GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Optics, Range estimation & related subjects

Scope recommendations for different disciplines?

(1/2) > >>

customcutter:
I have recently started doing some BR shooting at 100yds+.  I also want to do some pesting and coyote hunting at 25-100yds.  I am not looking for a Brand or MFG, but types of scopes.  I've read that SFP scope will change POI when changing zoom magnification.  Anyone have experience with POI changing when zooming from low to high power with SFP?  I have also read that FFP scopes are difficult to see in low light due to the thin reticles.  I was considering getting one with an illuminated dot or center reticle.  I've also read that some of the less expensive ones are too bright and illuminate the entire reticle.

I would think that a 6-24X50 FFP would be a good choice for BR shooting hopefully I can make out the .22 caliber holes at 100 yds.

What type/power of scopes are usually used for FT?  I think it would be most similar to the pesting/hunting situations I am thinking of.  I know I can roughly estimate yardages using the parallax/side focus on the 4-16X44? 

I had looked at a 3-18X56 and thought it would be a good choice for a wider FOV when pesting rats.  I was concerned about the thinner reticle and the IR, also didn't know if there would be enough magnification to see holes at 100yds with the .22.

Any thoughts or other things I should be considering? 

Thanks in advance, Ken

Back_Roads:
 16x is max magnification allowed for FT Higher mag scopes can be used but set at 16x. My experience with FFP scopes, is the reticle is thin at low mag. but that would be for close range shots, longer range many complain that the reticle gets too thick, that can vary by brand, or style of reticle. I find that a non issue for pesting but can an issue for long range precision target work. Though the reticle and target remain equal in size in reality.
 IR bleed over is also brand specific, I rarely use it unless things are in a dark area etc. but could be a benefit with a FFP scope when the mag is set low, to define the fine cross hairs.
 MY basic take on scopes.

customcutter:
Thanks James.  I did try to find some more info and came across an article saying that 16X was maximum for FT.  Another article (or video) mentioned another type of FT (maybe unlimited or something similar), and they were using 40-50X magnification. :o  I didn't even realize they made rifle scopes with that much magnification.  I think my old spotting scope is 20-60X.LOL

I guess the advantage of FFP scopes is being able to use MIL's or MOA and range targets appropriately.

I did do some more 102yd target shooting and cranked my old Nikko Sterling 4-16X44 to 16X and could make out the .22 caliber holes at 102yds. ;D

Back_Roads:
 Good idea to watch some scope cam videos of different scopes in action, can give you a better idea of what you like and do not like in a scope options.
 One thing is get lots of adjustment and aim points, enough to do the dope, either dialing or holding.

Yogi:
Hunter Class in Field Target limits you to 16 X.  All other classes do not.
Sounds like you need three different scopes. ;D
A Picattini adaptor rail would make scope changes much easier.

-Y

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version