GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Hunting Gate

Observations with my Zeus Thermal

(1/5) > >>

customcutter:
I went out Monday night to see if I could hear or spot any coyotes with my thermal.  As soon as I stepped outside, I heard 2 different packs of coyotes north of the house.  The terrain is rolling, and there are 2 streams within 300yds of the house running east to west.  The coyotes were close, probably 2-300yds at most and sounded like they were just over the rise between the 2 streams.  I stayed out for about 30-45 minutes and never spotted the coyotes.  They were just south of a group of cows in the north pasture that have been dropping calves for a few weeks.

East of the house about 2-300yds I spotted 3 deer feeding on acorns under a small oak tree.  The strange thing is that this tree is at least 300+yds from any other trees or fence line with any cover.  There were 2 other deer feeding along the fence line another 300+yds further east and back behind some old chicken houses and a new hay barn.

The only other critters I saw were an opossum that was feeding on table scraps from supper, and there was another opossum foraging along the rise between the two creeks north of the house.

customcutter:
I went out again on Tuesday night with the thermal trying to see or pattern the coyotes.  I saw the opossum on the rise between the creeks again.  Northwest of the house and probably 600yds away there were 3 deer feeding under another small oak tree in a different pasture.  Same situation, they are probably at least 2-300 yds from the fence line and the woods on the other side. 

I checked the south side of the house and there were 4 deer in the pastures on the other side of the road.  2 southwest about 400 yds away, and a doe and yearling just south of the house and just inside the fence on the other side of the road about 100 yds away.

I went to the east side of the house, and the same 3 deer were feeding under the lone oak tree again.  This time there were 3 deer back behind the barns feeding on the grass, and they slowly fed toward the deer under the tree.  The 3 deer under the tree started feeding toward the deer coming from the barn area.  I don't know if they had eaten all of the acorns, or if maybe they were trying to protect a food source by going to the other deer.   ???

HunterWhite:
Ken, nice description. I can envision your property,  modified by my own experience. It sounds very nice.
It's amazing the things you can see with a thermal viewer. You can see the heat leaves out of the house,  how much diesel or propane is in the tank, and oh yeah critters, lots of creatures.

Hunter

customcutter:

--- Quote from: HunterWhite on November 24, 2022, 04:23:45 PM ---Ken, nice description. I can envision your property,  modified by my own experience. It sounds very nice.
It's amazing the things you can see with a thermal viewer. You can see the heat leaves out of the house,  how much diesel or propane is in the tank, and oh yeah critters, lots of creatures.

Hunter

--- End quote ---

Thanks, we are visiting the In-laws for a few days, and yes they have a very nice piece of property.  It has 4 or 5 creeks and 7 nice ponds on it with lots of critters.  I use to hunt turkeys, but they've had a rough go for the last 3-4 years and the flocks have been declining.  I'm going to try and work on the coyotes, raccoons, armadillo's, and a few opossums that aren't right around the house.  These do are doing a cleanup service for table scraps so I'll leave them alone.  Ma and Pa like to watch the critters.  We just had over 20 dove land and feed on the sunflower seeds my wife put out yesterday while we were having supper.

Yes, thermals are amazing as far as how much detail you can actually see if they are adjusted properly.  I can easily see tree, telephone poles, fence posts, and barb wire.  Cars passing on the road actually look colder when they are approaching, it's not until they are even or past you that you pick up a heat signature off of them mostly the tires from the friction of the road.

ranchibi:
Ken, that Zeus Thermal sounds amazing and with a very clear view! Just need the yotes to get into the line of sight, will happen! Happy Thanksgiving 🦃🍁!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version