GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Wood Chop Shop (Working with wood)

Multi-task workbench from pallet wood

(1/1)

happymecanic:
Yesterday I started making an adjustable workbench to make my pistol wood grips, for I am sick and tired of messing on the kitchen table lol! The workboard is adjustable for elevation (12'' of travel) and inclination, and swivels 360°. I've used somewhat small bolts and plastic knobs for testing the geometry, but will replace them with knurled metal knobs and bigger bolts for the final version.  I'll also replace the rather thin 1/2'' pivot support with a thicker 1 1/8'' piece, and make a backer 1 1/8'' thick piece for the workboard itself.

This bench is made from maple, oak and birch pallet wood, it costs me nothing. I've used #12 wood screws I had for something like 15-20 years to assemble the bench, and the metal knobs and bolts will be made from scrap metal I had also. I'll be adding more attachment with time, but for now I really need it for airgun wood work .

The attachment you see is for pistol grips, and I will also make a gunstock checkering support so I can work on my rifle stock(s). Will post new pics when I can :) .

customcutter:
Excellent, I like the swivel, pivot joints! ;D  I occasionally tear into an air gun on the kitchen counter thinking it's an hour job, and finally 2 days later it's back together. :o  Our dining room table has 3 sewing machines on it, so the wife never complains about my taking the counter.  She just adjusts the menu accordingly. ;D 

happymecanic:
LOL! Thanks customcutter ;D .

This morning I installed the thicker pieces of wood on the jig, and replaced the small pivot bolts with 1/2'' x 4'' carriage bolts, with hex nuts and flat washers. I didn't made the metal knobs yet, a customer came in for a repair, so I couldn't do all I wanted. Nonetheless the work board is now rock-solid, so I was able to at least finish most of the checkering job on the first grip panel. There's some finishing left to do, but the hardest is done. Also the new tools I made cut very well, glad I took the time to make them.

Next step is to make a gunstock checkering attachment, more to come 8) .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version