GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Machine Shop Talk & AG Parts Machining

Ruger Air Hawk tuned but still unaccurate..

(1/4) > >>

Springer25:
I opened up my Air hawk and noticed my seal was damaged on the middle not the outside that comes in contact with the compression chamber.  I just lubed everything in the gun and tarred the spring.  There was nothing on the spring when I pulled it out.  Also The rear spring guide is a piece of thin plastic!!!  So I put her all back together.

I shot about 30 pellets through it.  I then started using the chrony.  I had 2 shots that the velocity would go to 820 and it would sound different on firing.  That was in the begining but My average was around 900.  I had some dieseling not alot but that eventually went away.  my last two groups were averaging 900-910.  but I would get a shot that would be down to 870-880.  So I know that is the Seal that causing the large spread in velocity.

But the accuracy was bad.  I would start to get a halfway decent group and then it would shoot 2" right and low.   then way right high.. pretty frustrating.  Could the bad seal cause this???  BTW I changed scopes during the process.  and had teh same results.    I plan on putting in a new seal.  Maybe I should install a new spring.

What is your guys advice to make it more accurate?  

Thanx

MichaelM:
damage in the middle almost makes me think you been shooting those PBA pellets or some other ultra light pellet or your breach seal is bad OR the seal isnt fitting well letting the piston slam on its forward stroke...... when you pulled her apart did you just lube it or did you deburr everything too???? if you didnt deburr averything there is a good chance you nicked the seal up when you put it all back together...

also you said you tarred the spring.... but there was no tar when you pulled it back out..... did you use REAL heavy tar or some molly grease or whatever you had laying around????  because heavy tar stick to that spring pretty good and doesnt realy fling off at all...

also make sure your barrel is in there tight and the bolt has not loosened.... it could be loose causeing bad lockup with would also be throwing pellets around AND causing you to get a poor breach seal letting the piston slam....

prolly about a dozen other small things to check too but thats what I would start with....

Frank:
I had that trouble and took mine apart. Everything looked fine. The seal was in good shape but appeared to be hard. Why I thought to think that way I don't know. I had an extra seal that fit and it did seem softer or more pliable. Changed it and now shoots better than ever.  Hope this helps ......

Forgot to mention that before I took it apart it sounded different once in awhile, like a slam. Mine too gave me pretty good Chrony results before I took it apart. Guess that is why I thought about the seal and checked it. As a slam had to be the seal causing it.
I do not use the ultra-light pellets in any of my rifles.

Springer25:

--- Quote from: MichaelM on August 07, 2010, 05:35:14 PM ---damage in the middle almost makes me think you been shooting those PBA pellets or some other ultra light pellet or your breach seal is bad OR the seal isnt fitting well letting the piston slam on its forward stroke...... when you pulled her apart did you just lube it or did you deburr everything too???? if you didnt deburr averything there is a good chance you nicked the seal up when you put it all back together...

also you said you tarred the spring.... but there was no tar when you pulled it back out..... did you use REAL heavy tar or some molly grease or whatever you had laying around????  because heavy tar stick to that spring pretty good and doesnt realy fling off at all...

also make sure your barrel is in there tight and the bolt has not loosened.... it could be loose causeing bad lockup with would also be throwing pellets around AND causing you to get a poor breach seal letting the piston slam....

prolly about a dozen other small things to check too but thats what I would start with....

--- End quote ---

yea the lockup is very tight on the airhawk.  I used maccari's heavy tar for the OD of the Spring.  I don't use any PBA ammo.  all ammo I use is CPFP  crosman field points and hollow points.  But yea the seal went in pretty easy,  It probobly isn't sealing very well. and may be hitting the wall sometimes causing inconsistency.

Springer25:

--- Quote from: fnash on August 07, 2010, 05:41:02 PM ---I had that trouble and took mine apart. Everything looked fine. The seal was in good shape but appeared to be hard. Why I thought to think that way I don't know. I had an extra seal that fit and it did seem softer or more pliable. Changed it and now shoots better than ever.  Hope this helps ......

Forgot to mention that before I took it apart it sounded different once in awhile, like a slam. Mine too gave me pretty good Chrony results before I took it apart. Guess that is why I thought about the seal and checked it. As a slam had to be the seal causing it.
I do not use the ultra-light pellets in any of my rifles.

--- End quote ---

yea the seal was damaged.. it was noticable pretty big cracks.  but I didn't have any extra seals.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version