GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Vintage Air Gun Gate

S&W Mod78g auction

(1/6) > >>

buellm2:
I picked up my auctioned Mod 78 today and couldn't wait to shoot it as soon as I got home.   First CO2 cartridge leaked out in a few minutes but I was able to get a few shots off.   The leak was from the CO2 piercer area.   I threw in a couple O rings from my Harbor Freight kit and it appears to be holding pressure..   I fired about 15 pellets and a bunch of dry fires and it's still holding pressure an hour later.

I bought it as an indoor practice simulator for my S&W Mod 41.   I was concerned that the 78G trigger wouldn't be as nice as the 41 trigger but its pretty good for first impression.   I'll have to do a side by side test 78G vs 41 before it gets too cold.

The 78 is in excellent condition with near perfect finish except for a crack in right grip.

45flint:
Curious does the 78 have power settings and how loud is it?

buellm2:
It's pretty quiet even indoors.   But I'm half deaf.   Not sure about the power settings, I don't really know much about this AG yet.  There are a couple screws under the muzzle that might be for adjusting power.

45flint:
Found this about the power adjustments:
https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2019/05/smith-wesson-78g-and-79g-target-pistols-part-1/

buellm2:
Steve, thanks for the excellent article.   My 78 has the two power positions selectable at the cocking bolt.   Not sure why it was designed to have the power also adjustable with the muzzle screws.  I'm pleased to find that the trigger is also adjustable.   I'm really wanting to shoot it some more now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version