GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > China/Asian AirGun Gate

Dragonfly Mk2 Two Month Review

(1/5) > >>

sandog1:
I like this rifle.
One thing I've learned though, if a screw can come loose on anything, it will certainly come loose on the DF Mk2.
I was keeping up on the Phillips screws on the fore arm, then found that the steel block that the trigger guard screw and stock screw attaches to had got sloppy loose.
Then the sear adjustment screw on top of the trigger started wandering and my gun had firing/cocking issues until I readjusted the screw.
Blue Loctite has been applied to all those.

Pumping has gotten smoother/easier but man that pump stroke is long. If my arms were any shorter it would be awkward.
I place the rifle upside down between the legs while shooting at the bench. Pumping isn't that loud if you remember to not let the handle close all the way between pumps. I only let it close all the way when done.

No matter how I place these two rifles together, the DF MK2 always looks huge compared to the Stormrider. In this pic the Dragonfly looks 6-8 inches longer, in reality the DF MK2 is only 1 3/4 longer than the Stormrider with the moderators I'm using.

I tried the long factory moderator off of my Stormrider on the Dragonfly, it made the sound of a shot with 12 pumps sound more like 2.
As the DF is already pretty long, I decided to shorten it. I removed one long and one shorter chamber and reduced the length of the moderator by almost 2 inches.
Since I had bought a Huggett Belita for the Stormrider, the modified Snow Peak moderator will stay on the DF Mk2.

I would have to agree with what Avator and others say about the CARM Mags. They stay in better, are easier to load and top off, and even easier to insert into the breech.
My factory mags are harder to get into the rifle, especially when that clear cover has moved slightly.
I also like how, if you want to leave an empty CARM mag in the gun, just turn the rotor slightly and the bolt will close.

My factory single shot tray is also pretty much junk compared to the CARM swing out SS tray. The Carm doesn't scoot out when you load it, and it is MUCH easier to get a pellet in there.
When I use the factory SS tray, I have to hold it in place with the other hand while I drop a pellet in, or it moves. Then, because of lube on the pellet or oil from your fingers, most times the pellet will briefly cling to my finger as I pull it away, and flip the pellet around.
With the CARM, push the pellet into the hole and close. Way more positive.

Last month I saw a video where a guy had bought a carbon fiber sleeve off Amazon and put it on his Stormrider barrel.
In theory, the sleeve when tensioned will help accuracy. I liked how the real skinny 12mm barrel was now 16mm with the sleeve added, for a mere 2 ounces of weight. The barrel blends into the breech and moderator nicely, and the barrel is protected from nicks.
Downside would be moisture being retained between the barrel and sleeve. I'm not worried about this, because 1), I live in Arizona, 2) it's not like the sleeve is epoxied on and permanent. Just remove the moderator (or the front sight unit on the DF MkII) and slide the sleeve off to wipe down the barrel.

Location of the sleeve will be interrupted by the barrel band. The guy that did the CF sleeve video on Youtube didn't bother to put a short piece between the barrel band and breech. I thought that the Stormrider band was a bit too close to the breech leaving the rest of the barrel hanging out in space.
I moved the band out near the end of the air tube but the band will need the overhanging "wing" ground off, so the CF tube can rest against both sides of the band.
The CF sleeves come in a two pack, and the last few weeks I had been planning to put the other sleeve on the DF 2.
Easy enough to remove the plastic front sight assembly with the two small screws that hold it and slide the CF tube on.
For now I decided not to disassemble the air tube to get the band off and grind the wing, for now the Dragonfly just has the CF tube forward of the band.

The item is Carbon Fiber Tube 16mm (2mm thickness) 16mmx12mmx420mm 3K Twill Wrapped Roll Matte Surface, 2 pcs. by CN CarbonFiber.
The 420mm length is enough (barely) for the DF MK2. That length on the Stormrider was about 1/4" short so I used a spacer.
Buying the 500mm length would give you plenty of extra. This inside diameter of 12mm will work with most of the Snow Peak guns like the Chaser and Bandit.
While I agree that the benefit is mostly cosmetic, it sure hasn't hurt the accuracy any. Both rifles will still boringly place any of the medium and heavy JSB pellets almost in the same hole. I mounted an older Konus compact 4x with Sportsmatch medium rings, it is a good combo for the Dragonfly.

avator:
Nice write up Lee.
Thanks for the tip on rotating the mag to close the bolt after the last shot. I don't normally leave the mag in because i use them on other SPA guns that I have. I haven't used my CARM SS tray much and it still fits really tight... I need to break it in more. But, I rarely shoot single shots anyways.

w9trb:
My Google search fails me today. Where can I find a Carm single shot tray and/or a Carm magazine?

sandog1:
My Chrome laptop will only randomly let me copy a link.
The address is carm-magazines.com
Never mind, the laptop decided to co-operate this time.
https://www.carm-magazines.com/carm-magazine-for-smk-cp2-and-variants-in-high-capacity-variant.aspx
I see that Darko, the owner, offers a hi-cap mag for the SPA guns. It holds 12 pellets in .22 and 14 in .177.
But since it is a round shape instead of the common teardrop, you'll probably need high rings.

avator:
Yeah, My CARM mags fit just perfectly under my scope... I would rather keep the center of my scope closest to the center of the bore than higher and a few more shots in the mag. I have 2 CARM mags so carrying a loaded spare is plenty. And these mags are so easy to load. No fumbling like OEM SPA mags.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version