GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Hunting Gate

1st blood for my Stormrider

(1/4) > >>

Wheelman:
My Stormrider drew its first blood today.
The day was relatively nice, compared to the last week or so where it was either really cold (single digits) or snowing.
So I ran a few errands, when I got home I scanned the trees in the back yard for any activity and spied a gray sitting in the big Ponderosa Pine.
I grabbed the Stormrider and went out the side patio door, the basement door is blocked right now, and found the squirrel still sitting where I'd seen it. He was quartering away from me but I still had a good angle on his head.

Earlier today I'd sighted in the gun with H&N Baracuda Hunter Xtremes (18.52gr) so that's what was in the magazine.
The shot was somewhere between 25 and 30yrds which is what I sighted in for so I held a little under to account for the angle and released the pellet.
It wasn't a very good shot, I pulled it, the pellet entered his right flank, passed through his liver and left lung before lodging between the skin and rib cage on the left side.
The squirrel ran/jumped to a different tree and bled out in a couple minutes before falling into the 14" of snow we just got.
I tried to get a second shot at it but there was a limb in the way so it wasn't possible.

This is the second pellet I've been able to recover, it was essentially undamaged but at least it wasn't a pass through.

I'm really liking the Stormrider, it's nimble, light and very accurate (when the shooter makes it so) and I've tuned it for low power to be back yard friendly.

Wheelman

aluminumfetish:
Nice ! It feels good to know that all the reading, all the tinkering, all the testing actually has a real life application. Two more just like that and you can make a nice snack. The air rifle has got to be the perfect squirrel rabbit set up.

xtred1:
Congrats! I shoot a Drangonfly and I too find the gun very handy.

ranchibi:
Ken, great way to christen your new Stormrider...nice shot! Congratulations!

dk1677:
Nice shooting Ken, congrats!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version