GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > Open Class Field Target

Using high-magnification scopes in FT ... zooming?

(1/3) > >>

gokidd:
Greetings, Open Class FT shooters:
As a new shooter in Hunter FT, I'm curious ... during a contest, do you use lower power magnification to locate a target, then zoom in?
I've never looked through more than a 12X scope, so very interested to hear your shooting routine when using much higher magnification.

Do you use the zoom ring during a contest?
Thanks,
Bob

Tpatner412:
Bob

Personally, if I have trouble finding a target through the scope, I will turn down the magnification to help find it.  Once located, then I will zoom in and range my target.  I usually shoot on 30x and range at 60x, so I change the magnification on my scope a lot.

gokidd:

--- Quote from: Tpatner412 on April 14, 2017, 01:07:19 PM ---Bob

Personally, if I have trouble finding a target through the scope, I will turn down the magnification to help find it.  Once located, then I will zoom in and range my target.  I usually shoot on 30x and range at 60x, so I change the magnification on my scope a lot.

--- End quote ---

Wow, very cool.
Thanks for the insight!
Bob

Tater:
Is field target possible at all with only a 12x scope?

TwiceHorn:

--- Quote from: Tater on April 14, 2017, 01:35:55 PM ---Is field target possible at all with only a 12x scope?

--- End quote ---

The American Hunter class is restricted to 12x.  So, yes.  It is one of the "handicaps" that compensates for the use of a bipod.  The other is the inability to adjust windage or elevation during the match (no "clicking" for distance adjustment).  Also, as Tyler notes, using a high mag/power can decrease the depth of field, making ranging better at higher power, particularly at longer distances, so having to range at 12x is something of a handicap, as well.  Some scopes do it quite well, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version