GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Back Room

GTA Wounded Warriors

(1/6) > >>

ezman604:
We are VERY proud to have several active duty as well as retired US military veterans among our GTA family members!!!!
I am especially happy to see our veterans involved in the sport of airgunning. I have been working on our Wounded Warrior Project airgun gift for several months now and to tell you the truth, I have run into a kind of a brick wall. The WHOLE idea of contacting the WWP Organization was to get some insight into our Wounded Warriors that are actually physically and mentally capable of accepting such a gift. We HAVE to consider and respect the veteran and their present state. So I hope you can see it has to be done with care and compassion.
After all this time, the organization is coming back saying they have no way of determining the abilities of our warriors to help determine a suitable candidate. So I would respectfully ask this.....
I (we) would be honored if our veteran GTA family members that are Wounded Warriors would post in this thread. I know we have several and I know of no other way to ask. You are here because of your love of the airgun sport and hopefully the feeling of being among a family. If you are uncomfortable posting this, please send me a pm or email instead. You should be proud (as we are of you) but I know a lot of you are also humble and do not seek recognition. I respect that but we ARE proud of you and owe you a lot.
Thank you for your service and sacrafices!!!!
SAFE & Happy Shooting!!!!
Dave
 8)

gy954:
Dave, thank you so very much for reaching out to our veterans. Please add my voice to those sending encouragement and support to the men and women who have sacrificed part of their lives--and in some cases, their bodies--to help keep us safe.

too2tuff:
Hi Dave,
Thank you so much for reaching out to us Wounded Warriors.  I'm sorry to hear the WWP could not help you out.  You are the second person who has said this to me.   
I am retired from the Air Force.  I served in Baghdad in 2003.  I participated in the Wounded Warrior Games in 2011 and 2012.  I have been selected to the 2013 Air Force Wounded Warrior Team.  I compete in Air Rifles and Archery.  Last year I ranked 4th in the Open Air Rifle Standing event.  Air Rifles has been an integral part of my healing.  I sometimes wonder where I would be without the opportunity to compete in the Warrior Games.  It was truly a life changing experience.
Keep up the good work!

drewciferpike:

--- Quote from: too2tuff on February 21, 2013, 01:12:52 PM ---I participated in the Wounded Warrior Games in 2011 and 2012.  I have been selected to the 2013 Air Force Wounded Warrior Team.  I compete in Air Rifles and Archery.  Last year I ranked 4th in the Open Air Rifle Standing event.  Air Rifles has been an integral part of my healing.  I sometimes wonder where I would be without the opportunity to compete in the Warrior Games.  It was truly a life changing experience.

--- End quote ---

1. Thank you for your service. I believe members of the armed forces simply don't hear that enough.

2. I hope you realize that you TOTALLY nominated yourself to help find someone that can receive our gifts. Haha. I'm guessing that there might be WW folks "thinking" of getting into it, and somewhere along the line the hook is set, and they get to the level at which you find yourself; if you could give us insight into how air guns even became a part of your healing, we might be able to bark up the right tree(s). There might be people that enjoy the air guns, but eventually choose not to compete, and I feel somewhere in that grey area we'll find a lot of candidates for GTA gifts.

Dave1899:
Dave, this is a wonderful thing the GTA is doing for our Wounded Warriors. Anything we can do to thank and help those that have served is a great thing.  I'm not active duty or retired military but I am a combat wounded vet. I recently retired from government service of over 41 years, 10 active duty and the rest working as a civilian in DOD hospitals and VA hospitals.  This in its self helped me in my recovery by helping active duty and retired service members. I know there are many deserving folks out there.  Thanks again for the GTA reaching out to us all.

David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version