GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Wood Chop Shop (Working with wood)

Nice new pallet wood - need help identify it

(1/2) > >>

happymecanic:
Just came upon this nicely grained pallet wood today, in not too bad condition. Two planks are 3'' x 1 1/4'' x 36'', 4 are 3'' x 7/8'' x 36'', enough for 13xx/22xx grip panels. Also will look good on other pistols, my Webley Nemesis and Walther CP88 Competition come to mind.

I'm not sure about what wood it is exactly, I'm strongly leaning toward mahogany though ??? . Anyone can tell?

maraudinglizard:
Looks like African Mahogany. Red Oak will throw grain like that on occasion. Definitely nice wood for pistol grips.

happymecanic:

--- Quote from: maraudinglizard on April 15, 2022, 06:27:23 AM ---Looks like African Mahogany. Red Oak will throw grain like that on occasion. Definitely nice wood for pistol grips.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Kris!

One thing that's for sure, it's definitely not a soft wood. This morning I cut the planks in smaller pieces, the wood cut cleanly without tearing, like maple or birch. There was a pleasant odour that I can't identify. I sealed the ends with a 50/50 mix of Danish oil and mineral spirit, it's easier to see the end grain now.

Hope the new pictures help.   >>Edit: First 3 pictures are before the cuts and sealant.<<

maraudinglizard:
I try to find stuff like that to turn on a lathe. The smaller stuff I would cut up to make into segment turnings. Nice find for sure.

buellm2:
A few years ago my company used to get a lot of pallets from the far east.    The warehouse guys would just throw them into the compactor after unloading.   On a few occasions when I was in the warehouse I would spot pallets with amazing wood.   If I was feeling energetic sometimes I'd carefully break the pallets down and bring the best pieces of wood home.    I'm pretty sure mahogany is a common hardwood in a lot of warm places and making pallets out of mahogany in those places is no different than using oak in USA.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version