp are what it picks"

Online mikeyb

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2022, 02:25:44 PM »
Late Fall 1977 I was walking solo down a semi-frozen muddy access road on some old overgrown farmland just after sunrise. Walking, pausing, listening, scanning the low brush and nearby trees for rabbits and squirrels. It was cold and sky was uniform gray overcast so I easily noticed a lone black bird flying along the path of the road directly towards me about 100' up. Yes, I know NOW that unbacked high/sky shots are a BAD idea! But as a teenager back then I didn't THINK, I just reacted. Shouldered the Crosman 766, clicked off the safety, found the bird in the open sights, lead by ~4' and let the single pellet fly. Was reaching into my pocket for another pellet, because I was certain that shot was wasted, when I heard the distinctive POP of a wadcutter pellet hitting home. I watched that bird (a Starling) drop like a rock out of the sky about 10' behind me. I was proud of that "LUCKY" shot but knew none of my other hunting buddies would believe it. No photos, videos, or witnesses so I guess it never really happened? ;-)

I'm still proud of that lucky sky shot but now know it is too reckless/dangerous to ever attempt again.
  • USA, NY, Rochester
Too many toys & not enough play time!

Offline lefteyeshot

• without hope, without fear
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2022, 03:07:30 PM »
Put 5 out of 8 .177 pellets in a 3x2.5-inch bullsey at 100 yards with my Diana 470th.
  • Savannah, Ga.
Diana 470th, 56th, 350 PC
BSF c60
Parrus wood
Dominator 200 carbine
Proxima
Synergis
Win. 1000w, 800w, 1100w, 1100s
Webley .22 Jaguar
Mendoza RM2800 repeater
Norica Massimo .22, Black Eagle
CZ631, 2 CZ634
Hammerli X2 dual cal.(Mendoza)
Beeman RS2.177/.22
Air Hawk Elite wood T.H.
Storm in Benj. T.H. stock, GRT
3 Crosman 3100(Spain)
Steoger Ducks Unlimited X3
RWS93 (Spain)
RWS320 (China)
2 TF99, TF59 GRT
TF89 (chopped, shrouded Beeman .22 Brl.)
B40, B26-2, B21, B20
2 B3-1
4 Peak B4-2
Model 62
2 QB6,
2 QB57
2 Fast Deer
2 B3-1AK
AR2078B, AR2078TH
Zogunz Hawk 010 .22 (Phil.)
XSP 120D single stroke dual cal. pistol
P17, Steoger XP4 single stroke pistol