GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Wood Chop Shop (Working with wood)

Recycled maple pallet wood stock for Crosman pumper build

(1/3) > >>

happymecanic:
I'm building a custom Crosman pumper : https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=197355.0 . I wanted to start a new thread for the stock, as it will be made from scratch, and may need quite a lot of work.

The butt stock is already roughly shaped, enough to have the stock screw hole bored. Once that was done I saturated the hole and end grain with finishing oil to avoid possibilities of cracks in this very dry pallet wood.

Instead of just making a shouldered hole in the wood grip, I decided to install a brass sleeve  for the screw to sit in. It will be epoxied in place, and installed before the final shaping, so the ends will be flush with the wood's surface. I'll be using slow-curing striking tools epoxy, had very good results in the past with that product.

More to come.

Hoosier Daddy:
 Interesting.
I have seen some really nice pieces of wood used for making pallets.
 Just the other day I saw one that I would SWEAR was made out if Red Oak.

Excited to see how this goes.

happymecanic:
Thanks Scott! In the past I scavenged some pieces of rather nice pallet wood: mahogany, black walnut, red and white oak, maple and pine. When you're around a shipping/receiving environement and you have your eyes open, quite often there's nice stuff to ''save'' lol!

Did some more work today. The brass sleeve is fitted and epoxied into the grip, will have a look at it tomorrow when coming back from work. I started to work on the forearm, had it roughed up and inletted for the tube. I secured the piece of wood in the milling attachment on my metal lathe and used a router 3/4'' box core bit to carve the tube channel. BTW you can already see some nice figuring in the wood, can't wait to see it with a nice oil finish!

dan_house:
careful with pallet wood

some of it is treated against insects and rot..... nasty stuff to breath if you saw/sand it

wolverine:
I made several jewelry boxes and cabinets for my sailboat's interior with pallet wood.  Not sure what it is, but after finishing it, you can't tell it from the other teak cabinets.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version