GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Air Gun Gate

Best multi pump option available

(1/9) > >>

Shinkers:
Okay, so I'm getting back into air rifles and I can't shake the idea that I think I would prefer a multi pump rifle for what I want to do (shooting in my back yard).

I've been looking at the Crosman 362 primarily, but still considering the Seneca Dragonfly. Then I saw that Baker has what looks like some nicely refreshed Blue and Silver Streaks.

I like that the 362 has part support and the ability to upgrade (I'd swap in a longer barrel and steel breech). The Dragonfly looks reasonably nice, but I do see some talk of people running into some quality issues. People seem to like Streaks but is it a good idea to buy an older gun if you haven't been working on rifles for a while?

If you were looking at getting a good reliable pumper, what would you be getting?

Spacebus:

--- Quote from: Shinkers on December 03, 2022, 12:10:50 PM ---Okay, so I'm getting back into air rifles and I can't shake the idea that I think I would prefer a multi pump rifle for what I want to do (shooting in my back yard).

I've been looking at the Crosman 362 primarily, but still considering the Seneca Dragonfly. Then I saw that Baker has what looks like some nicely refreshed Blue and Silver Streaks.

I like that the 362 has part support and the ability to upgrade (I'd swap in a longer barrel and steel breech). The Dragonfly looks reasonably nice, but I do see some talk of people running into some quality issues. People seem to like Streaks but is it a good idea to buy an older gun if you haven't been working on rifles for a while?

If you were looking at getting a good reliable pumper, what would you be getting?

--- End quote ---

Aren't the Streaks chambered in .20 cal? Ammo will be annoying in that case. I think the Dragonfly is a nicer gun than the C362, but both are good options. I have a 362, but I don't really care for the pump mechanism and wish I had waited on the DF MKII to be released. A few other guns on the same platform as the DF MKII are also in my collection, so spares would be easy as well. I'll end up with one eventually.

The C362 requires aftermarket parts if you want to mount any optics, but the aftermarket is certainly a bit more lively than the DF MKII, for now anyway. I think you can't really go wrong with either.

Goose:
Good questions, Paul.  Welcome to the forum.

If I was interested in something newer, it would be the Dragonfly.  But we don't know how deep the parts-pool will be as time goes forward.  The plastic parts put me off as they break more easily in the cold and will eventually deteriorate.  But it's easier to put optics on something more modern.

That said, I'd say go with a used Sheridan if you want.  I have a '64 Blue Streak that's never been repaired and it's still going strong.  Parts, tools, pellets, and repair services are available.  I got my first one in '77 and have never looked back.  But then, I'm "old school"...  Apparently.  ;)

Luck,

J~

DanD:

--- Quote from: Shinkers on December 03, 2022, 12:10:50 PM ---...

--- End quote ---

I can see the attraction of the 362 and DF2, but I'm hooked on vintage. For the money you'd have into a plastic 362 with the breech and barrel upgrades, you could get some classic American walnut and bronze to hand down to your kids. If you want something easy to work on, get a cartridge valve 392PA, 397PA, or C9A. But if you are a little bit mechanically inclined, the reseal kits from Pyramyd include the special tool needed for the older soldered valve guns. My favorite backyard pumpers are a '74 Streak, a '60 312, and a '74 342. I lean toward the Benjis because I love how compact they are.
Have fun!

Hoosier Daddy:
If you want a vintage gun a 'Streak is hard to beat. Parts are no longer made and the .20 ammo has little selection and availability.

I have no experiance with the dragonfly or the 362...

But the 392 has been around for a VERY long time. "Tried and True" and still has Crosman support.
I would snag a used wood stock one in a heartbeat. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version