GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Machine Shop Talk & AG Parts Machining

What's wrong with my lathe motor

(1/6) > >>

jackssmirkingrevenge:

Lathe motor is turning very slowly even uncoupled from the belt and the lights dim when I turn it on, so it's obviously drawing a lot of current.

Any ideas what might be causing the issue?  The lathe is a Craftex CX708 with a single phase double capacitor 110V motor with a fixed speed but can reverse direction, and the issue happens in both forward and reverse.

Wayne52:
Evidently bad dry bushings probably in need of cleaning up ???  Doubtful that regular roller/ball bearings are used in that motor.  O lite bushings reamed to the right diameter would be your best bet ???

jackssmirkingrevenge:

--- Quote from: Wayne52 on November 07, 2022, 06:54:58 AM ---Evidently bad dry bushings probably in need of cleaning up ???
--- End quote ---

Are you sure it's not more likely to be an electrical problem?  It's done this intermittently a few times before.  The shaft turns freely and there doesn't seem to be any play:

sb327:
Dual capacitor, one starts, one runs

At low speeds, an internal switch turns on the start cap. Turns it off once up to speed.

Probably didn’t turn ON, the last time motor was shut off.

An old trick to check is to SPIN IT UP with a rope then turn it on.

The internal switch is just a large set of contact points on opposite end of shaft output. Cleaning those normally solves the issue but it could be a start cap.

Dave

jackssmirkingrevenge:
Thanks Dave!

--- Quote from: sb327 on November 07, 2022, 07:30:03 AM ---The internal switch is just a large set of contact points on opposite end of shaft output.
--- End quote ---

Would that be under this rear cover?

Edit: I assume it's the centrifugal switch that is described here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version