GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Vintage Air Gun Gate

79G Trigger/Hammer issue

(1/1)

airtight_python:
I've got a later model, non-adjustable S&W 79G that I can't figure out. When comparing schematics vs early models and Daisy models at JG, all correct parts are there and appear to be unmodified and in appropriate places. I also have an early 78G with adjustable trigger.

It has 2 hammer clicks. (Did later models have adjustable power via hammer?) When cocked to the 2nd click and the trigger is pulled GENTLY it catches at the first click. It will stay at this position as if only cocked to the first click. Follow through trigger pull and it fires normally.

bantam5s:
I don't know when the 2 position hammer was done away with, but my 1978 example ( last year made ) does not have that feature.

That is a very interesting problem you're having,  I don't know what could be causing it as I'm not particularly experienced with them but it sounds like the sear isn't releasing fully.

airtight_python:
Right. I didn't think this model should have even had the 2 position hammer. But according to schematics the hammer is the same part number, adjustable trigger or not.

I had thought it could be too much forward hammer travel and the sear could be catching over the wrong edge of the hammer. But even turning the power adjuster all the way in it still has full travel. And yes, 11249 is installed.

I guess I need to brake out the LabRadar and see where the velocity is at to start.

bantam5s:
Hopefully somebody will have an answer for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version